A quad of 10" VMPS woofers - What were they used in and does anybody need them?

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
Quite a while ago, I acquired 4 VMPS carbon fiber woofers with black wooden phase plugs.  I am primarily a DIY'er and thought they would be great for an open baffle application or maybe a large sealed speaker.  A lot has happened since then.  Brian passed away, VMPS shut down, I have designed and built a lot of speakers, and I have acquired enough other drivers to keep me occupied for a long time.  The open baffle project is actually something I could consider starting next and they are pretty cool woofers, but as I review what has happened, it occurs to me that a better use for them might be to help someone who has a need for these specific woofers.

Can anyone identify what these go into?

These are available.  I am open to cash sale or trade for other interesting audio items including speaker parts.

Bob Stark

Hey MJ,

They look exactly like the ones I have in my VMPS RM40 speakers.  4 would exactly replace someone's 4 woofers in one set.  Mine are fine, at this point, but someone WILL need them.

Bob

P.S.   I believe them sold for $140 each on the VMPS website.  Since they are no longer being produced, you could make a few people very happy.  I was a VMPS demonstrator for the last 4-5 years for Brian.

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
Thanks Bob!

That gives me some guidance on pricing, too.  My rule of thumb for used drivers (these appear to have been previously mounted based on the back of the flange) is half of the original price, so that would make my asking price $280 for all 4.  As indicated in the first post, I will consider trades also.

Bob Stark

You're welcome.  Good luck.  There have been several people looking for these exact woofers.

Bob

oldhvymec

Quite a while ago, I acquired 4 VMPS carbon fiber woofers with black wooden phase plugs.

Can anyone identify what these go into?

These are available.  I am open to cash sale or trade for other interesting audio items including speaker parts.

Ok there is more than one type of 10"WCF the one with the longer phase plug (more of a bullet shape) and single stack magnet is a BASS coupler.
The 10"WCF with a double stack magnet and a shorter phase plug (about a 1/4 to 1/2" shorter and almost flat) is a bass (sub driver). Your drivers look like mid bass couplers. The Top driver on RM40s.
The bottom drivers are usually a double stack (factory). There were however some speakers that were set up with dual bass couplers and cut off at 40hz or so to blend very nicely with Brian's subs. 
The last setup, I'm a VERY big fan of. I had a set, just that way.  Dual bass couplers in RM40s with dual larger subs doing 40hz<.
I had a pair. I got to side by sided them with RMx Elixirs.
I still have the Elixirs, and wish I'd never gotten rid of the RM40s. Wonderful speaker for the money.
OH BTW that 10"WCF is the same coupler used in the RMXs bottom front. 10" Mid bass coupler.
The side fire is a 12" double stack WCF (BASS driver), with a 2 3/4 length, phase plug. Cool thing all of the WCFs you can see light through the material. Very Very fast moving driver. Mine were 8 ohm x 2 p for 4 ohm load.

Happy holidays Scotty (OldHvyMec)