What output format to choose under XP?

Brucemck

What output format to choose under XP?
« on: 20 Apr 2009, 04:51 pm »
Steve, I run an XP laptop powering your Turbo2 (and from there onto your PaceCar and from there onto your DEQX  :icon_lol: )

My output choices using the Empirical driver that auto loads with your products are Direct Sound and Wave Out (ASIO and WASAPI don't work)

I assume that Direct Sound is best?  Does this avoid all the KMixer crud?  I assume it's superior to the ASIO that your old M Audio driver used, but have no idea why.

All a long winded way of asking, can you elucidate the output format / driver choices and issues?

Thanks

audioengr

Re: What output format to choose under XP?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009, 07:35 pm »
Steve, I run an XP laptop powering your Turbo2 (and from there onto your PaceCar and from there onto your DEQX  :icon_lol: )

My output choices using the Empirical driver that auto loads with your products are Direct Sound and Wave Out (ASIO and WASAPI don't work)

I assume that Direct Sound is best?  Does this avoid all the KMixer crud?  I assume it's superior to the ASIO that your old M Audio driver used, but have no idea why.

All a long winded way of asking, can you elucidate the output format / driver choices and issues?

Thanks

No, you are missing out on the magic right now.  If you are using XP with a turbo 2 that is "Empirical 1.1" in Foobar Preferences, then you can do a lot  better.

Do this (unmap the device):

Go to Control Panel - System Hardware - Device Manager - Sound Video and Game Controllers – Empirical 1.1  - Right-Click and select Properties - Audio Devices – Empirical 1.1 - Properties - Set "Do not use audio features" and set "Do not map through this Device"
You will need to reboot and then if you change it back to mapped, then you must re-boot.

Now, files wil not play with WMP, but they will play fine with Foobar.

Also, email me and I will return email a copy of Directsound2.  This is what you should be using.

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2009, 12:34 am »
I use J River MC13, not Foobar ... assume this works with the device unmapping and Directsound2 too?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2009, 05:06 am »
I use J River MC13, not Foobar ... assume this works with the device unmapping and Directsound2 too?

Unmapping, but not Directsound2.

Steve N.