Bohemian Rhapsody

wushuliu

Bohemian Rhapsody
« on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:40 am »
I had low expectations for this, especially with the lakcluster trailer that made this look like a by-the-book biopic. And in a way it is: it's a straightforward chronological look at the band's history, with the focus on Freddie Mercury, with all the expected dramatic hills and valleys.

But the acting is amazing. Rami Malek anchors the entire movie as Freddie. Just an incredible performance. Oscar nom for sure. Somehow they were also able to cast people who look and act EXACTLY like the real life band. The actor playing Brian May IS Brian May. Same with Deacon. The banter and comraderie comes across as authentic, no doubt thanks to the participation of May and Taylor who are Executive Producers on the film.

Then there's the music. Thankfully this isn't a revue, with a song every ten minutes. It's a full on drama, but when the music kicks in you can't help but be moved

This movie is highly recommended for any Queen fan.

stlrman

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2018, 01:30 am »
Thanks for that awesome review!! I have this on my rental list for sure.

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2018, 01:37 am »
Thanks for that awesome review!! I have this on my rental list for sure.

Thanks. I can't believe no one else has commented!

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2018, 06:33 am »
This circle just seems dead anymore. No idea where everyone went, but used to be some really good and active discussions here.

I liked Bohemian Rhapsody, but didn't love it. Rami Malek is obviously a top notch actor and he brought Freddie to life on the big screen, particularly his body movements. My main criticism of it was that the the mood they were portraying in a given scene too often didn't match up with how I was feeling as a viewer. It was a very jagged narrative flow, and often I felt there was a disconnect. It was more like walking in on each scene as opposed to being taken along for the ride. Not a huge deal, though, but as a Queen fan since childhood I wanted to connect with it a bit more than I did.

Overall a very solid, entertaining film.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2018, 04:54 am »
I might see it if it's still there when I have an afternoon off.  I'm finally getting settled in after my move.