Bryston SP4

brucek

Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #140 on: 18 Sep 2018, 08:20 pm »
Thats why I prefer an SP3. But, if you are into object based sound that does not mimic real life experiences, get an SP4 to get those object based codecs.  :lol:  At least Bryston has everyone covered.  8)

Certainly if you read the description of the SP3 and SP4, it's fairly clear that the SP3 is a Surround Processor / Preamplifier and the SP4 is a Home Theater Processor along with its object based codecs. When I saw its release I was surprised, given Bryston's penchant for acronyms, they might have given it a name such as the SPT (with the T for theater). The SP4 moniker almost made it seem like an upgrade for audiophiles that had the SP3, so in that regard I agree with Rod_S. I think perhaps Bryston should have started a new path and a new acronym for the SP4, but what do I know?

brucek

gbaby

« Reply #141 on: 18 Sep 2018, 10:02 pm »
Certainly if you read the description of the SP3 and SP4, it's fairly clear that the SP3 is a Surround Processor / Preamplifier and the SP4 is a Home Theater Processor along with its object based codecs. When I saw its release I was surprised, given Bryston's penchant for acronyms, they might have given it a name such as the SPT (with the T for theater). The SP4 moniker almost made it seem like an upgrade for audiophiles that had the SP3, so in that regard I agree with Rod_S. I think perhaps Bryston should have started a new path and a new acronym for the SP4, but what do I know?

brucek

I think the only reason Bryston has the SP4 is that some folks wanted the new codecs (object based) whether they are realistic or not. And, some folks like room correction accuracy be damned. I for one do not believe a room can be equalized for every seat in the room; only the sweet spot, and then you introduce other problems.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #142 on: 19 Sep 2018, 09:21 pm »

gbaby

« Reply #143 on: 25 Sep 2018, 06:02 pm »
Good video, it explains the highlights quite well.

It's very disappointing though that the unit is locked at a paltry 48kHz, this is omitted from all of the info I've seen on the unit thus far. With the max sample rate of 192kHz and DAC's capable of of the same I feel you are doing potential customers a disservice by not pointing out that the actual internal processing is really only 48kHz and the impact that has on content with greater than 48kHz resolution. Thus the following is very misleading from your brochure:

"Bryston isn’t just for audiophiles. Music and movie professionals rely on Bryston to make their masterpieces. Hear at home what the artist intended with a Bryston SP4 theater."

Rod, I have a suspicion that Bryston will in the future release a software upgrade to the SP4 allowing it to play 192/24 hi res material. I believe when the SP3 was originally released, it was limited to PCM 96/24 and later software upgraded to 192/24.
The "...Hear at home what the artist intended with a Bryston SP4 theater." is very misleading. That's where you should be pointing out for customers wanting native high resolution they need to look to your SP3 platform.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #144 on: 25 Sep 2018, 06:24 pm »
Hi Folks,

Most movies are done at 48K currently but our intention is to offer optional plug in modules for the SP4 going forward for higher bitrates and analog passthrough.

Currently the SP4 is a state of the art movie processor and offers many more features than the SP-3 so it is a different target market currently.

james

dminches

« Reply #145 on: 25 Sep 2018, 10:41 pm »
I think the only reason Bryston has the SP4 is that some folks wanted the new codecs (object based) whether they are realistic or not. And, some folks like room correction accuracy be damned. I for one do not believe a room can be equalized for every seat in the room; only the sweet spot, and then you introduce other problems.

I think most acoustic engineers would strongly disagree with you.  Most of the measurements taken in my room were not from the sweet spot.

gbaby

« Reply #146 on: 26 Sep 2018, 02:18 pm »
I think most acoustic engineers would strongly disagree with you.

Especially the engineers who are promoting room correction. Sorry, but I like my music unadulterated and I'd rather rather rely on acoustic treatment and speaker placement. In the '70s, I experimented with all kinds of parametric equalizers and the like, and the music always sounded better when I bypassed the equalizer. I agree with James Tanner on this subject.

dminches

« Reply #147 on: 26 Sep 2018, 04:45 pm »
Especially the engineers who are promoting room correction. Sorry, but I like my music unadulterated and I'd rather rather rely on acoustic treatment and speaker placement. In the '70s, I experimented with all kinds of parametric equalizers and the like, and the music always sounded better when I bypassed the equalizer. I agree with James Tanner on this subject.

I am not talking about equalization.  I am talking about room treatments.  I listen to 95% analog so clearly I don't use room correction.

Rod_S

« Reply #148 on: 26 Sep 2018, 04:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

Most movies are done at 48K currently but our intention is to offer optional plug in modules for the SP4 going forward for higher bitrates and analog passthrough.

