wtb, a keyboard for an eleven year old.

Berndt

wtb, a keyboard for an eleven year old.
« on: 24 Feb 2013, 03:34 pm »
My gfs eleven year old is taking piano lessons and wants a keyboard. Being the guy I am I loathe to spend any $$ for a piece of landfill. I have been given the task of researching better keyboard ideas. One that isn't total dreck. Used is perfect. Budget would be <500 $.
Thanks Bill.

Berndt

Re: wtb, a keyboard for an eleven year old.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2013, 03:35 pm »
Btw I could scratch up an amp if needed.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:12 pm »
If she's taking piano lessons, get a full size piano keyboard with weighted piano action keys, not an electronic keyboard with synthesizer/organ keys.  Because they are rather heavy you will probably want to buy local as well as check out the condition.

I would recommend one of the used Yamaha CLP models.  Check your local Craigslist, for example there is a used three year old Yamaha CLP-200 in my local Craigslist for $450.

Steve

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:35 pm »
Perhaps rent one just in case they get interested in something else.
I've seen where parents went all out on purchasing high quality instruments and after a while their attention went somewhere else and the
instrument sat in the closet.
Seen it with teens also.
Here's one and am I ever guilty,been a musician since I was 13 and over 50 now.
In Nov. I figured I wanted to try out Blues guitar and even bought a course(ultimate Blues Guitar Unleashed).
I went to Long&mcquade and rented a guitar,guess what I haven't even touch it yet :lol:.,and I'm still paying rent.
I gotta be some lazy as I know a bit about guitar and love the blues,soon I hope I'll get my  S_ _ _ together.

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2013, 12:09 am »
Thanks for the advice!