Fiio E5 Headphone amp- surprisingly good.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Fiio E5 Headphone amp- surprisingly good.
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:30 am »
For that price?
That's a steal...lol

i have been thinking about upgrading to the E7.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2011, 05:25 am »
New Model E11 is in the works,straight amp, more power.....soon

tomwhite

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2011, 11:16 pm »
I have heard good things about the E7/E9 combo. Any thoughts?

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2011, 01:41 am »
Ok, got mine just now in the mail (less than 20 minutes ago). And here's the quickest turn around time on a review for a product you've ever seen. :lol:

1st I want to say definitely opt for the line level cord. It not only sounds significantly better it also plays significantly louder. If I had to venture a guess I would say 10dB more than the standard output of the headphone out.

for this listening I used my Beyerdynamics DT880s flat cans with teflon silver cabling. On Cat Powers cover 'Dark end of the Street" the E5 produces a sound that is just so much more effortless and smooth. The iPhone 4's standard headphone jack isn't bad actually, but the E5 is several notches better in stereo effect, separation, bass response and transients. Dark end of the Street track had a much better clarity to the electric guitars picking and Cat Powers voice was less manish sounding and more seductive and melancholy.

Next track was Band of Horses 'On my way back home" This track can sound really awful on some setups and fantastic on others. This was pretty much the case here. iPhone sounded very boring and not very convincing. The E5 was much more crystalline and nice on the top end vs the very digital sound of the standard iPhone output. E5 was very much passable as a "high end" performer and I mean that. No it's not the end all be all like I've heard from portable amps costing several orders of magnitude more, but for a shitty Chinese <$30 device the E5 punches WAY above its weight class.

And now the battery I didn't charge is dead... So this is the end.

More to come maybes. So stay tuned... or not!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2011, 02:06 am »
I have been in the market for a portable setup and have been reading over at Headfi.org that many people are using the HiFiman 601/602 players with no separate headphone amp to very good success(as Saisunil has stated).  I just received in the mail a Cowon J3, which also can be run without any amp.  I am hoping that this player trounces my son's Ipod. :lol:  However, if I feel the need for an amp, I might look at these.

I plan on pairing the J3 with an ATH M50 at first, with plans to try offerings from Beyerdynamics and some IEM's(don't hold much hope as I have very small ear canals)

Randy

Pez

« Reply #25 on: 4 Feb 2011, 03:41 am »
Learn from my mistake, don't listen to this headphone amp while it's charging. It works and nothing bad will happen, but it sounds super metallic and like a cheap solid state amp. Very odd. :scratch:

rob-fi

« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:09 pm »
Just ordered the E7 yesterday, it was shipped today...i cant wait!