Welcome to the Forum - Introduce Yourself

jermmd

« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:02 am »
Steve,

Congratulations on your purchase.  I bought a Maestro recently and I guarantee that you are going to be very happy.  It looks great and has more deep quality bass than you will believe possible from a box this size.  Definitely post your impressions as I was going to by a similar SVS sub before committing to the Maestro.  This sub is everything I hoped it would be and I hope your experience is similar.

Joe M.

steve nnn

« Reply #41 on: 10 Feb 2005, 02:12 am »
Thank you Jermmd. I do admit to wrestling with this decision for a good six months or so, but finally have come to terms. Who can not like a sub,  dubbed the "Maestro"??

My issue being I have owned six SVS subs in the past (amongst others) and still own 2. I'm very impressed with the PB12-Ultra/2 and will continue to use it as a quality option. I just thought I needed to try out something different and the sealed Maestro looked very appealing.

>>>This sub is everything I hoped it would be<<<

I'm glad to hear/read that. Quality bass sure hits the spot doesn't it?

~)x(=Fuzzy=)x(~

"Fuzzy enters the room"
« Reply #42 on: 6 Oct 2005, 06:20 am »
Hi, this is Fuzzy.

I just joined the forum today and I am excited...NO really, I am!  I really know squat about audio terms and speakers and configurations...but I enjoy music and the THEATER EXPERIENCE.

At 19 yrs. of age, I'm just beginning to get into the music production scene.  I'm peicing together my own home studio with the help of more experience...

..BUT enough of that..

I joined this forum to get advice from audio diehards.  People who aren't biased towards a certain company (*Bose*..ahem..).  I've heard their stuff and I walked away, thats that.  But coming across ACI was a great experience.  I could explain later, since I may be here for a while.

I'm looking to people who know what would be a great theater setup with 4 of ACI's B-flat 8" in-wall coax's in the ceiling of our living room.  The room is about 20' X 25' with a 12' ceiling.

I was already considering a SV subwoofer and possible the ACI protege center channel as a default choice.  Am I on the right track?

Anyway..this was a long introduction..oops.

60srok

Hello
« Reply #43 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:42 pm »
I have been one of the 'lurking ones' for a while. Now I will jump in.

My music history starts in the San Fransisco Bay area in the 60's and 70's.

Live music for $6  with choices like J Hendrix, Tower of Power, Jefferson Airplane,Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cold Blood, Hot Tuna, Steve Miller, etc. For the price often 2 of the above played. My brother in law worked with J Fogerty in a Simas Bros Gas Station.

I have judiciously use ear plugs in noisy environments my whole life..my mantra being "save your hearing for Rock and Roll!"

Now I am a 50+'s guy...yeah years old and find I listen to a lot of Classical and Jazz.

I like Country Rock (various), love  Van Morrison and can get lost in Mozart. Even Tony Bennet, Mel Torme and Sinatra are part of my music collection .

I would like some advise on speaker selection...where should I post that?

Steve

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #44 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:58 pm »
Hopefully you still enjoy all of that funky soul Tower Of Power still belts out. They are a group that is always enjoyable as my system increases in quality weather listening to them or groovin to them via one of their DVD concerts through my system featuring "ACI" speakers.
You have come to the right place! :dance: . The funky doctor.

Mike Dzurko

Re: Hello
« Reply #45 on: 10 Oct 2005, 03:23 pm »
Quote from: 60srok

Live music for $6  with choices like J Hendrix, Tower of Power, Jefferson Airplane,Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cold Blood, Hot Tuna, Steve Miller, etc. For the price often 2 of the above played. My brother in law worked with J Fogerty in a Simas Bros Gas Station.

I have judiciously use ear plugs in noisy environments my whole life..my mantra bei ...

Steve:

Welcome!

I think the most effective way to get advice on this forum is simply post a nnew topic with a title that indicates the kind of info you're looking for. Happy Monday!

Eric

Re: Hello
« Reply #46 on: 18 Oct 2005, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: 60srok

I have judiciously use ear plugs in noisy environments my whole life..my mantra bei ...

Welcome to the ACI circle

Anonymous

« Reply #47 on: 17 Dec 2005, 10:47 pm »
I owned a pair of G3s for several years back in the early 90s. I also had a pair of LV sats with an LV sub. Sold all that probably 10 years ago and have had a variety of speakers since, none of which has completely satisfied. Seriously thinking of giving some of the new ACIs a try.

rockadanny

New ACI Owner - New Member
« Reply #48 on: 18 Jan 2006, 08:01 pm »
Hello all,

I just ordered an ACI Titan sub today to complete my first hi-end system. And I am geeked about it! I hope it arrives by Friday. Thank you Mike for allowing me to bug the crap out of you for help. Not sure if anybody cares, but my system, sans the Titan, can be viewed at A'gon:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vstrt&1133881069&read&d7&zzlRockadanny&&

Whew! Now that I've ordered my sub I can just relax and listen to music. Finally done scoping out equipment (yeah, right).

