Lampi Amber Plus - Stuck on valve question!

Tim F

Lampi Amber Plus - Stuck on valve question!
« on: 8 Oct 2019, 09:55 pm »
Hey all,

Tracked you all down from the UK and heard you were the place to ask questions!  :D

I'm tube rolling with the Amber and I've got completely stuck.  :o

Of the two smaller valves I started with a Mullard Ecc81 in it and all the replacements I've been trying have been fine. So not problem with this one....

The other smaller valve, I had 5963's in Jan Phillips and a Hewlett Packard valve in, also a 5963 by Sylvania (which sounds much better). This is where I'm stuck!

What I'm confused about is that all the info I can find says this valve should be a 12AU7 / ECC82. I've gone and bought a load of NOS ECC82's and the first two to arrive have been giving off really high levels of distortion. I thought it was the valves but perhaps not.

I know the specification of the 12AU7 / ECC82 valves is different to the 5963. I now know that the 5963 has different specs for grid voltage, anode voltage (only 75v vs 250v for the 12AU7), anode current and a slightly smaller gain.

I'm beginning to think the DAC should take the 5963 but this conflicts with everything I've read and I can't find a manual. Any idea about this?

Sorry for the long question!

Thanks all  :green: Tim

Audiophile58

Re: Lampi Amber Plus - Stuck on valve question!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2019, 12:24 pm »
If you want great tight matched valves call Brent Jesse recordings in the US  all
Well matched New a Old Stock ,not used rubbish on ebay .
Vintage tube services are also very good 50s-60s  ecc82-12au7 50-60s years only are the Best Most dependable Amperex ,Mazda probably most. Well balanced
$125-150 per tube premium Amperex $300 each ad great lsdt for years.
I hope that helps a bit cheers.

Kalali

Re: Lampi Amber Plus - Stuck on valve question!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2019, 06:57 pm »
Hi Tim - I notice you're not getting much input about your tube questions. I wonder if you heard anything directly from the company. I have an Amber as well and have tried to get some input on valves, even emailed LamizatOrNA a couple of times but got no answers. They seem to respond to all other types of questions such as DAC upgrade options, etc., but no response when to comes to valves or anything internal to the DAC. I suppose they expect owners ship their (old) DACs to Poland for valve replacement and I find that unacceptable. Mine is about 5.5 years old and the tubes are possibly tired.
Anyway rant aside, can you please tell me which valves are in which locations, e.g., Ecc81 in V1 and Ecc82 in V2 or its the other way around? I bought mine used and the tubes in mine are NOS Brimar, possibly OEM, with no visible markings indicating the numbers. Also, as far as I know, Ecc81/Ecc82 should be direct replacements for 12AT7/12AU7 tubes, respectively.
Appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.  

P.S. Tried to send you a private message with no luck.