Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

Ron

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #160 on: 22 Jun 2012, 10:04 am »
 The X-CS and the floor standing X-MTM use the same identical drivers and crossovers. The bass response of the X-CS is rated at -3 db @ 65 hz in its sealed cabinet design. The X-MTM has a bass response in the low 40 hz range as a result of its larger, rear vented cabinet.

jcotner

« Reply #161 on: 23 Jun 2012, 07:33 am »
Thanks Ron,

I did find the page (skipped it somehow going through the other 8 pages of this
thread) on the MTM floor speaker.

Was trying to understand the difference in the price.

X-MTM Classic kits are $179 and the X-MTM Encore kits are $219.

but the X-CS Encore are $99 each (so $198 for a pair)

If they are the same kits, I guess the extra cost is for the ports? and spikes?

If you already have ports and spikes I guess double X-CS kits would get
you there for a pair of floor standing MTM.

Also guessing the big thing the MTM vs. the X-LS is output levels.
I would think Danny controls it in the Xover, but I see lots of comments in
general about MTM having a ragged spot in the midrange because of
the topology. So I don't know if the MTM is just as accurate as the
X-LS, just louder. Refering to the Encore versions.

Considering these for the 5th wheel trailer. Before you laugh too
much, this thing has 3 pop outs and is close in size to a small
apartment.

Danny Richie

« Reply #162 on: 23 Jun 2012, 01:07 pm »
Thanks Ron,

I did find the page (skipped it somehow going through the other 8 pages of this
thread) on the MTM floor speaker.

Was trying to understand the difference in the price.

X-MTM Classic kits are $179 and the X-MTM Encore kits are $219.

but the X-CS Encore are $99 each (so $198 for a pair)

If they are the same kits, I guess the extra cost is for the ports? and spikes?

If you already have ports and spikes I guess double X-CS kits would get
you there for a pair of floor standing MTM.

Also guessing the big thing the MTM vs. the X-LS is output levels.
I would think Danny controls it in the Xover, but I see lots of comments in
general about MTM having a ragged spot in the midrange because of
the topology. So I don't know if the MTM is just as accurate as the
X-LS, just louder. Refering to the Encore versions.

Considering these for the 5th wheel trailer. Before you laugh too
much, this thing has 3 pop outs and is close in size to a small
apartment.

The difference in price is for floor spikes, ports, and more wire.

And the response of the X-MTM and X-CS is smoother than the response of the X-LS (by a small amount). It is actually +/-1db all the way to 4kHz.  :thumb:

And yes the sensitivity is higher and they play louder.

Captainhemo

« Reply #163 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:38 pm »
Hey Danny,
I've been considering  building a set of AV3's but after reding this thread I'mm thinking of  the X MTM Encore kit with  the sonicap upgrades.   
I realize  most of the components are different but   what about sound Kind of confused about what way to go ... Ueage will be aboiut 70/30 music / movies  and  I do have a sub.
Any thoughts  regarding the  X MTM Encore vs the AV3's ?

lacro

« Reply #164 on: 24 Jun 2012, 09:14 pm »
New-B here, I just ordered the X-LS Encores from Danny. It will be my first attempt at a decent speaker build. I have some wood working experience, but I am sure I will be looking for advise during my cabinet builds. I hope you guys can tolerate yet another first timer with dumb questions...  :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #165 on: 24 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm »
New-B here, I just ordered the X-LS Encores from Danny. It will be my first attempt at a decent speaker build. I have some wood working experience, but I am sure I will be looking for advise during my cabinet builds. I hope you guys can tolerate yet another first timer with dumb questions...  :scratch:

No problem and welcome to AC.

Danny Richie

« Reply #166 on: 25 Jun 2012, 04:07 pm »
Hey Danny,
I've been considering  building a set of AV3's but after reding this thread I'mm thinking of  the X MTM Encore kit with  the sonicap upgrades.   
I realize  most of the components are different but   what about sound Kind of confused about what way to go ... Ueage will be aboiut 70/30 music / movies  and  I do have a sub.
Any thoughts  regarding the  X MTM Encore vs the AV3's ?

The A/V-3's use the smaller M-130/16's in a transmission line. So the woofers are a little lighter weight and are better controlled in the lower mid-range and bass region. So The A/V-3 will have a better lower vocal region and tighter bass response. So a slight advantage to the A/V-3 in that regard. They are also not as wide or as large overall as the X-MTM. So WAF goes to the A/V-3.

The X-MTM Encore uses the top level tweeter from Peerless. The GR-T3 tweeter used in the A/V-3 is really good, but the edge here goes to the X-MTM Encore.  So a slight advantage to the X in the clarity of the highs. Note though that this is with both using Sonicaps. If either of the two being compared uses the standard crossover caps then the edge then shifts to the tweeter with the Sonicaps.

grimace

« Reply #167 on: 25 Jun 2012, 08:44 pm »

Welcome, here's a post to my first build which was X-LS Encore (http://goo.gl/pzL7j).  It was a lot of fun.  Look thru and learn from my mistakes.  Everyone here is very helpful.  Have fun.

Edited: fixed link

lacro

« Reply #168 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm »
Welcome, here's a post to my first build which was X-LS Encore (http://goo.gl/pzL7j).  It was a lot of fun.  Look thru and learn from my mistakes.  Everyone here is very helpful.  Have fun.