Mike Dzurko

Re: New ACI Owner - New Member
« Reply #49 on: 21 Jan 2006, 09:56 pm »
Quote from: rockadanny
Hello all,

I just ordered an ACI Titan sub today to complete my first hi-end system. And I am geeked about it! I hope it arrives by Friday. Thank you Mike for allowing me to bug the crap out of you for help. Not sure if anybody cares, but my system, sans the Titan, can be viewed at A'gon:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vstrt&1133881069&read&d7&zzlRockadanny&&

Whew! Now that I've ordered my sub I can just relax and listen to music. Finally done scoping out equipment (yeah, right).

Welcome to the forum. You didn't bug the heck our of me . . . . that was someone else  :D

Anonymous

New owner
« Reply #50 on: 22 Jan 2006, 12:46 am »
Mike,

I just purchased a re-sale pair of rose walnut Titan II's and so far am enjoying them very much.

I've noodled around all the possible ways of connecting them in my system and still can't quite do everything I want to.

The system serves both 7.1 HT and 2-channel usage.  I originally started out with a REL which had a unique connection option.  It allowed simultaneous connection from the L/R speaker high level inputs as well as the LFE channel input.  With the L/R set to "large" on the surround sound controller, the sub produces both the lo pass bass from the L/R channels AND the LFE track.  This doesn't require any change to the settings which is nice.  When using it in 2-channel via the "analog direct" mode of my preamp, the L/R channels can still receive sub support for music.  Again, no changes required.

Is it possible somehow to do this with my pair?  Obviously I could connect one as LFE and the other as L/R mode, but I would lose the benefits of the stereo pair that way when I use it for 2-channel.

The rest of the system is:
Arcam DV79 CD/DVD
Arcam AVP700 7.1 Pre
Arcam P1000 7.1 Power Amp
Merlin TSM-MX's
Two ACI Titan II's

Thanks,

Tom

TomS

« Reply #51 on: 22 Jan 2006, 12:54 am »
oops I did it too, forgot to login.  Handle is TomS

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #52 on: 23 Jan 2006, 01:56 am »
Tom:

Use the Theater input for your LFE. Use the speaker adapters for regular left and right. You'll controll the Theater volume with yourprocessor and the left - right with the control on the subs . . .

TomS

« Reply #53 on: 23 Jan 2006, 03:12 am »
Thanks Mike.  I'm assuming then, that the two inputs are effectively sent to a summing circuit of some sort, one of which has the gain control, and that there is no danger to the sub from doing this?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #54 on: 23 Jan 2006, 03:50 am »
Quote from: TomS
Thanks Mike.  I'm assuming then, that the two inputs are effectively sent to a summing circuit of some sort, one of which has the gain control, and that there is no danger to the sub from doing this?

All inputs are summed in parallel. The Theater input is after the level controls, (wide open),  . . . no danger to the sub . . . enjoy!

Eric

Re: New ACI Owner - New Member
« Reply #55 on: 24 Jan 2006, 08:25 pm »
Quote from: rockadanny
Hello all,

Great purchase and welcome to the forums!!

MBWD

« Reply #56 on: 27 Mar 2006, 03:03 am »
Hi there all.  I'm new to the ACI board (I hope its ok to post a hello even if you don't own any ACI products) and had a question derived from a post I have on the two channel board.  

Basically, my question is about the sonic impact of the ACI Speaker Level Converters for speaker level connections (my amp only has speaker outs).  I am not an electrical engineer, but I am concerned that these converters will  degrade the sound in some manner.  For this reason, I have been looking more toward the REL (and the MJ Acoustics) products, which seem to be specifically designed to take speaker level inputs. If anyone can enlighten me on this, I would be happy to learn.

Also, if anyone know, I'd be interested to find out whether the Force will be coming out in the new Titan XL cabinet (which looks great).  Depending on the answer to the above question, I might be in the market for the Force, mostly b/c the Titan is just too big physically for me.  

Thanks.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #57 on: 27 Mar 2006, 12:37 pm »
Quote from: MBWD
Hi there all.  I'm new to the ACI board (I hope its ok to post a hello even if you don't own any ACI products) and had a question derived from a post I have on the two channel board.  

Basically, my question is about the sonic impact of the ACI Speaker Level Converters for speaker level connections (my amp only has speaker outs).  I am not an electrical engineer, but I am concerned that these converters will  degrade the sound in some manner.  For this reason, I have been looking more toward the REL (and ...

Of course your'e welcome! The converters perform the SAME task that is internal in the REL. It is simply a matter of adding some resistance to the circuit to bring the level down from speaker level to line level. There is no sonic difference between whether it is done externall or internally. Now there are other important differences between the REL subs and ours, but that is a whole other issue  :D  Feel free to ask away and feel free to participate here in any way you choose!
Happy Monday!

MBWD

« Reply #58 on: 28 Mar 2006, 03:17 am »
Great thanks.  

Re: the Force and its new cabinet.  I thought that I read somewhere on this board that it would be modified to look like the new Titan XL.  Is this correct or did I misread?  And if you know, when will that occur, as I like the new style.

Thanks. - M.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #59 on: 28 Mar 2006, 12:33 pm »
Quote from: MBWD
Great thanks.  

Re: the Force and its new cabinet.  I thought that I read somewhere on this board that it would be modified to look like the new Titan XL.  Is this correct or did I misread?  And if you know, when will that occur, as I like the new style.

Thanks. - M.

You are correct. The Force will also be getting the XL look.  I'm guessing pre-orders will start in April with first shipments in May. Keep your eyes open for announcement and info here.