Quantum Products Symphony Pro

audioengr

« on: 14 Apr 2006, 05:47 pm »
I was first introduced to this product at 2006 CES, where they installed in my listening room for a few days.  I noticed an immediate improvement in the sound quality.  More smooth and natural.  More ambience.  I also actually had people that were unaware of the device come in the room and state that they "felt good" in there.  I can only explain that it enhances the listening experience in a visceral way.

I was sceptical at first as was my wife and concerned about possible hazards, but after some bench testing and exposure to X-Ray film, I am convinced that the emissions are very low and not a hazard to human health.  I wish I knew how this thing works.  All I know is that it does work.

http://www.quantumqrt.com/symphpro.htm

Steve N.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2006, 07:17 pm »
Steve,

I use one of these as well and I will be damned if I can explain why it works, but it just does.

I think it is definitely worth a try.

George

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2006, 07:20 pm »
What is it???

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2006, 07:46 pm »
Signal to noise ratio dramatically increases in an asymtotic curve as EMF noise is quantumly zapped to smithereens.  Young wine ages in minutes to perfect drinkable age by process known as the quantum dance of phenols.  Hair starts to grow in long dormant follicles from quantum excitation of basal cells.   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

If Steve and George vouch for it, it must work but I wonder how it would interact with Bybee quantum purifiers.  :?:

Vtech2000

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2006, 08:17 pm »
Destroyer of Smiles wrote:  What is it???

Well, if you check out the web site, it contains probably all they care to make public.

I was first "exposed" to Quantum's technology at 2004 CES - I spent at least an hour in their demo room.  Remarkable products.

_scotty_

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2006, 09:37 pm »
FWIW, I auditioned an earlier version of the RT800 AC Source/EMF Stabilizer which had 6 outlets and a switch that allowed you to do an A/B
comparision with the circuit in operation and with it off.  The product would not pass a single blind test with my friend who was familiar with it's effects.
He could not tell if the unit was in operation or turned off.  We verified that the unit was producing RF buy removing the cover and bringing an AM radio close enough that interference was caused by the device when it was turned
on. With the cover on no AM interference was noted.
Scotty

Vtech2000

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2006, 09:56 pm »
Quote from: _scotty_
FWIW, I auditioned an earlier version of the RT800 AC Source/EMF Stabilizer which had 6 outlets and a switch that allowed you to do an A/B
comparision with the circuit in operation and with it off.  The product would not pass a single blind test with my friend who was familiar with it's effects.
He could not tell if the unit was in operation or turned off.  We verified that the unit was producing RF buy removing the cover and bringing an AM radio close enough that interference was caused by the device when it was turned
on. With the cover on no AM interference was noted.
Scotty

I guess that's why we hear and use the term "your mileage may vary"...with all due respect, a number of respectable and trustworthy reviewers are on record begging to differ with your audition results.  

By the way, we must remember to be careful when we are performing some types of short-term A/B comparisons - we often may need substantial analysis time to perceive a notable difference.

Vtech2000

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2006, 03:01 am »
Quote from: tvad4
They are offering their opinions, which are no more or less valid than anyone who has heard the product for themselves. What percentage of reviews have you ever read that were negative about a product? I'd say better than 95% of all reviews I have read range from positive to wildly positive.

While reviewer's comments are helpful when determining which components to consider, they should not be considered more credible then anyone else's.

In my opinion.

I owned a Symphony Pro a couple years ago. It  ...

Understood, and agreed.

The point is, in nearly all the reviews I read, it is apparent that the reviewer "lived" with the subject gear for a fairly significant length of time.

Vtech2000

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2006, 03:24 am »
I think any of you who really know who Jim Merod is, respect him and his opinions a great deal.  Here is his opinion of the Quantum Symphony:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0800/quantum.htm

gstraley

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2006, 04:35 am »
_Scotty_, as you know the Quantum did not make a difference on your system but with 3 other systems plus mine it has made a noticeable and significant improvement to our systems. Just because you do not hear it on your system does not mean that the product does not work. Either your power is exceptionally good or the 3 huge slave inductors that you are using is causing you not to hear what this unit can do. I will say tho that in my system I prefer to only plug my digital into the Quantum RS 600. If I plug my amp and preamp into the Quantum I feel that the dynamics loose there attack and the sound becomes to syrupy sweet.      I experienced a problem with my unit. I move my Quantum often to other audiophile's systems. I had a coil that was held in with hot melt glue give away. It shorted out the circuit board. I sent it in to the manufacturer and they fixed it. When I listened to it after it came back I felt that it was not sounding right. I contacted the people at Quantum and they told me to send it back. After I received it back the second time it now sounds very good again.  For those interested in the Quantum for their system I strongly suggest trying one piece of equipment at a time and deciding if it is an improvement or not with each individual piece of equipment. Some equipment will sound better into the Quantum and others sound better plugged directly into the wall.  Kind of an expensive piece of gear for me considering that I am only plugging one piece into a 6 outlet device. But the improvement that I received is worth it just for the one piece of gear that benefited from the Quantum technology. I do not understand how RFI can improve the sound of your equipment, especially when most other power conditioners do everything that they can to remove it.

Gregg

_scotty_

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2006, 05:15 am »
I think this is a technology that should be auditioned in a persons system
before purchasing because of the YMMV factor. As far as Greg's results in other systems are concerned he heard what heard and the change was not so subtle as to require living with the product for an extended period of time
in order to notice a difference.  I hope I have better power than average because the transformer that serves my townhouse is twenty ft. away from
my living room and the power lines are a buried service. The 50+pounds of slave inductors may have had an effect on the outcome of our experiment,
I don't know. If the device works off of RF noise injection into the AC line
I don't know how the inductors would have affected the outcome.
We tried plugging the preamp and the digital front end into the device and we
could not hear any difference.  Many of the components in our two systems are the same and the two systems have similar levels of resolution so we are left with a mystery and fortunately I don't have to find the money for an upgrade.
Scotty

Mike82

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2006, 12:51 am »
I purchased 4 Electroclears about 3 years ago and was so impressed with the improvement it offered that I then bought a Symphony Pro. Since then, I've been thru 5 power line conditioners (PLC) and have never had and inclination to sell the Symphony Pro.

For the person who tried to blind test the unit, I've found that it takes  about 30 mins before it's effect is fully noticed.  

FWIW, Quantum's QRT technology is also ued in 2 respected (and pricey) PLCs, namely the Reimyo and the Walker.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2006, 02:12 am »
someone alot smarter than I once explained that it adds "dither" to the electrical grid around it's location.  

I wonder how it would interact with Bybee quantum purifiers.

And they work quite well with Bybees....

I'd say better than 95% of all reviews I have read range from positive to wildly positive.

I also am close friends with several reviewers.  The reason you don't get many negative reviews is the reviewer will usually send back whatever piece of gear to the manufacturer with a polite "no thanks" on the review.  The manufacturer then has an opportunity to fix the issues, sonic or mechanical, and be re-reviewed. If they can't or don't, it simply does not get reviewed.  Can we put that one to rest now?[/quote]

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2006, 07:20 pm »
Hi
I have a non pro version of the Symphony.

I won't comment on the sound, but I still have it  8) .

Not much to it inside.
There is a voltage regulator, one chip (a Programmable Logic Device), a transformer, and a handful of caps.

There is also room for other stuff, so I am guessing they just add some more parts to make the pro version.

I never put a scope to it, but I think the PLD is just sending a waveform to the transformer.

Randy