X3s have landed!

Desertpilot

• Retired
Re: X3s have landed!
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2021, 05:40 pm »
Even though it's rather early, I'm guessing the X3's are blowing away your other speakers..??

Absolutely!  I can't go back.

Couple side notes:
1.  No listening fatigue.  Some suggested it may happen with AMT drivers.  No.  Not happening.
2.  Yes, speakers can disappear.  I often close my eyes to test this.  Speakers just are not there.

Marcus

Delta77

« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2021, 07:19 pm »
YUP..!!

Those X-3s were a fantastic choice..

Hate to say it,, BUT..
No matter the components you have up front , You are going to have the urge to upgrade EVERYTHING..!!
 Woops, did I just say that...?

Looks like the DAC is going to be first though..

Enjoy those speakers, I can't yet....

529proaudio

« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2021, 11:42 pm »
Stop screwing around, put them where you want them and end it.  Too much fussing, and you'll never be satisfied.

If you don't experiment with placement, then how do you know the speakers are performing at their best in the particular room?  Having said that, it sounds like no final decisions should be made until the speakers have a few hundred hours on them, but fussing around is half the fun, right? 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2021, 02:25 am »
The X3s are keepers.  No doubt about that.  My final positioning is 4.5 feet from the front wall, 2 feet from the left side wall, there is no right sidewall, toed-in about 15 to 20 degrees.  Center image is strong.  Soundstage is excellent with plenty of depth.  Eyes closed - speakers disappear.  11 feet 6 inches from speakers to MLP.

I may remove the diffusion on the front wall just as a test.

New DAC.  This took some effort to dial in correctly.  USB from HTPC to DAC.  JRiver configured with a proprietary ASIO driver that sends DSD or PCM to the DAC via USB.  The DAC converts to analog.  It can be fed directly to my amplifier but for now I have it going to my pre/pro (set for analog in and "pure direct" out to amp).  Results?  Only a couple hours of testing but so far I'm hearing much more detailed information.  Let me put it this way, if the recording microphones picked it up this DAC will send all of it to the X3s.  The X3s, of course, will then broadcast all of it to you (LOL).  Lots more testing and listening to go.

That's it folks.  It is as set as I can make it.  Just gotta play and listen as it burns in.  Thank you everyone for listening.

Marcus
« Last Edit: 25 May 2021, 03:35 am by Desertpilot »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2021, 02:34 am »
It is as set as I can make it. 
Now invest $110 on a mic and download REW and get it dialed in. 

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

https://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2021, 03:33 am »
Now invest $110 on a mic and download REW and get it dialed in. 

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

https://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

I got the MIC and REW.  Absolutely, I'll do measurements.

Marcus

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2021, 03:46 am »
Glad to hear you're enjoying your speakers. Yeah, that tweeter is as good as it gets.

Try sitting 8-9 feet from the speakers and report back. 

morganc

« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2021, 04:16 am »
The X3s are keepers.  No doubt about that.  My final positioning is 4.5 feet from the front wall, 2 feet from the left side wall, there is no right sidewall, toed-in about 15 to 20 degrees.  Center image is strong.  Soundstage is excellent with plenty of depth.  Eyes closed - speakers disappear.  11 feet 6 inches from speakers to MLP.

I may remove the diffusion on the front wall just as a test.

New DAC.  This took some effort to dial in correctly.  USB from HTPC to DAC.  JRiver configured with a proprietary ASIO driver that sends DSD or PCM to the DAC via USB.  The DAC converts to analog.  It can be fed directly to my amplifier but for now I have it going to my pre/pro (set for analog in and "pure direct" out to amp).  Results?  Only a couple hours of testing but so far I'm hearing much more detailed information.  Let me put it this way, if the recording microphones picked it up this DAC will send all of it to the X3s.  The X3s, of course, will then broadcast all of it to you (LOL).  Lots more testing and listening to go.

That's it folks.  It is as set as I can make it.  Just gotta play and listen as it burns in.  Thank you everyone for listening.

Marcus

What Dac did you purchase?

jriggy

« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2021, 04:06 pm »
YUP..!!

Those X-3s were a fantastic choice..

Hate to say it,, BUT..
No matter the components you have up front , You are going to have the urge to upgrade EVERYTHING..!!
 Woops, did I just say that...?

Looks like the DAC is going to be first though..

