bi-wire ref8?

rme

bi-wire ref8?
« on: 12 Sep 2005, 11:00 pm »
I have kef reference one speakers which have the ability to bi-wire them.  I will be demoing the ref8's and am wondering if there is any value in bi-wiring them given that there is only one terminal output.   I have seen 2 articles, one from monster cable suggesting bi-wire where ever possible and one from another cable company (I forget who) that says it's a waste of money.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? I don't want to buy extra cable for the demo if it really won't improve the quality.

Thanks in advance for your help.

KJ

bi-wire ref8?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2005, 11:09 pm »
Welcome to AC rme!

If you search for bi-wiring on this forum, you will find a lot of posts on it.  I think some people will argue there is minimal value in biwiring, if any.  I'm sure Monster Cable would love nothing more than to have you purchase more of their gear.  However, I personally don't believe you will hear much of a difference.  YMMV.

Bi-amping, however, is a whole different ball game.  :wink:

-KJ

KJ

bi-wire ref8?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2005, 11:14 pm »
rme,

Here's a good thread to read through on biwiring.

-KJ

bhobba

bi-wire ref8?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2005, 01:17 am »
Quote from: KJ
Bi-amping, however, is a whole different ball game.  :wink:

I am looking at putting together a system with a DEQX using 3 Nuforce amps each side.   The thing of course is the cost.  Have you found any actual audible benefits to tramping or even biamping using the Nuforce?  I trued biamping a pair of Axis LS88's and it made a huge difference.  That may be the speaker though - they go down to 2 ohms at crossover.  

Thanks
Bill

KJ

bi-wire ref8?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2005, 02:34 am »
I haven't had an opportunity to bi-amp with the Nuforce amps quite yet.  In order to help meet customer demand, we have deferred the arrival of our additional showroom units until late October.  I'll make a point of comparing them when we receive the new supply.

-KJ

rme

bi-wire ref8?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2005, 04:41 am »
Quote from: KJ
Here's a good thread to read through on biwiring.

-KJ

Thanks for the feedback, it seems I'm better served using that money on a good bottle of wine which, based on my double blind testing, will definately improve the experience.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
bi-wire ref8?
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2005, 08:22 am »
Agree. We don't think bi-wiring is necessary with NuForce amp.

If you're bi-amping or tri-amping, you can reduce cost by
1) using the soon to be released integrated amp (it has a pre-out designed specically for bi-amping) with a pair of Re8 or Ref 9 for bi-amping
2) if you purchase 5 or more amps, you get 15% discount on all of them (provided that you complete the purchase within 6 months)
3) if you are using Ref 8/9 on the driver and need a low power amp for tweeter for bi or tri-amping, you can request to have 70W Ref 8 at a lower price (bundle pricing still counts). Note that we try to accommodate on a case by case basis.

rme

bi-wire ref8?
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2005, 10:41 am »
Jason,

What are the specs on the integrated amp?