Fixing floor squeaks from the underside

ctviggen

Fixing floor squeaks from the underside
« on: 16 Dec 2012, 08:55 pm »
The good news is that the carpenter was building a box around my projector pulldown screen to hide the screen.  The bad news is that he hit a heat pipe when we went to put up the box.  Two sheets of drywall had to come down.

The good news, though, is that this gave me access to the underside of my dining room, which has horrendous squeaks.  The dining room floor is covered with berber carpeting, so I'm afraid to screw through the carpeting, lest I cause a run and trash the carpeting. Since I had access to the underside of the floor, I covered shims with glue, hammered them between the joists and the plywood subfloor, then stapled the shims to the plywood. 

No squeaks!!! 

It's too bad this is only about 1/8th of the floor above this room.  I had this room gutted at one time, but at that time I had so many things to do that fixing squeaks was very low on my list.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Fixing floor squeaks from the underside
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm »
Screw the decking down tight against the joists via angling (toenailing) through the joists or using a bracket that is attached to the joists.  I've seen specialty brackets for just this purpose, sorry can't recall where, but even small blocking could be used.  I'd only bother with the brackets if access is tight or you're worried about the points of the screws coming through the decking.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2012, 06:47 pm »
The bracket idea was my first choice.  However, I had a day to do this and the local store had shims but no brakets. 

The squeaks were horrible, but now they're gone!  Yeah!  Now, if I could only tear down the rest of the drywall....

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2012, 07:38 pm »
Great tip!  I'm going to have to do this for my whole house soon.  Luckily, I have a full basement and access won't be too difficult.  I also plan on insulating the floor and replacing old wiring while I've got the drywall down.