Enjoy those speakers, I can't yet....

Like a nice 2ch tubed preamp w/ HT bypass function to get around the pre/pro  :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2021, 11:42 pm »
Hahaha.  You sound like my wife.  Seriously, I am 90% there with positioning.  Just need to incorporate my new DAC tomorrow and after some listening, I will certainly make a speaker position decision and be done with it.

Marcus

The first 90% goes much faster than the second 90%  :D

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2021, 12:18 am »
The first 90% goes much faster than the second 90%  :D

LOL!  I guess we're never really done.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2021, 09:08 pm »
I finally decided on a good position for my X3s.  I removed the sliders and attached the spikes on to the isoAcoustics GAIA IIs.  I also turned two of my GIK diffusion panels vertical and placed them in the corners.  Seems to work out better there.  See photo of the speakers from the MLP.

Marcus

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2021, 10:55 pm »
I finally decided on a good position for my X3s.  I removed the sliders and attached the spikes on to the isoAcoustics GAIA IIs.  I also turned two of my GIK diffusion panels vertical and placed them in the corners.  Seems to work out better there.  See photo of the speakers from the MLP.

Marcus

Elegant.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2021, 11:49 pm »
Elegant.

Thank you Tyson.  Your encouraging words are welcome!

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2021, 12:16 am »
What Dac did you purchase?

Hi morganc.  I wanted to wait a few days, use the DAC to make sure it works for me, and then talk about it here.  I chose an exaSound S88.  https://www.exasound.com/Products/s88StreamingDAC.  Over my budget but what the heck.  The s88 will play natively DSD encoded files up to 8-channels DSD256, DXD 352.8 kHz and PCM up to 384 kHz.  Kal Rubinson's review in Stereophile magazine https://www.stereophile.com/content/exasound-s88-multichannel-da-processor.  I am using it via USB audio between my Windows 10 PC and the DAC.  The DAC also works over LAN (although I have not tried this yet).  Complete conversation about this DAC at Audiophile Style https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60938-exasound-e68-stereo-dsd512-and-8-channel-dsd256-dac/#comments.

Why?  First, I have "lusted" for an exaSound DAC for years.  Now that I have the X3s, I figure my system is "worthy".  LOL.  Second, I am a multichannel guy.  I know that is blasphemy to stereo only folks but this is how I love playing my music.  So far, the DAC is superb.  As I said earlier, whatever sounds the recording microphone picks up, the sounds are sent to your speakers.  Given the incredible resolution of the X3s, those sounds are fully transmitted to the listener.  I am hearing instruments within recordings that I never heard before.  Truth!  They are subtle background instruments buried within the orchestra.  A very enjoyable experience.  Violins are amazing.  I can "feel" the bow move along the strings as well as hear the sweet melody.  This DAC and these speakers make music listening an immersive and emotionally connected experience.

Late breaking news!  I spoke with Clayton today and ordered a third X3 to use as a center channel.  This is going to be a magnificent experience.  It will be a while before delivery.  But, today I did it.

Thanks for listening!

Marcus

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2021, 01:00 am »
Pure DSD with 3 X3's up front - damn that's going to be something incredible.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2021, 02:20 am »
Pure DSD with 3 X3's up front - damn that's going to be something incredible.

Yes!  That is what I expect.  I will use my current SVS Ultra Surrounds.  90% of 5.0 or 5.1 music is pretty much just "ambience" music anyway.  I listened to a 5.1 surround recording today.  The SVS Ultra center channel just can't keep up with the X3s.  But, the surrounds?  Not bad at all.  I do have ATMOS/Auro 3D speakers installed.  I tried several 2L Blu-Ray Audio discs with ATMOS/Auro 3D encoding.  It just doesn't do anything for me.  I use those (4 height effects) speakers exclusively for movies (this is where "object" encoding shines (ie, bullets or helicopters flying around overhead))..  The center channel, however, is a totally different story.  That's why I went with a third X3.  The center channel "locks in" the center stage.  Vocals, ensembles, orchestras all have a sweeping and consistent spread from left to right.  It will certainly be an awesome experience with an X3 as the center channel.

Currently, I am running the DAC analog out through my Marantz pre/pro.  Almost everyone on the Audiophile Style forum is encouraging me to go direct to my amplifier.  I will try that approach tomorrow.  Gosh, can it get better?  We'll find out.

