Which 5-600 dollar tube headphone amp for Senn HD-600 with Equinox cable?

Huck

Hi: I am looking for suggestions for  a good sounding tubed headphone amp that would sound good with the Senn HD-600 with Equinox cable with rock music in the 5-600 dollar range? Thanks,Huck

IronLion

I would suggest going to Headfi and looking for a used Singlepower amp like the PPX. 

Huck

What about WooAudio 3+ or the WooAudio 6? Anyone here use either with the Hd-600's? Thanks,Huck

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.

arthurs

Channel Islands is pretty darn nice with 600's....

riffer

The Earmax Pro was pretty good with Sens when I had them.

KT

Berning Micro-Zotl is pretty nice.

I don't think they're currently being made, and for the price range you're looking at you'd have to find a used one for sale.

KT

cryoparts

Hi: I am looking for suggestions for  a good sounding tubed headphone amp that would sound good with the Senn HD-600 with Equinox cable with rock music in the 5-600 dollar range? Thanks,Huck

Here are the under $500 models I have heard with the 600's, and would recommend.

Tube
Little Tube MKIV SE
Shanling PH3000*
Used Singlepower

SS
Creek OBH21SE*
PS Audio GCHA
Modified Zhaolu D2.5 w/upgraded headphone amp*

All have a distinct sound signature, which one will you like?  Hmmm...

*Means I am dealer for these.

Peace,

Lee

saisunil

Mapletree Audio Design (MAD HD) headphone amp
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2008, 03:28 pm »

Woo Audio Makes very good amps - but you must upgrade the tubes - which are pricey

I have Mapletree HD2 headphone amp with many upgrades and NOS tubes
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

It has been my reference headphone amp - until I heard the Woo Audio 5 (with 300 B tubes) - that is a beast of a headphone amp and sounds amazing and is very pricey $3000 + ~$1000 for upgraded tubes.

I might consider selling the Mapletree or you can just call Dr. Lloyd - he only charges $100 more than the Kit - the amp holds its value and rarely comes up on used market.

Some people consider it as one of the best headphone amps -- but I have heard WA5 and it is better  :green:

There are already some good suggestions made - but do factor in price of good tubes in your budget.

edit: Dr. Lloyd used Senn 600 as a reference to voice this amp.

Huck

Re: Mapletree Audio Design (MAD HD) headphone amp
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2008, 05:25 pm »

Woo Audio Makes very good amps - but you must upgrade the tubes - which are pricey

I have Mapletree HD2 headphone amp with many upgrades and NOS tubes
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

Thanks! I ended up buying a maxxed out Woo-6 with the Blackgates and V-Caps/ BEEuitiful! Thanks, Huck
It has been my reference headphone amp - until I heard the Woo Audio 5 (with 300 B tubes) - that is a beast of a headphone amp and sounds amazing and is very pricey $3000 + ~$1000 for upgraded tubes.

I might consider selling the Mapletree or you can just call Dr. Lloyd - he only charges $100 more than the Kit - the amp holds its value and rarely comes up on used market.

Some people consider it as one of the best headphone amps -- but I have heard WA5 and it is better  :green:

There are already some good suggestions made - but do factor in price of good tubes in your budget.

edit: Dr. Lloyd used Senn 600 as a reference to voice this amp.

saisunil

Congratulations!
Maxxed out WA6 is no $500 amp!
But you'r in for a treat!
Enjoy!