Simple isolation idea

hurdy_gurdyman

Simple isolation idea
« on: 12 Oct 2007, 01:39 pm »
I recently posted this on another forum:

For many years now I have been plagued with floor bounce problems when playing LP's. My wooden suspended floor is bouncy. All the turntables I've had in the past have had susceptibility to footfalls. The suspended sub-chassis tables, like the AR-XA and Thorens TD-160, have been the worst offenders. The Thorens TD-160 was so bad that the cat jumping out of it's chair would set it off. It was difficult to tip-toe across the room without causing groove hopping. I played with the set-up for months and couldn't make it better. The old Duals with the stiffer under-the-chassis springs were better at this, but you still had to be a little careful. The best I had found before was an old Garrard Synchro-Lab 95B. This was of the same suspension as the Duals, but lighter built in a cheap plastic plinth. Although it tracked well, the sound wasn't as good as the Duals or Thorens, or even the AR.
Today I was playing with my 55 pound Siberian Husky, Isha, on the living room floor. I wasn't even thinking about the record playing. It was an impromptu thing that took off without thinking. We were romping pretty heavy. I became aware of the record playing when the stereo cabinet door popped open under the turntable. The record kept on playing like nothing was happening whatever. We both had been stomping and hopping around quite heavy. I am now more convinced than ever that mass is the key to good stability and vibration isolation. The very massive plinth is firmly coupled to the turntable's chassis. The whole thing sits on a piece of rubber carpet backing, which is the only suspension it has. It's got to be the mass. I can't think of anything else that would be doing it. There have been a lot of discussion the last few years about massive plinths being the key to good isolation, but this is the first real evidence I've had.

I'm a believer!

Dave

What I'm coming at today is the part about the rubber carpet backing used under the rather massive plinth. I read somewhere about someone trying this with great results (don't remember who). Previously I had tried hardwood balls, hard rubber balls, soft rubber balls, marbles and wood blocks. Didn't have cones. All of them had problems to some degree. Then I tried the rubber carpet backing. I've got a bunch of this stuff in the attic. As you can see from my quote above, the results have been astonishing. Not sure how many here have tried this, but I thought I'd share and see if it might be just the answer if everything else you've tried doesn't work. I suspect it might be problematical with a loosely suspended sub-chassis, and no idea how it would work with a light and stiff non-suspended plinth.

The equipment cabinet I have my turntable on is a rather well built old buffet-style furniture cabinet loaded with heavy gear. Very heavy and solid enough to sit an engine block on.

It's always nice to find something super inexpensive that works well.

Recent pic of the turntable and cabinet:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=34&pos=4

Older pic showing what's in the cabinet that makes it nice and heavy (different turntable back then):

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=12

Dave aa

TheChairGuy

Re: Simple isolation idea
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2007, 04:48 pm »
Forum Ho' Dave  :wink:

Yeah, Mass is good I've found, too.  I stuff the innards of every deck I can with 8-10 lbs. of Plast-i-Clay and my current tables rests on 4 pointy brass toes headlong down into a 3.5" thick / 30 lb block of maple.  There is not suspension at all in my set-up - it's hard surface to hard surface, but a lot of mass now (it all sits upon a steel Target rack filled with sand)

I horse around a lot in here with my 3.5 year old and she regularly comes in and dances to the tunnage  :guitar: and it's a rare day when there is even one skip. This is using a Grado Green - certainly not the world's best tracking cartridge, either  :|

The same carpet backing can be found in Housewares departments as shelf liner - usually under Rubbermaid name - for smaller quantities and most often cheaper. I have loads of it around in white, blue and black.

John

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2007, 05:46 pm »
John,

The stuff I'm using isn't shelf liner (or if it is, it's like none I've ever seen). It's padded rubberized carpet liner about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Quite spongy. It has a pink and blue speckled appearance. I have it covering the entire area under my plinth. With any kind of solid mounting to my cabinet I was getting feedback howl through my sub-woofer (which goes flat to about 22 Hz). Inserting the rubberized backing completely eliminated this with no bad effects. My floor is extremely bouncy and, in my 24 years of living here, has never allowed vinyl playback without footfall problems. Now I can jump around hard enough for my magnet-latched cabinet doors to pop open and the record playing doesn't even cause the speaker to oscillate noticeably. I'm convinced something interesting is going on here... 8)

Dave :)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2007, 06:03 pm »
What about trying the inner tube (air bladder) instead of just the rubber?

http://sportsbay.com/bituinpositw.html
I got a couple of these that I am going to play around with.  16" also happen to be my 5 year daughter's bike tire size in case they are useless.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2007, 06:21 pm »
John,

The stuff I'm using isn't shelf liner (or if it is, it's like none I've ever seen). It's padded rubberized carpet liner about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Quite spongy. It has a pink and blue speckled appearance. I have it covering the entire area under my plinth. With any kind of solid mounting to my cabinet I was getting feedback howl through my sub-woofer (which goes flat to about 22 Hz). Inserting the rubberized backing completely eliminated this with no bad effects. My floor is extremely bouncy and, in my 24 years of living here, has never allowed vinyl playback without footfall problems. Now I can jump around hard enough for my magnet-latched cabinet doors to pop open and the record playing doesn't even cause the speaker to oscillate noticeably. I'm convinced something interesting is going on here... 8)

Hey, that's pretty cool...I don't think I'm aware of that particular product.  A friend growing up had carpet stores (he was Armenian, so it was close to his roots in that)...back them they used felt or jute as under padding.  The carpet world has moved on since then, it seems....

