Silver Preamp Out / Amp In Jumper

mhconley

Silver Preamp Out / Amp In Jumper
« on: 1 May 2009, 12:21 am »
Background:
I own a Parasound Halo based 2-channel system, a P 3 preamplifier, A 21 amplifier and D 3 universal disc player driving Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.4 speakers.  I recently upgraded interconnect cables from 1.0m BetterCables.com Silver Serpent II RCA and XLR to 0.5m PS Audio xStream Transcendent XLRs.  The Transcendent cables use solid silver wire.  I also upgraded my speaker cables from BetterCables.com Premium III bi-wires to PS Audio xStream Resolution Reference 10 gauge PCOCC bi-wires.  I noticed my P 3 preamplifier had jumpers between the preamp in and amp outs that looked to be simple chrome plated U-shaped pieces of some indeterminate metal.  From their stiffness and the sound they make when you drop them I suspect they are some sort of pot metal.  I looked at commercially available jumper cables and did not like any I found.  The jumpers do not have RCA jacks but merely connect the center pins of the preamp in and amp out.

Solution:
I looked up the spec for the RCA center pin and found it to be 3.2±0.1mm or basically 1/8".  I found a source for .9995 1/8" silver rod and purchased a foot at $5 an inch.  I then cut 2 pieces 2.5" in length (the length of the U-shaped pot metal piece when rolled on a ruler), bent them to shape using pliers and polished them.  I put them in my system last night and could not believe what I heard.  I had to swap them out several times to see if what I was hearing was real or imagined.  It was real.  I played a song I am very familiar with, the opening track from Sarah McLachlan's Afterglow Live.  What I heard was a deeper soundstage placing Sarah closer to me and her backing band further back with airier high frequencies and deeper, tighter bass.  I consider the difference as significant as that I heard after changing the interconnects and speaker cables.

It seems that every tweak I do on my system now is opening it up more and more.  I replaced the cheap plastic feet on my speakers with Soundocity outriggers and noted a definite improvement.

Anyway – I thought I would post this mini-review / how-to for a relatively inexpensive but significant tweak.

Martin

Bemopti123

Re: Silver Preamp Out / Amp In Jumper
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2009, 12:38 am »
Perhaps you can post a link to the site where you got the silver spool?

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2009, 01:39 am »
Perhaps you can post a link to the site where you got the silver spool?

Surepure Chemetals

Martin

brj

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2009, 02:56 am »
Nice review and "how to", Martin - thanks!  I've seen such pins used on other gear as well, so this idea may have wider use.