Sound cutting out from right channel

Kw6

Sound cutting out from right channel
« on: 8 Jul 2018, 01:09 am »
Hi guys

I recently purchased a BC Acoustique 362d class A integrated amp. When I change the volume with remote the sound cuts out from right channel and drifts to left channel for a split second and them comes back to center. Sometimes while listening to a song the sound cuts on in right channel for half the song. Problem is never with left channel. Also two times I can recall when I turn on amp right channel is dead. I need to turn on amp on and off to get it back. I sent it back to dealer to fix and they said they can't find problem. They said played for days no problem at all. Keep in mind the volume control has a series of resistors not a volume pot like Alps.

What could be wrong as I am using a tube amp right now no problem and using remote but they use motorized alps. The dealer starting to say it's my equipment.

Please help diagnose?

Doublej

Re: Sound cutting out from right channel
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2018, 01:29 am »
From your description I would say there is a problem with the right channel amplifier in the unit. I would contact the factory and explain the situation to them.

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2018, 01:32 am »
It's at the dealer now they are authorized service  centre and they say it's fine. They said they played it for days with no problem. Could it be the volume  control?

jules

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2018, 02:27 am »
As part of a process of elimination, try swapping the inputs, so that left source output goes into right amp input and vice a versa with the other channel.

If the problem is still in your right channel, you've at least ruled out the source. If it's now in the left, you're closer to locating the prob.,somewhere in the source.

Does it cause a distinct pop in the speakers when  it happens, or is it a sort of quiet drop away and return?

Kw6

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2018, 02:40 am »
It's not my Cambridge 851n networked player  or my cables  or speakers as I have been playing  my system every day with my integrated  tube amp and no problems ever since I sent amp back for service.

Kw6

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2018, 02:47 am »
There is no pop sound. As I press volume up on the remote there is a click  sound and sound is lost in right channel and you only hear sound from left and then it  restores itself in a instant. What is more worrisome is  that  during  a song with no touch of  volume  remote  the sound crackles a bit in right channel and was off for at least 2 mins before it came back.  And one  time I take it off stand by and come back 15 mins  to to start playing music  and right channel is dead. I had to turn off and on to get it  back on both channels.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2018, 02:09 pm »
My wild ass guess is that there is a tiny break somewhere in the amp's right channel circuitry that may be affected by operating temperature or a slight flexure of the mounting structure. 

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2018, 03:47 pm »
I thought about that too as I said two times I play amp and right  channel dead.  Turn on and off and it comes  back. But their tech said amp checks out and they play my amp for days no problems  like I described.  Either they are lying  cause they know tuff to fix or need to replace.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2018, 11:41 pm »
Options:

1.) Get a new amp
2.) Get a new repair shop
3.) Sell amp to the "repair" shop

Kw6

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2018, 11:51 pm »
I will try to get it fix as it's only a mth old! Then sell it down the road!

Kw6

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2018, 11:54 pm »
Btw anyone  on this forum live in Montreal Quebec?

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:41 am »
If it's only a month old and you're working with a legit dealer/seller, they should either fix or replace it. Oh yeah, or let you return it for a refund. I've had similar problems/symptoms in past that ended up being cold solder connections or even a dirty selector switch. JLM mentioned a few other possibilities as well. I don't it's anything earth shattering, but it would take some diagnostic knowhow. The true acid test would be for your dealer to send you a loaner integrated amp to swap into your system. If the loaner doesn't have any issues, your current integrated has a legitimate problem.

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:45 am »
Well I know for sure it's not my gear because  as write  this post I have been listening to my system since 1 pm today no problem. I'm west coast!

Kw6

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:49 am »
Initially  dealer  said  it could  be  a cold solder joint but they email me tech found nothing wrong and they played my amp for days  with no problem. Btw I used  a small fan to blow air from left side of  amp to right side.  Could I have triggered  protection circuitry on right channel? Fan was 3 ft away from left side of amp which sat on the floor.

Kw6

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:52 am »
I never asked  for refund yet but I did say since I have  problem  so soon after purchase  you should replace it he said  no they  will warranty it for period of two yrs. I doubt he will give me refund but I will call him on Wednesday  when they open up.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:57 am »
I never asked  for refund yet but I did say since I have  problem  so soon after purchase  you should replace it he said  no they  will warranty it for period of two yrs. I doubt he will give me refund but I will call him on Wednesday  when they open up.
I mean say asking refund to the card company or Paypal.

mick wolfe

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2018, 01:02 am »
OK, sorry didn't realize you had a replacement integrated. Case closed then.... your new solid state integrated has issues. Your dealer should step up and take care of it.

Kw6

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jul 2018, 01:46 am »
Yes I have another amp to use from my own collection and I have been playing audio ever since I sent it away. So I know it's not my stuff.  Believe  I made  sure before I packed that 60lb amp.

Kw6

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2018, 01:56 am »
Yes  Fullrangeman I  purchased with visa. What legal recourse do I have to ask for refund? I am willing to forgo the shipping charges and maybe even 10% restocking  fee if necessary. I feel I got a lemon and it's  going to take a lot to fix. But why would he like say working  fine at his end for days. Before I sent off amp I took it off standby waited 15 mins and started  streaming right channel wouldn't come on so I said f this and packed it up. So I thought when he turn it on  it would be dead too but apparent it was ok for him which I don't doubt as when I turn on and off it came  back too. But while he had it it should have at least cut out once  but he did not mention. That's why I'm  perplexed!😑

Kw6

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2018, 01:58 am »
Btw I will call France  tonite to talk to head office to see what they say. Last time I email them they told me to deal with my dealer who is auth service  centre for their products.