Currently the SP4 is a state of the art movie processor and offers many more features than the SP-3 so it is a different target market currently.

james

The plug in modules will be good to give people better overall resolution out of the unit (ideally up to 192kHz but 96kHz minimum) however I suspect these will be limited to stereo correct? Not act as an upgrade to the overall underlying architecture where you would then be able to input high res multi-channel content and maintain the higher resolution throughout any desired matrix processing or Dirac Live EQ?

gbaby

« Reply #149 on: 26 Sep 2018, 06:19 pm »
I am not talking about equalization.  I am talking about room treatments.  I listen to 95% analog so clearly I don't use room correction.

Sorry. You and I are allies and on the same page.  8) :oops:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #150 on: 30 Sep 2018, 05:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just an update:

We have a review on the Bryston SP-4 Processor coming very soon from Secrets of Home Theater.

Which will be followed by a review in Widescreen Review Magazine.

Rod_S

« Reply #151 on: 1 Oct 2018, 11:36 am »

Sorry, I didn't see this as it appears your comment was included within my quote above.

It looks like your comment was:

"Rod, I have a suspicion that Bryston will in the future release a software upgrade to the SP4 allowing it to play 192/24 hi res material. I believe when the SP3 was originally released, it was limited to PCM 96/24 and later software upgraded to 192/24."

We'll certainly get that via an add on module as James has indicated (not sure about 192/24 but I certainly expect 96/24) however I suspect that will be limited to 2 channel only and possibly Dirac wouldn't even be able to be applied. I'm not sure how much actual above 96/24 multi-channel content is out there so that may be a moot point but there is certainly plenty of 96/24 multi-channel content.

I'm not sure this could be done via firmware though. I suspect it's a hardware limitation, perhaps Bryston could chime in on if it's possible to do via firmware or would require more DSP horsepower.

I know 96/24 with Dirac and Atmos/dts:X/Auro can certainly be done via DSP's as that's what the Theta and Datasat units run at but I'm not sure about 192/24 as only the Trinnov Altitude32 (and not the Altitude16) can do that but it's not DSP based, it's an Intel Pentium i7 (the Altitude16 is an i5 I believe). I asked Emotiva what their new unit will run at internally but they wouldn't disclose that until the unit is released. Since it's also a Dirac unit it will be a valid comparison to determine if Storm/Bryston are behind the 8 ball on the technology/infrastructure side or if say the Emotiva ends up only running at 48/24 then it may just be a design choice/cost saving decision.

The SP4 is considerably cheaper than the Trinnov Altitude and Theta Casablanca but I believe very in-line with the Datasat LS10. It'll probably be more expensive than the Emotiva  RMC-1 based on Emotiva's pricing models.

gbaby

« Reply #152 on: 1 Oct 2018, 03:22 pm »
Thanks Rod. You are correct. My error.  :duh:

gbaby

« Reply #153 on: 8 Oct 2018, 12:27 am »
The leap from PCM to MQA is substantial.

The leap from "surround sound" to "immersive sound" is staggering.

I think the SP4 is going to stun the current SP3 users, even without MQA.

Withdoctor, you own no Bryston gear. Please take your cheerleading for MQA elsewhere. In addition the SP3 and the SP4 are marketed to two different customer bases. Buy some Bryston gear and then you will understand the audio philosophy of Bryson and its customer base.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #154 on: 9 Oct 2018, 07:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

The review on the Bryston SP-4 processor will be out very soon from Secrets of Home Theater.

Sneak Peek:

Conclusion:

The Bryston SP4 made my system sound truly spectacular!

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

« Reply #156 on: 25 Oct 2018, 03:37 pm »
From the review:

I tried all three immersive upmixers on “West Side Story Reimagined” and other 2-channel music. I always preferred Auro-Matic.

Auromatic is da bomb. Set it and forget it IMO. Auromatic let's you tailor it for the size of your room and how much you want to engage the height speakers. Atmos and DTS-X don't.
I find this preferable on both music and movies.
To add speakers (like the new active mini A) for height channels in an auro 3d layout just mount them above the front L-R and the rear surrounds. No carving holes in your ceiling.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #157 on: 31 Oct 2018, 07:33 am »

witchdoctor

« Reply #158 on: 31 Oct 2018, 02:53 pm »
Whether you use an Atmos layout or an Auro 3D layout I recommend having a two center channels, one above the screen and one below the screen. It really makes a difference in both movies and music. Before I added one I felt it was fine the way it was with a single center channel below the screen. After adding one the vocals just sound more "immersive" and I'm glad I added the second one up top. Auro calls this a "height center". You may as well use the added channels provided by the SP4:

https://www.dvdfr.com/images/anecdotic/_news/2016/auro_13_1.jpg

witchdoctor

« Reply #159 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:40 pm »
Do any SP4 owners want to share a review? What speaker configuration are you using? How does it compare to other processors you have used or auditioned?

Did Widescreen publish the SP4 review yet?