HD800 and LCD-2 Impressions

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: HD800 and LCD-2 Impressions
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:56 am »
Alex--I'm enjoying them, and like your first comments about the Audeze the phrase "Blown away" in my case would be the prevalent action phrase!! LOL.......I'm still curious about the LCD2. Have a great weekend folks....

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:48 pm »
Let me share this from a review...its well funny and entertaining....
The entire review is here:
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/04/schiit-lyr/

Let us elaborate. This hybrid (tube/MOSFET) headphone amp pushes out a whopping six watts RMS per channel into 32 ohms. If you don’t speak audiophile, that’s about 10 times the power of your average headphone amp and enough to make most ear cans spontaneously combust, should you get ambitious with the volume knob.

So why would anyone need all that power? Schiit’s answer: Why the hell do you need a 400-horsepower engine or bacon-wrapped hot dogs? Valid points, but that extra muscle also translates into near infinite headroom and dynamics that other amps in its price range can’t touch. Put another way, the Lyr makes your great headphones sound even better. A lot better.

As anyone who’s gone from an anemic built-in amp in a computer to something more robust knows, a decent amp can make or break a pair of headphones.

Plug a pair of power-hungry orthodynamics from a company like Audeze or HiFiMan into your iPod and you’ll hear, well, nothing. Plug them into the Lyr and they’ll spring to life with jaw-dropping clarity and detail. Indeed, it’s when this amp is used with difficult-to-drive headphones that it truly shines.

Take a look at the graphs I posted earlier and look at the low end where most cans, even high dollar ones roll off, the Audeze just keep on going...down and down and down and FLAT...which is amazing that this technology can do this...magic to me....

It challenges the bass in my 'good' 2 ch system with a world class tube amp...

Schiit guys are really funny...
didnt mean to take this thread away from the original intent..but the comments about who needs a 400hp engine or bacon wrapped hot doges well...thats me!!

:thumb:
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:52 pm »
eclein...sure wish we lived next door so we could compare our crap!! The HD800's and the HIFI man stuff is first class as well and would love to hear them.

Alex