Edited: fixed link

Grimace,
Thanks for the welcome! and sharing your experience. I am glad you documented the beginning of your build, but I would love to see more. Did you finish them? Also, I see you built them without a port. I thought this design was tuned for the port?

lacro

« Reply #169 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:26 pm »
No problem and welcome to AC.

Danny, thanks for welcome, and I'm glad we got the CC thing sorted out.  I look forward to my build.

nature boy

« Reply #170 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:54 pm »
Danny,

Thank you for the encore xl-s kit and sheet of no-rez.  Everything arrived well packed in bubble wrap, newspaper and sturdy boxes.

My speaker build starts in earnest this weekend with an assist from Parts Express speaker enclosure kit.  I'm getting the soldering iron out and posted a note on my Facebook page, which I hope leads to some new customer.

Your presence and advice is very welcome by your friends and fellow AC posters.

Cheers,

NB

Ron

« Reply #171 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:22 pm »
 NB

I recently built a pair of X-LS Encores using the Parts Express cabinets. I posted pictures which may be helpful to you. Look at the following link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105301.0
If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them for you. Suggest that you lightly fill the back half of the cabinet with Dacron Poly Fil or Acousti-Stuff. Also suggest replacing the stock Poly capacitors with Sonicap capacitors.

onyxbfly

« Reply #172 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:00 pm »
Morning, Unfortunately I do not have the speakers in front of me, nor will I have access to them in the near future. But I am coming near the end of my project and I realize that there were not any quick connects included to attach to the speaker terminals.  When you have a moment can you let me know what size quick connects to use for the x-ls encore kit. TIA

Danny Richie

« Reply #173 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:25 pm »
Morning, Unfortunately I do not have the speakers in front of me, nor will I have access to them in the near future. But I am coming near the end of my project and I realize that there were not any quick connects included to attach to the speaker terminals.  When you have a moment can you let me know what size quick connects to use for the x-ls encore kit. TIA

Oh no. There are no quick connects for a reason. I do not recommend them at all. There is no reason to degrade the signal with them. That wire is a top level audiophile quality wire that is used in all of our speakers and in some very top level speaker cables. That performance advantage would be somewhat nullified by inserting a piece of Tin in the path.

Solder is provided in the kit. It is used to solder the wires to the crossover board and to the input terminals and drivers. Heat shrink is also provided in the kit to seal those soldered connections on the input terminals and drivers. 

onyxbfly

« Reply #174 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:43 pm »
Oh no. There are no quick connects for a reason. I do not recommend them at all. There is no reason to degrade the signal with them. That wire is a top level audiophile quality wire that is used in all of our speakers and in some very top level speaker cables. That performance advantage would be somewhat nullified by inserting a piece of Tin in the path.

Solder is provided in the kit. It is used to solder the wires to the crossover board and to the input terminals and drivers. Heat shrink is also provided in the kit to seal those soldered connections on the input terminals and drivers.

Ah I see, thanks for getting back to me.

nature boy

« Reply #175 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:08 pm »
Thanks Ron, this is very helpful.  I sent a note to Danny for price on the Sonicaps.  I will follow your build notes - the pics are most helpful.

NB

NB

I recently built a pair of X-LS Encores using the Parts Express cabinets. I posted pictures which may be helpful to you. Look at the following link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105301.0
If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them for you. Suggest that you lightly fill the back half of the cabinet with Dacron Poly Fil or Acousti-Stuff. Also suggest replacing the stock Poly capacitors with Sonicap capacitors.

grimace

« Reply #176 on: 29 Jun 2012, 06:45 pm »

Hey, I did finish them but they were a gift and I was really behind in finishing the build so I didn't document/take any pictures beyond what's on the post.  The rest of it was really not at all specific to the speaker (veneer, finish, grills, etc.) so you can pick that up in the other posts.

The friend I made these for was going to put them on a TV stand which bumps up to the wall so I didn't port them which just makes them bookshelf safe.  They sounded really nice.  I played them side-by-side with my B&W CDM 1SE speakers and I thought the Encore blew them away.

Have fun

nature boy

« Reply #177 on: 29 Jun 2012, 06:56 pm »
Caps and additional stuff for my speaker build is on the way.  Fun times in my cool basement next week - let the speaker build begin.

NB

Ron

« Reply #178 on: 29 Jun 2012, 08:24 pm »
  Grimace remarked that the pair X-LS that he built were sealed so that they could be placed close to the rear wall. That reminded me that if someone has a pair of vented X-LS or X-LS Encores and they wanted
to use them close to the rear wall simply stuff the rear port with a plug of acoustical foam or similar type material. Works very well.

lacro

« Reply #179 on: 29 Jun 2012, 10:12 pm »
 Danny: My X-LS Encores arrived intact, thanks!

Grimmace: Thanks for posting pics and your listening comments

Nature Boy: Looks like you and I are building at the same time.

Ron: your suggestion on filling the ports for close to wall installs is interesting.

I already see a list of questions starting. For some questions I will probably just "wing it" but, I hope you guys don't get too annoyed with my inquiries. Also, should I document my build start to finish with progress pictures every step, or just keep it low key? (KISS)

BTW/ I hate the impersonal "handle" names used so I will use my name:

Larry