Super that you found something that works for you, Dave...and at such reasonable costing  :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:02 pm »
ya, i have seen that stuff, under commercial carpet installations; never tried it for other uses, tho.  if it works...   :wink:

when i prewiously had foot-fall problems, the only way i was ever able to get rid of it was to mount the turntable to a shelf on a wall...

doug s.
John,

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:49 pm »
What about trying the inner tube (air bladder) instead of just the rubber?

http://sportsbay.com/bituinpositw.html
I got a couple of these that I am going to play around with.  16" also happen to be my 5 year daughter's bike tire size in case they are useless.
I tried an inner-tube under my Thorens TD-160. The results were worse than without it. I haven't tried it under the Rek-O-Kut. Not sure if I still have the tube. I'm so happy with what I'm using that I doubt I'll bother.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:52 pm »
John,

Hey, that's pretty cool...I don't think I'm aware of that particular product.  A friend growing up had carpet stores (he was Armenian, so it was close to his roots in that)...back them they used felt or jute as under padding.  The carpet world has moved on since then, it seems....

Super that you found something that works for you, Dave...and at such reasonable costing  :thumb:
I found this stuff at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. A good sized roll was sitting there for $5.00. I planned to use it for speaker box liner. Still plan on putting some on the back of my open baffles when they are finished (soon). I'm not sure where to find it new. Perhaps a carpet store has some scraps?

Dave aa

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:59 pm »
ya, i have seen that stuff, under commercial carpet installations; never tried it for other uses, tho.  if it works...   :wink:

when i prewiously had foot-fall problems, the only way i was ever able to get rid of it was to mount the turntable to a shelf on a wall...

doug s.
John,

A friend of mine ended up shelf mounting his Linn Axis. Nothing else would get rid of footfall problems. My wife kind-of hinted strongly that my health could be in dire jeopardy if I tried mounting one of those big ugly turntables on the living room wall... :(

Dave aa

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2007, 09:31 pm »
My studio has built in countertops made from 2 layers of 3/4" HDF, the outer layer oak veneer. I have found the best foundation for a table is mass. Four of my tables sit on this countertop and I have zero issues with any of them. I can even walk on the countertop whilst an album is playing with no regard for skipping a record. The countertop has substantial bracing legs for support. This is my design when I built the house because I have had problems in the past.

I'm sure other ideas have merit as well.

:D

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:12 am »
My studio has built in countertops made from 2 layers of 3/4" HDF, the outer layer oak veneer. I have found the best foundation for a table is mass. Four of my tables sit on this countertop and I have zero issues with any of them. I can even walk on the countertop whilst an album is playing with no regard for skipping a record. The countertop has substantial bracing legs for support. This is my design when I built the house because I have had problems in the past.

I'm sure other ideas have merit as well.

:D

Hard to beat mass. I wish my house had something built into it to make a massive and strong foundation for my components.

Martyn

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2007, 06:08 am »
High mass is good because high mass means high inertia which means that the object resists being moved and just wants to stay put. However, mass is only part of the story. The choice of material is important too, because you don't want the object to transmit vibrations - you want it to absorb them - thus the material should have high natural damping. Avoid materials that might make good chimes, sound boards, or percussions instruments! Lead would be terrific, although not very practicable. Granite and marble should be good too. Imagine holding up a sheet of something and hitting it - if it rings, don't use it.

Another approach is to isolate the object from the exciting forces by using some kind of suspension. A typical suspension comprises a spring and damper much like you'll find on your car. If you compare the ride of a Jaguar with that of a pick-up truck, you'll know that some work better than others. If you've ever cornered too fast on a bumpy road in a car with worn out shocks, you'll also know that things can get out of control really quickly. I suspect that Dave's piece of carpet underlay is acting like a well-damped spring. If you want to experiment with foam pads under a piece of equipment, a useful starting point is to size the pads so that they deflect (squash) somewhat under the weight of the equipment, but not too much. Don't let them squash to less than half their original height. Experiment with different materials and different dimensions until you find something that you like. You don't need to spend a fortune on magicfoam mysterypods when a couple of small foam balls cut in half will do just as well. Just make sure that your foam is open cell.

PS. I'm just a crabby old mechanical engineer and will happily stand corrected by any vibrations guy who happens to be listening in.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2007, 02:03 pm »
  I suspect that Dave's piece of carpet underlay is acting like a well-damped spring. If you want to experiment with foam pads under a piece of equipment, a useful starting point is to size the pads so that they deflect (squash) somewhat under the weight of the equipment, but not too much. Don't let them squash to less than half their original height.
This may be it. The foam being used is quite dense and doesn't squish much under the weight of the quite heavy turntable assembly.

Dave aa

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2007, 03:48 pm »
i have heard of people who have cut holes in their first floor, so they could run a post into the ground in the basement, & then they ran the post thru the 1st floor to support their turntable.  plan the post & the hole properly, & you can't tell there's a hole in the floor. 

doug s.

linkweewee

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2007, 01:16 pm »
FWIW - When I had tight space for my rig in college I suspended my TT from the ceiling using plant hooks, some heavy monofilment fishing line and a cutting board for a shelf. It wasn't pretty but I had zero vibration issues... :P

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2007, 02:02 pm »
FWIW - When I had tight space for my rig in college I suspended my TT from the ceiling using plant hooks, some heavy monofilment fishing line and a cutting board for a shelf. It wasn't pretty but I had zero vibration issues... :P
I imagine it would work great. I'll try it when I'm ready to move out to a bachelor pad. :lol: :green:

Dave aa