M3 Sapphires Compared to M3TM (early impressions)

timing3435

Re: M3 Sapphires Compared to M3TM (early impressions)
« Reply #100 on: 31 Jan 2020, 04:36 pm »
Try out Wood by Brain Bromberg if you want to hear a great bass example. Come Together is remarkable.  SnowPuppy77 had mentioned this album and it really gave me a great starting perspective on OB bass. Listening to the Rolling Stone: Best Songs of All Time list on Tidal (https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/eacd9536-3a86-4841-a930-0d3a4cdb6a21) has been eye-opening. Hearing some of these songs on OB is like I have never heard them before and all songs are much better from a detail coherence point of view. Music with bass in the center stage and then overlaid with mids and highs are remarkable. Although not the biggest fan, listening to Purple Rain or Billie Jean on OB is an experience! Many songs to go through but worth rehearing classics of my generation on OB. Rumors by Fleetwood Mac with bass centered up is best I have heard.
 To quote harley.guy07 "That allows the bass to better integrate with the mids and highs like a real live setting that is set up right should be."  I have 100 plus hours on my M3 Sapphire's and there is no going back to box speakers.  Bass leaves the speaker and gets to the center stage where it was meant to be in various recordings.
 I am not a purist- I have, bass/treble, tone control, tilt,  and EQ in my system and the ability to adjust these with no cross over point makes a difference in my mind. You have the coherence
  and can adjust the sound profile without exaggerating the cross over is my take. (Great crossovers cost). My old ears are also an issue! I always want more high-end and more off-axis detail because of my ears and thus I play with the details.  Many thanks to this forum for getting me into these speakers. The thoughtful comments helped me buy not having heard them in the real. Timing3435

SnowPuppy77

Re: M3 Sapphires Compared to M3TM (early impressions)
« Reply #101 on: 31 Jan 2020, 05:21 pm »
Try out Wood by Brain Bromberg if you want to hear a great bass example. Come Together is remarkable.  SnowPuppy77 had mentioned this album and it really gave me a great starting perspective on OB bass. Listening to the Rolling Stone: Best Songs of All Time list on Tidal (https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/eacd9536-3a86-4841-a930-0d3a4cdb6a21) has been eye-opening. Hearing some of these songs on OB is like I have never heard them before and all songs are much better from a detail coherence point of view. Music with bass in the center stage and then overlaid with mids and highs are remarkable. Although not the biggest fan, listening to Purple Rain or Billie Jean on OB is an experience! Many songs to go through but worth rehearing classics of my generation on OB. Rumors by Fleetwood Mac with bass centered up is best I have heard.
 To quote harley.guy07 "That allows the bass to better integrate with the mids and highs like a real live setting that is set up right should be."  I have 100 plus hours on my M3 Sapphire's and there is no going back to box speakers.  Bass leaves the speaker and gets to the center stage where it was meant to be in various recordings.
 I am not a purist- I have, bass/treble, tone control, tilt,  and EQ in my system and the ability to adjust these with no cross over point makes a difference in my mind. You have the coherence
  and can adjust the sound profile without exaggerating the cross over is my take. (Great crossovers cost). My old ears are also an issue! I always want more high-end and more off-axis detail because of my ears and thus I play with the details.  Many thanks to this forum for getting me into these speakers. The thoughtful comments helped me buy not having heard them in the real. Timing3435

I second that with Fleetwood Mac Rumors.  Both my previous M3TM and M3S display amazing bass performance with that album.  Full of authority and clean.  Really propels the music forward especially on “The Chain”.  Some other excellent bass albums:

•  Porcupine Tree Metanoia.  These are b side tracks that never made an album.  Just jam sessions.  Some are boring but it is audiophile ear candy.
•  Porcupine Tree track Dark Origins (bonus track on Signify deluxe edition)  Crank this up before you start the track.  Big jump factor.  The kick drum has a massive signal here and with the M3S almost uncomfortably powerful punch while being clean tight and detailed.  No box speaker I have heard can handle this without significant smearing.