Parttimeaudiophile Review M3

ric

Re: Parttimeaudiophile Review M3
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2020, 01:45 pm »
I think this is the best (most concise) review of Spatials yet!

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2020, 05:11 pm »
A big congratulations to Clayton for this excellent review.  Still love my M3S.  Upgraded my cartridge recently and I am just amazed at how the M3S reveals the improvement.

Jprod

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2020, 05:59 pm »
A big congratulations to Clayton for this excellent review.  Still love my M3S.  Upgraded my cartridge recently and I am just amazed at how the M3S reveals the improvement.
What cartridge did you end up getting/

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2020, 08:23 pm »
What cartridge did you end up getting/

I have a Clearaudio Ebony Performer V2.  I accidently bent the cantilever.  Not a pleasant experience.  In order to retip my Clearaudio cartridge it was going to cost 80% of its price new which is $450.  Instead of paying $360 to get it retipped or replaced by Clearaudio, I instead spent $450 to have Soundsmith retip it.  Here is a link to the Soundsmith retipping options:

https://www.sound-smith.com/options-cantilever-and-stylus-shapes

I went with the Boron Cantilever and it has been a significant improvement over the original.  For example some of my hotly pressed classical piano LPs would distort during intense passages on my cartridge before due to tracking limitations.  Now I have no trouble with tracking on these recordings.  Sounds powerful and clean.  Other improvement were tighter and more detailed bass, more stable stage, and more clarity in general.

My next cartridge may be a Soundsmith.  I like how they will retip their cartridges for only 20% of their price new.  And they are made in USA.

harley.guy07

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2020, 10:41 pm »
I read that review last night. Very good. Makes me think about upgrading from my Turbo S's. But a DAC is on my shortlist. In fact, I have already ordered it but it is on backorder so I am waiting for 4 to 6 weeks. We just moved a year ago for my wife's career and we are renting until we find the right home so my wife has said after this DAC comes in I am on hold until we buy a house.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2020, 10:44 pm »
I read that review last night. Very good. Makes me think about upgrading from my Turbo S's. But a DAC is on my shortlist. In fact, I have already ordered it but it is on backorder so I am waiting for 4 to 6 weeks. We just moved a year ago for my wife's career and we are renting until we find the right home so my wife has said after this DAC comes in I am on hold until we buy a house.

What DAC did you order?

harley.guy07

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2020, 10:45 pm »
Denafrips Pontus. The dac I have now has a Sabre 9038pro chip in it and a smaller power supply and while it has bass and sounds ok there is no layering and the soundstage in narrow.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2020, 11:13 pm »
Denafrips Pontus. The dac I have now has a Sabre 9038pro chip in it and a smaller power supply and while it has bass and sounds ok there is no layering and the soundstage in narrow.
That DAC sure seems like a good choice.  Looks super nice.  Would like to know how it works out for you.

harley.guy07

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2020, 11:32 pm »
I will make sure to report back once I have got it and given it some burn-in time 8)

harley.guy07

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2020, 02:44 am »
I will make sure to report back once I have got it and given it some burn-in time 8)
Well I ended up buying the Venus II which is a large step up because it was available. Will still let you know how it sounds

rebbi

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2020, 08:18 pm »
Hey, Guys,
I'm the author of the M3 Sapphire review and I appreciate the kind comments. As you can tell I've been a Spatial fan for quite awhile now and I hope the review gave you a sense of how the M3 Sapphire performs. These things are hard to put into words but I tried my best!  :D
Best Regards,
Steve

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2020, 08:50 pm »
Hey, Guys,
I'm the author of the M3 Sapphire review and I appreciate the kind comments. As you can tell I've been a Spatial fan for quite awhile now and I hope the review gave you a sense of how the M3 Sapphire performs. These things are hard to put into words but I tried my best!  :D
Best Regards,
Steve

Good job Steve!

-Ron
New Record Day

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2020, 10:09 pm »
Hey, Guys,
Best Regards,
Steve

Steve,  Your reviews are not only enjoyable to read but also gave me the confidence I needed to audition the Spatial M3TM.  Very glad I did.  Tone, soundstage, and imaging are the key reasons why I kept them as they are my priority attributes.  I traded them in on the M3S because quite frankly, I trusted what Clayton said about the improvements.  And now that I have had the M3S for a year I most certainly still trust Clayton.  My focus has switched to the rest of the chain in my reference system.

Jean-Paul

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2020, 02:01 am »
Hey, Guys,
Best Regards,
Steve

Any chance you can do a piece on one of the "X" series models and make a comparison?

rebbi

« Reply #15 on: 1 Nov 2020, 03:49 pm »
Any chance you can do a piece on one of the "X" series models and make a comparison?

Man, I would LOVE to review an X-series model, but that's all up to Clayton. Maybe if you all petition him?...  :lol:

Steve

rebbi

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2020, 03:49 pm »
Good job Steve!

-Ron
New Record Day

Coming from you, Ron, that means a lot.

Many thanks,

Steve

rebbi

« Reply #17 on: 1 Nov 2020, 03:50 pm »
Steve,  Your reviews are not only enjoyable to read but also gave me the confidence I needed to audition the Spatial M3TM.  Very glad I did.  Tone, soundstage, and imaging are the key reasons why I kept them as they are my priority attributes.  I traded them in on the M3S because quite frankly, I trusted what Clayton said about the improvements.  And now that I have had the M3S for a year I most certainly still trust Clayton.  My focus has switched to the rest of the chain in my reference system.

Thanks for the kind words, that makes me feel great.

Best Regards,

Steve

Jean-Paul

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2020, 03:20 am »
Clayton, could you please send Steve a review sample of one of your "X" models so he can make a comparison with the "S" series? There! That should do the trick!

Oh, and Steve, could you tell me if the 3S fully maintains the remarkable immediacy and tangibility of the previous compression-driver SA's? I ask this because, despite the tendency of many reviewers to embrace every single aspect of newer designs, I often find the improvement to be a mixed bag. What generally happens is that the previous model starts to get criticisms in one area or another ("it's a bit lacking in body"; "it's a bit hot in the highs", etc), the designer then works on improving these aspects, and comes up with a new model. And lo and behold! It IS better in those areas which were criticized. But once the dust settles and the immediate cries of ecstacy from the Critical Fraternity die down some listeners start to miss certain things that the old model did in spades. I utterly adore the good things in my M4 TurboS; I just wonder if they're all still there to the same extent in the newer, considerably more expensive, models.