Greg's SoundScape 8's in dyed zebrawood

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Re: Greg's SoundScape 8's in dyed zebrawood
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:29 am »
Beautiful finish. I hope you enjoy the Bryston/Salk combo as much as I do.

WireNut

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:35 am »
Those be perdy. Looks like some Thiel and Raal drivers in there. 

Mudslide

« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:50 am »
Beeee-U-tiful!  Congrats.

Dang, Funkmonkey-Greg...for a minute there, I thought you upgraded.   :slap:

OgOgilby

« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:42 pm »
Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

I felt that we needed to Golden Retriever proof the SoundScapes (they seemed a little wobbly on our carpet which has a thick pad underneath) and also make the SS8's easier to move around, since I like tweaking speaker position and toe-in.

After looking at Herbie's Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders ($257.86 plus shipping) I decided to head over to Home Depot to see about making some homemade gliders. I ended up purchasing 2 packs of 2-3/8 in. Round Concave Magic Sliders (4 per pack, $7.95 for each pack), 8 heavy metal washers ($2.64 total), and 8 1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Steel Axel-Hat Nuts which I didn't use - they will scratch the anodized finish of the spikes and I found that I didn't need them. The homemade version doesn't look quite as polished as Herbie's Gliders, but they work quite well and make moving the SoundScapes much easier.

I was able to use the Soundocity outriggers from my HT2 TL's to stabilize the SS8's. I didn't think they would be wide enough for the SS8's, but they fit perfectly. I did remove the pointy tips from the spikes.

Now the speakers are rock solid on the carpet and are pretty easy to move around. Not sure if decoupling the speakers from the carpet made an audible difference or not.

« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2013, 06:10 pm by OgOgilby »

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:08 pm »
Nothing like a little extra DIY work to improve upon an already excellent product, Greg. :thumb:  Now your new babies are secure and the finish on the spikes will remain unmolested.  Nice work buddy - it looks awesome! 

OgOgilby

« Reply #25 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:17 am »
Beautiful finish. I hope you enjoy the Bryston/Salk combo as much as I do.

Thanks Pete, so far, so good :thumb:

BTW, how do you like the Cary Audio SLP 03?

-Greg

OgOgilby

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:24 am »
Nothing like a little extra DIY work to improve upon an already excellent product, Greg. :thumb:  Now your new babies are secure and the finish on the spikes will remain unmolested.  Nice work buddy - it looks awesome!

Thanks Brandon. Unfortunately I scratched the tips of a four of the spikes when I tested the first version of the sliders. It's not a big deal since these speakers aren't going anywhere - they are keepers.

chargedmr2

« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:39 am »
Nice speakers!  I do like that veneer quite a bit.  And since you can't capture it well in a photograph, you'll have to open your home to the Salk community...I see no other option :thumb:

boisty

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:56 am »
wow those are really stunning.  congrats

funkmonkey

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2013, 04:36 am »
Beeee-U-tiful!  Congrats.

Dang, Funkmonkey-Greg...for a minute there, I thought you upgraded.   :slap:

:o :o  :lol:  I would be a liar if I said I hadn't thought about it!!!   

This Greg chose a really nice veneer too!   :thumb:  beautiful speakers Greg
-Greg

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2013, 04:48 am »
A beautiful finish indeed, Jim, and I have no doubt that they do recorded music with fine detail top to bottom and breadth of life.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2013, 12:35 am »

Thanks Pete, so far, so good :thumb:

BTW, how do you like the Cary Audio SLP 03?

-Greg
I'm testing the system with the oppo BDP 105 direct to the amp and through the slp03 in a comparison.  Will advise in a week or so. I have a promotional exam Wednesday. Will have time after then.

jriggy

« Reply #32 on: 26 Apr 2013, 02:53 am »

Not sure if decoupling the speakers from the carpet made an audible difference or not.
I have been using Herbie's decoupling gliders for a hand full of years on a couple different speakers. Tested with and without. In my experience you would hear an audible benefit by going with herbies product over your DIY solution... Of course if it is just the movability of the speakers and not a sound benefit tweek, then you have achieved it and saved some bucks.

OgOgilby

« Reply #33 on: 26 Apr 2013, 03:31 am »
:o :o  :lol:  I would be a liar if I said I hadn't thought about it!!!   

This Greg chose a really nice veneer too!   :thumb:  beautiful speakers Greg
-Greg

:lol: Thanks Greg. So when are you upgrading from your HT3's?

-Greg

OgOgilby

« Reply #34 on: 26 Apr 2013, 03:44 am »
I have been using Herbie's decoupling gliders for a hand full of years on a couple different speakers. Tested with and without. In my experience you would hear an audible benefit by going with herbies product over your DIY solution... Of course if it is just the movability of the speakers and not a sound benefit tweek, then you have achieved it and saved some bucks.

Hmmm, it wouldn't cost much for you to compare your Herbie's to my home made version  :wink:

Yes, I added them for movability, but who knows, they may have improved the sound. Since the speakers are new I don't really have much of a "before sliders" listening reference and no real desire to test with and without sliders right now.

-Greg

funkmonkey

« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2013, 09:01 pm »
:lol: Thanks Greg. So when are you upgrading from your HT3's?

-Greg

Well, Powerball just came to SoCal, so I might be able to afford an upgrade soon   :wink:   

:beer:

OgOgilby

« Reply #36 on: 1 May 2013, 03:05 pm »
Well, Powerball just came to SoCal, so I might be able to afford an upgrade soon   :wink:   

:beer:

:lol: You must you have better luck with lotteries than I do!

-Greg

OgOgilby

« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2013, 07:41 pm »
Pics in my posts are updated - more accurate to the look of the speakers.

Call it break in or maybe my hearing is adjusting to the SoundScapes, but I would swear the SS8's sound better now than when I first received them and that is saying something. These are flat out awesome speakers  :thumb:

Thanks again Jim!

-Greg