Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: kNIFE SHARPENERS
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2017, 07:36 am »
Sharpening can rival audio as a money-pit hobby! :o :lol: :thumb:

mav52

« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2017, 02:50 pm »
Anyone try one of these Wicked Edge sharpeners???
https://youtu.be/mzL41ygQG0o

Looks like the old Landsky Knife sharper http://lansky.com/index.php/precision-sharpening-kits/

Photon46

« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2017, 06:14 pm »
I'm not a professional chef, but I appreciate a decent blade and my wife and I use Japanese knives to prepare every meal. I don't need blades as exotic as Rob uses, although I sure appreciate them! My favorite knives so far are made from VG-10 steel by Shikegi Tanaka. They're my favorites because at Rockwell 62, they sit in a good place between the virtues of edge holding and ease of sharpening. Plus, at $150-$200 each, they're a good value as far as I'm concerned. I can mix up a slurry with a Nagura stone on a ceramic toshi and get a decent edge quickly, then finish with rouge on a leather paddle strop. If I use the paddle strop regularly, I don't need to use the stones too often, maybe every two or three months. I use a good Chinese cleaver to cut meat and other heavy duty tasks so that cuts down on wear and tear on the other blades. I've got harder Japanese steel that does hold an edge longer, but it's more difficult to sharpen as you know.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2017, 02:30 pm »
Howdy,

I'm new to the forum and noticed this conversation.  I've run hundreds of knives through my Edge Pro and love it.  I prefer it to the Wicked Edge for variety of reasons, but I know people who love it too.

I have one correction.  A thumb is much much easier to cut than a tomato.

I'll also add that exotic steels are expensive, but generally not pretty.   I suspect you are referring to Damascus blades.  Those can be exotic, but often are old traditional high carbon steels, and they get sharper than anything I've ever worked with except obsidian.

I like the Work Sharp ok, but mine is no longer used.  It's far better than nothing which is what most people do, so I applaud that, but it was just ok.  I couldn't get it to stop rounding off the tips of my blades, but mainly the edge it produces is nowhere near the edge I get using my EP.

Mike

sts9fan

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:31 pm »
I have an apex sharpener but i can't really master it. Seems a lot easier then it appears.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:43 pm »
Mike, welcome to our little corner of the internet!   :thumb:

STS, there are a couple good videos out there regarding the use of the Apex.
If it would help you, I'll find them and link them here.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:46 pm »
I have an apex sharpener but i can't really master it. Seems a lot easier then it appears.

There is a learning curve.  The first knives I did were the sharpest knives I'd done to date.  After about 100 I was much better.

Some of it is just developing a feel for it, but here are some tips:
I no longer use the stock stones.  I much prefer Shaptons.
Get the stop collar to reset the angle for each stone and get an angle cube to make sure you are in a reasonable ballpark.
Make sure you take the first stone far enough to ensure you have set a good edge.  (a cheap diamond plate helps with this)
Use a sharpie and a magnifier.  Helps to see what you're doing.
Flatten your stones more often than you think.  I know one guy who flattens before each knife.  I'm usually once per 5-10.
Start with chef knives and santukos, they're easier to keep steady than little ones, and knives with big flat faces that can register solidly on the table are easier than double bevels or convex sides.

Mike

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2018, 02:27 am »
Has anyone seen this sharpener? This thing looks sweet!

https://youtu.be/pf3rc98dsA0

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2018, 02:32 am »
Has anyone seen this sharpener? This thing looks sweet!

https://youtu.be/pf3rc98dsA0
I got 2:00 in, and left.
It's gotta be a major reason for me to trash the system I've got.
I like his presentation, but... I had to go...

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2018, 03:26 am »
Here's a better presentation?
https://youtu.be/Qy2x9PjSCeA

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:25 pm »
That's better. Still only made it 3 min in.  :lol:
Looks like a quality unit though, but I'll stick with mine, it's served me very well.

gregcss

« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2018, 06:59 pm »
Looks like one of these

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:01 pm »
 :lol: It does!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm »
Well...I...LIKE...IT!!! :roll:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:23 pm »
Well then BUY ONE!  :thumb:
I mean no offence, I just like mine and not willing to buy anything else right now.

mcgsxr

« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2018, 01:10 pm »
Looking for entry level sharpening. 

Home cook, far from a chef.  Have a few double Henkels etc.  Even a couple of Cutco’s  :o!

Looking for coaching on first sharpening tool.  Whetstone?

For an audio comparison I’m looking for a $30-50 boombox, not a high end set of separates I need to sell a kidney for!

Thanks boys. 

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 12 Oct 2018, 01:52 pm »
I'm one of those duffers trying to learn how to use whetstones. I got separate stones but you can get combination stones.  https://youtu.be/pAdBQuonYRI

There are more budget options for stones, knife manufacturers apparently not the best value in stones.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #37 on: 12 Oct 2018, 03:40 pm »
I have used probably every possible knife sharpening system. In the end, for kitchen knives, I use a steel, as it's quick and effective, and easily stored / used as you cook.

For sitting down and putting an edge on a knife, some form of whetstone or oilstone works best in my opinion, but certainly they are not the only options. Diamond stones are an alternative, and there are Lansky or Lansky-like systems that attempt to provide a consistent angle, or motor-driven sharpeners, which are effective but aggressive and that's your expensive steel they are eating, to a simple carbide that will put an edge on anything in seconds but is very aggressive at removal of metal.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #38 on: 12 Oct 2018, 05:50 pm »
Sharpening is all about consistency in hitting the angle.  If you are hand sharpening, a set of angle guides can be quite helpful, and they're cheap. 
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anguforshst.html
If you can't master hand sharpening, move to a good system.  I"m pretty good at hand sharpening, but moved to an EdgePro to get a bit better results. But I'd simply PM Rob.  He sharpens professionally, and he knows more about it than anyone else here.  He'll probably tell you it's about how serious you want to be, much like many topics here.   

jhm731

« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2019, 12:14 am »
Anyone want a sharpener for Shun Knives?

Cost- $100.  $20. shipped.