Christmas Coming

macrojack

• Restricted
Christmas Coming
« on: 11 Nov 2009, 01:34 pm »
My college student son has an older I-Mac (pre Intel) and a new MacBook Pro. He has Grado 325i phones which he plugs directly into the MacBook or into an older NAD preamp coming out of the I-Mac.
I'm considering the idea of buying him a DAC/headphone amp to use between the MacBook and the Grados. He really doesn't use his I-Mac very much since he got his laptop.
I know little or nothing about what's hot in the headphone world. So here's my question:

What's the biggest bang for the buck that I can get him for Christmas? He likes tube sound.
What is the best way to come out of the MacBook? USB? Optical? What would you do? Maximum $300. Used is O.K. if that gets more bang for buck.

mbakes

Re: Christmas Coming
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2009, 03:06 am »
I do not believe you can do much better than this for the money:  http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/headamp-pico-portable-amp-w-optional-upsampling-24-96-usb-dac-pre-order-thread-258967/

It should have no trouble driving the Grados and has a very good usb dac.

mbakes

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2009, 01:52 pm »
One other to consider is the TTVJ Millet Portable with DAC.  It is over your budget but thought I would mention it. 

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1435&zenid=f5c7c08ae8dce5c940b43dc6e88525b6

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2009, 02:32 pm »
The Ibasso D4 accepts a USB input and the Ibasso D10 will accept USB and optical input.  Both can be powered by the USB output of the source.

Last night I paid $250 for a used Ibasso D10.

I am not sure if my next idea will interest you but maybe custom-fitted IEMs would be a cool surprise.  I went overboard and purchased JH13 PRO (www.jhaudio.com) IEMs but there are more cost-friendly options and different suppliers.  I wanted to throw this idea out there because custom-fitted IEMs have wonderful isolation and many are easy loads for a laptop, iPod, and cellphones.  Instead of a DAC/AMP combination a custom set of IEMs could be the ticket.

Sorry to keep going on.  There are also USB soundcards or DACs alone that can be found cheap that may drive the Grados effectively enough depending on your son's listening habits.

mbakes

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2009, 02:57 pm »
The Ibasso D4 accepts a USB input and the Ibasso D10 will accept USB and optical input.  Both can be powered by the USB output of the source.

Last night I paid $250 for a used Ibasso D10.

I am not sure if my next idea will interest you but maybe custom-fitted IEMs would be a cool surprise.  I went overboard and purchased JH13 PRO (www.jhaudio.com) IEMs but there are more cost-friendly options and different suppliers.  I wanted to throw this idea out there because custom-fitted IEMs have wonderful isolation and many are easy loads for a laptop, iPod, and cellphones.  Instead of a DAC/AMP combination a custom set of IEMs could be the ticket.

Sorry to keep going on.  There are also USB soundcards or DACs alone that can be found cheap that may drive the Grados effectively enough depending on your son's listening habits.
I've had the JH13 Pro for about 4 or 5 months and they were perhaps the single best audio purchase I've made.  They are great people to deal with and the sq is as good as just about any headphone out there.