Free crossover design services for the rest of the summer.

Danny Richie

GR Research is a fairly small corporation and I spend my time among various aspects of the business. I do some design work, some assembly work, pack and fill orders, handle calls and e-mails, and all kinds of other things.

As I reflect upon my work and think about what it is that I really enjoy most (besides listening to music) it really comes back to the design work. I really enjoy the crossover design work and trying to take things to new levels. I strive on challenges. And trying to get the most out of a given design is very rewarding.

So for the month of June rest of the summer I am going to offer free crossover design services.

Here are the specifics.

You have to send me the speaker. You don't need to send me the pair unless I am also building them out. I need just one of them. No you can't just tell me what drivers you have and expect me to design something based on T/S parameters. I need them here in the box that you are using them in or that they were designed for. This can include various commercial designs that have fallen short of the mark. I design based on acoustic output of the drivers and the cabinet design (surface reflections) are part of the output. So I have to have a speaker here.

When I design a crossover for you then you have the rights to use it for your own enjoyment and not for commercial profit. If you are seeking design work for something that you intend to produce and sell that I am still glad to help you, but profiting on my design work (my intellectual property) will require an agreement prior to the work being done.

You will get a full set of measurements with the design showing you exactly how it performs.

You will buy your crossover parts from GR Research. I am not going to do the design work for free then hand you a schematic so you can source the parts elsewhere. Budget parts will be recommend for budget designs and higher end parts will be recommended for higher end designs. Options of types and prices of parts will be made available.

You must wire the drivers used in the design so that they can be driven externally. That means each driver has a pair of wires that are accessible even if you have to hang the wires out the port.

There may be a handling fee if you send me a large speaker for me to have to box and un-box.

And you pay shipping both ways. 

I can then provide you with the parts and a schematic so you can assemble them yourself, or I can provide assembled crossovers for you. I can even fully assemble the speakers for you. But only the design work is free.

No other company has ever offered a service like this before. Now is your chance to get professional designs services at no cost. You can even send me what you my have designed or had designed elsewhere for measuring, testing, and evaluation. We have always offered free testing and measuring services. Again commercially purchased models are also welcome.

I had so much fun with the design work that I took in for the month of June that I am going to extend the offer for the rest of the summer.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2018, 12:38 am by Danny Richie »

Early B.

Re: Free crossover design services?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2018, 07:19 pm »
A couple of years ago, I sent Danny one of my speakers. To keep the story short -- he re-designed the speakers and took them to a completely different level. My speakers sound so good that my wife insisted that I don't trade them. She's never said that about any of my gear in the past 20 years.

If you've ever considered upgrading the crossover in your speakers in lieu of buying new ones, this opportunity is an absolute no brainer.     

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2018, 08:43 pm »
Wow! That is a great offer. Tempted to try that out on an old pair I have. Bought them for a second system long before I knew of  AC/GR Research. B&W DM602 S3's. At least decent drivers and so-so enclosures. Often wondered what they would sound like with upgraded crossovers.

Danny - I know through the years you have done this for a wide variety of speakers for many people and companies. Do you have a Master list of those speakers you have already done crossover analysis on?

Chops

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2018, 10:30 pm »
Wow Danny! What an awesome gesture to the community and offering your expert talents like this. Very very cool indeed!  :thumb: :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 11:45 pm »
Danny - I know through the years you have done this for a wide variety of speakers for many people and companies. Do you have a Master list of those speakers you have already done crossover analysis on?

I have files on almost all of them and it would number in the hundreds. Some of them I can't share though.

oem-wheels

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 03:42 am »
wow, that is a great offer.. and I would of jumped on it last week before I sold my speakers.. darn.. Paradigm Signature S2v3 .. Couldn't get an easy answer on how the crossover was designed (symmetrical or asymmetrical) so I sold them and bought something I know is symmetrical. But I feel the drivers in that speaker was good.. And wonder what it can do if  the crossover was improved

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 03:22 pm »
wow, that is a great offer.. and I would of jumped on it last week before I sold my speakers.. darn.. Paradigm Signature S2v3 .. Couldn't get an easy answer on how the crossover was designed (symmetrical or asymmetrical) so I sold them and bought something I know is symmetrical. But I feel the drivers in that speaker was good.. And wonder what it can do if  the crossover was improved

Yes, their crossover parts are usually pretty cheesy.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 05:18 pm »
I have files on almost all of them and it would number in the hundreds. Some of them I can't share though.
Out of curiosity, have you done any B&W Speakers? And more specifically, the "lower end" ones like what I have (DM602 S3's)? It would be a lot easier for me if you had already done a pair.  :green:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2018, 05:39 pm »
Danny:  a fine and generous offer!

