crossover build question for the MTM Otica

flavo

crossover build question for the MTM Otica
« on: 20 Apr 2018, 04:50 pm »
The only picture I have seen for the crossovers on the MTM Otica is the one Ed posted. Since my build will turn out physically similar to his, just not as pretty. I don't really have an issue with just following his CO build either. 
Ed, what would you have done differently? I'm thinking that I don't need to route spaces for the caps and can just leave a cavity between the H-frame and MTM? Any reason not to?

I am curious what other have done with there COs and any pictures would be wonderful.  Having never built a CO before, what should I know going in?
Thank you everyone.

Mike

Captainhemo

Re: crossover build question for the MTM Otica
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2018, 05:23 pm »

jay

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2018, 01:59 am »
The only picture I have seen for the crossovers on the MTM Otica is the one Ed posted. Since my build will turn out physically similar to his, just not as pretty. I don't really have an issue with just following his CO build either. 
Ed, what would you have done differently? I'm thinking that I don't need to route spaces for the caps and can just leave a cavity between the H-frame and MTM? Any reason not to?

I am curious what other have done with there COs and any pictures would be wonderful.  Having never built a CO before, what should I know going in?
Thank you everyone.

Mike

Mike, the only thing that I would have done differently would be in the sequence of the build.  If I were to do it again I would have routed the crossover path before gluing the top piece that the Otica base fits inside.  That would have given me much more control and less awkward routing as well as a nicer finished product.

One thing to keep in mind, locating the crossover in a 2.25” deep base limits your future options with regard to beefier caps or wider inductors.  The other thing to note is that you will be forced to align your inductors in the same plane, so be certain to keep them as far apart as possible, that is the core reason my layout is what it is, trying to spread out the inductors.

Your build is looking good, thanks for sharing.

Best,
Ed

flavo

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2018, 02:29 am »
Thank you gentleman.   :D
Until I pulled the caps out of the box today, I thought your routing was done in just one sheet of MDF. I see the caps are much to large for that now.
It's all coming together. Very slowly. Haha

I picked up my grill cloth this evening and draped it over the speaker. I love it and it makes the whole thing look that much more complete.
I tried getting a decent pic but the lighting just wasn't in my favor.