Panorama vs Sapphire XL

shuteye

Panorama vs Sapphire XL
« on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:58 am »
For those of you fortunate to have auditioned both Panoramas and Sapphire XL's, if combined with stereo Titans, which would you rather have in your system?  I recently purchased a set of Sapphire XL's and love them combined with Titans, but .... the disease has me looking at a set of Panoramas for sale on Agon.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Re: Panorama vs Sapphire XL
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:17 pm »
I have not heard the XLs, but if money was flowing, I would buy those Panorama's in a heart beat and put them upside down on top of my Panorama's, get another amp and kick my system up another notch!
I did own an older version of the Sapphire and upgraded to the Panorama's. Compared to my old Sapphires, the Panorama's have much bigger presentation and can take more power if you like to play sometimes at concert levels.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:30 pm »
I did a quick search of Panorama vs Sapphire, here's the result. Check my reply about 1/2 way down the first page, pretty much what I'd write now as well.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12535.0

I might suggest picking up the used Panos and give them a run yourself to see what you think. You'll have no difficulty selling either set should you decide to not keep them both :)

shuteye

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:38 pm »
Thanks for your responses, budyog and Mike.  Mike, I processed your comments that were to be found in your link to a previous thread (couldn't figure out how to copy a quote from it).  Those comments combined with a visit from my best friend from college days (bogarting long hairs 40 yrs ago :thumb:) helped confirm that I don't need to consider speakers with more volume capabilities than the Sapphire XL's.

My buddy came to visit for the weekend primarily to listen to fairly recent changes I've made in my system.  This includes Sapphire XL's and Titans subs recently purchased from TomS on this forum (Thanks Tom!).  My best bud brought his Sapphire III's so we could compare.  The XL's provided a bit more breathy detail and soundstage but not enough to make my bud feel bad about his III's.  With the help of my friend we also tweaked the subs to provide a seamless integration with the XL's (using a 65 Hz hi-pass filter in the mix).  Cranked up, the music held together and sounded "big".  My bud (a 15+ year ACI fan and Sapphire/Titan owner) also lectured me on the fact that Mike D would not design a monitor that, combined with ACI subs, could be beat out by another speaker just because they were a bit bigger and 3-way in design.  The Panoramas are no longer available on Agon, but that is a moot point considering this weekends intense listening (with wine of course).  Thanks for including that past thread, Mike, as it helped lay the question to rest.  I'm now basking in Sapphire XL/Titan II LE sound with no lingering doubts.

sonict72

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2010, 04:58 am »
I purchased those Panoramas on Audiogon.  I am using them as my main speakers with my trusty Aronov 960i integrated tube amp.  I couldn't be happier with this setup.  These speakers throw a huge soundstage with very good depth.  Each instrument is clearly represented in space with sense of air around it.  And they are very smooth and sweet sounding.  Clearly superior to my Vandersteen speakers that I have been using.  I just never knew what I was missing.  After having spent couple of weeks with these ACI speakers, it greatly saddens me that ACI is no longer in business.  I will be looking for another pair of used ACI speakers on Audiogon.   :cry:

shuteye

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2010, 04:36 pm »
Hey Sonict72, if your other pair of ACI's ends up being a pair of Sapphire XL's, post a comparison.  Though I've laid the matter to rest, I can't help but wonder!  I have been playing with cable (Acoustic Zen, Straightwire and Tara Labs) and have a used A'gon ARC amp coming this week (VS115, 120W) to replace (I think) my Quicksilver Silver 90's.  With the Silvers and ARC preamp, the Sapphire/Titan combination is kicking ass!  At low volumes while drinking coffee and reading in the morning, the detail and soundstage is very, very satisfying.  Everything holds together up to relatively loud listening volume, which I hope the new amp will improve on - certainly not a fault of the speaker combo.

What Vandersteen's did the Panoramas replace? 

sonict72

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2010, 03:48 am »
I think the man answered that your Sapphires will do just about everything better than my Panoramas except in the bass department.  But then you took care of that with the Titan so I don't think you have anything to do worry about.  But if you still have doubts, I will gladly trade my Panoramas for your XLs + Titan.  You just let me know. :-)   By the way, the Panoramas replaced the Vandersteen 2CEs.  I get less bass but the Panoramas are infinitely more musical. 

shuteye

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:28 pm »
Hey sonict, it is interesting to hear you say that the Panoramas are significantly more musical than the Vandersteens.  Our local high end dealer who unfortunately went out of business years ago was big on Vandersteen and I was alway impressed with their sound.  I am not surprised though, from the first time I heard my buddie's Sapphires I was impressed with the analytical, yet musical sound they achieved.  Now I'm thrilled to be dialing in the same experience in my own living room.  I'm finding ACI's are very responsive to changes in cable and that's an easy thing to buy and sell, and ship, used, with little net cash loss if done carefully.   

Regarding the bass, now just add a Titan or two and you've left the Vandersteens totally in the dust!  If I ever get a chance to plug some Panoramas in to my system, you can bet I will jump at the chance for a listening session - cause it ain't always what people say, it's what the ears hear.