Currently listening to:  Rick Stotijn and the Stockholm Syndrome Ensemble and their recording "A Moveable Feast".  Love this recording and especially Rick Stotijn's playing on the double bass.  Available at Native DSD in DSD64, 2 or 5 channel.  https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/36916-a-moveable-feast/.  Check it out.

Well, that exhausts my tax refund, hahaha.

Regarding burn-in.  It could be true.  Yes, I am playing music all night long, every night.  But, to tell you the truth, the X3s sound pretty damn good right now.

Marcus

morganc

« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2021, 04:58 am »
Hi morganc.  I wanted to wait a few days, use the DAC to make sure it works for me, and then talk about it here.  I chose an exaSound S88.  https://www.exasound.com/Products/s88StreamingDAC.  Over my budget but what the heck.  The s88 will play natively DSD encoded files up to 8-channels DSD256, DXD 352.8 kHz and PCM up to 384 kHz.  Kal Rubinson's review in Stereophile magazine https://www.stereophile.com/content/exasound-s88-multichannel-da-processor.  I am using it via USB audio between my Windows 10 PC and the DAC.  The DAC also works over LAN (although I have not tried this yet).  Complete conversation about this DAC at Audiophile Style https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60938-exasound-e68-stereo-dsd512-and-8-channel-dsd256-dac/#comments.

Why?  First, I have "lusted" for an exaSound DAC for years.  Now that I have the X3s, I figure my system is "worthy".  LOL.  Second, I am a multichannel guy.  I know that is blasphemy to stereo only folks but this is how I love playing my music.  So far, the DAC is superb.  As I said earlier, whatever sounds the recording microphone picks up, the sounds are sent to your speakers.  Given the incredible resolution of the X3s, those sounds are fully transmitted to the listener.  I am hearing instruments within recordings that I never heard before.  Truth!  They are subtle background instruments buried within the orchestra.  A very enjoyable experience.  Violins are amazing.  I can "feel" the bow move along the strings as well as hear the sweet melody.  This DAC and these speakers make music listening an immersive and emotionally connected experience.

Late breaking news!  I spoke with Clayton today and ordered a third X3 to use as a center channel.  This is going to be a magnificent experience.  It will be a while before delivery.  But, today I did it.

Thanks for listening!

Marcus

I just checked it out.  Looks like a great product!

And love the Triple X-3 plan. I’d love to hear that once you get it dialed in! 

And best of luck running it straight minus the Pre/Pro.  The good and (often expensive)/bad with a great system is every change is so easy to discern.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2021, 10:39 pm »
My sons are visiting this weekend (to hear my new X3s, lol).  I've decided to delay any rewiring to run the DAC direct to my amplifier until next week after they are gone.  Meanwhile, today I focused on listening to piano music.  The piano is a very difficult instrument to record well (Paul McGowan of PS Audio just discussed this on his YouTube channel).  For us consumers, it is equally difficult to reproduce well.  The X3s are supposed to do a pretty decent job of piano reproduction.

My experience:  I played a variety of Jazz and Classical piano pieces.  All were very enjoyable.  In the case of classical piano, I could hear different sound from different piano makes.  I checked the booklet that comes with each album and sure enough, each had a different make and model piano.  Some were striving for period authenticity and played on vintage pianos.  Others used modern pianos.  It did not sound like a piano was in my living room (too much to hope for).  But, the music was the best piano reproduction I've ever heard.  Jazz ensembles were especially great.  The recording engineer and venue, as always, plays a large role in music recording.

All in all, a win for the X3s.  My room is 30 feet long and more than 40 feet wide.  If I had flexibility to use more of the space I might just be able to fit a grand piano in to my listening space (lol) by rearranging everything.  But, I am already pushing the WAF factor to the limit.  I'm happy with what I've heard today.

Low volume level listening:  I'd heard that the X3s can play well at lower volume levels.  I tried this a few times.  Not bad, but I am plagued with a high noise floor.  I have run around and turned everything off.  What a difference.  But, I was lazy and did not turn off everything before my low volume level listening.  I just chose to turn up the volume and enjoy the music.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2021, 12:40 pm »
Our maids are coming today.  I shut down the entire system.  Don't want any short circuits (lol).  I'll fire it back up mid afternoon.  I've been running the system 24/7 for quite a while now.  Time for everything to take a break.

Marcus