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2018, 05:56 pm »
What an offer   :thumb:

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2018, 06:26 pm »
Out of curiosity, have you done any B&W Speakers? And more specifically, the "lower end" ones like what I have (DM602 S3's)? It would be a lot easier for me if you had already done a pair.  :green:

I have been into some 805's but it's been a while.

HT cOz

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2018, 06:05 am »
Danny this is such an amazing offer!  I enjoyed my modified RS750 crossover upgrage and my N3 Towers that you designed. 
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 07:31 am by HT cOz »

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2018, 03:40 pm »
Danny, I'm not sure if the ask got buried somewhere in the PM pile, but I thought I would throw this out there:  Do you have any thoughts about trying to do what JBL can't or won't?  Looking around, it seems one could pick up a pair of LSR708i or M2 fairly frequently at a reasonable price, and I'm thinking there might be some interest in the audiophile community for a solution using these top-of-the-line JBL driver/horn designs as turn-key speakers with existing gear intended for passive rather than active crossover speakers.  I know JBL themselves makes the 4367 to be the "passive M2" speaker, but if I had a dollar for every time I've read someone say something like, "That's nice, but the M2 horn is better...," I would probably have a budget to get a pair myself for free.  :lol:

I'm sure some would argue that going passive on these designs is missing the point entirely, but that there are people finding various creative ways to mate the speakers with electronics outside of the JBL ecosystem suggests that there are already some working on thinking outside the corporate box, so to speak.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2018, 02:01 pm »
Danny, I'm not sure if the ask got buried somewhere in the PM pile, but I thought I would throw this out there:  Do you have any thoughts about trying to do what JBL can't or won't?  Looking around, it seems one could pick up a pair of LSR708i or M2 fairly frequently at a reasonable price, and I'm thinking there might be some interest in the audiophile community for a solution using these top-of-the-line JBL driver/horn designs as turn-key speakers with existing gear intended for passive rather than active crossover speakers.  I know JBL themselves makes the 4367 to be the "passive M2" speaker, but if I had a dollar for every time I've read someone say something like, "That's nice, but the M2 horn is better...," I would probably have a budget to get a pair myself for free.  :lol:

I'm sure some would argue that going passive on these designs is missing the point entirely, but that there are people finding various creative ways to mate the speakers with electronics outside of the JBL ecosystem suggests that there are already some working on thinking outside the corporate box, so to speak.

I'll be glad to take on the design of a passive filter for them if someone wants to send me a pair.

Sparky14

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2018, 03:20 pm »
Danny, I am interested. Would it be worth your time to work on an old pair of Jamo 7.4 Bookshelves?

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2018, 03:49 pm »
Danny, I am interested. Would it be worth your time to work on an old pair of Jamo 7.4 Bookshelves?

Send them to me and I'll take measurements and evaluate them. Then I can recommend some options.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2018, 12:39 pm »
First pair up is a VMPS 626.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2018, 01:09 pm »
You have worked on the 626s before, with great results, it seems. These are in a little worse shape than the ones you had before. I will be curious to see if you do the same thing, or have some new ideas.

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2018, 06:04 pm »
I had so much fun with the design work that I took in for the month of June that I am going to extend the offer for the rest of the summer.

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2018, 06:15 pm »
You have worked on the 626s before, with great results, it seems. These are in a little worse shape than the ones you had before. I will be curious to see if you do the same thing, or have some new ideas.

Those were a major overhaul and a huge transformation. I took some pictures and documented the before and after results for those that might be interested in what can be done with them.