Vandersteen 2Ce in the house — one woofer “rattles”??

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
....driven by Cherry MEGA MK2 Stereo Amplifier and 130dB+ Cherry DAC DAC 2HS !!

Just getting started, but these sound really nice.  More to follow....
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2020, 03:17 am by AmpDesigner333 »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Vandersteen 2Ce in the house 😎
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2020, 12:40 am »
....by the way, these speakers require bi-wire, or a workaround, and bananas are necessary due to the connector type, although that’s what I like to use anyway.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2020, 12:51 am »
What's with the banana inputs on them? I thought all Vandersteens shipped with barrier strips.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2020, 02:01 am »
I see Dynaudio Sapphires along with the Vandies
Are the Maggie’s 1.6 or 1.7s?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2020, 02:09 am »
Are the Maggie’s 1.6 or 1.7s?

1.7i

Audiofreak71

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2020, 07:42 am »
Congratulations on the vandys. Do you have the bases for them? It’s very important you get the tilt correct in relation to your seating position. They also need very little toe in. You can go on vandersteens website go under 2ce signatures and you can find the chart that will show you how to set them up correctly. Yours may be older but will still apply to yours. I’ve owned the 2ce signature ii’s and now own 3a Signatures , vandys are excellent speakers and even better when setup correctly. One more thing , the more clean watts you give them the better they respond, they love power .

Audiofreak71

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Vandersteen 2Ce in the house — one woofer “rattles”??
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2020, 03:17 am »
Unfortunately, one of the woofers seems to have an issue....

It’s only noticeable when loud and when there’s lots of bass.

Anyone out there ever fix one of these?

Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2020, 03:20 am »
Congratulations on the vandys. Do you have the bases for them? It’s very important you get the tilt correct in relation to your seating position. They also need very little toe in. You can go on vandersteens website go under 2ce signatures and you can find the chart that will show you how to set them up correctly. Yours may be older but will still apply to yours. I’ve owned the 2ce signature ii’s and now own 3a Signatures , vandys are excellent speakers and even better when setup correctly. One more thing , the more clean watts you give them the better they respond, they love power .

Audiofreak71

Thanks for the feedback.  I’m really enjoying them, despite a small issue (see above).  Lots of power to drive them here (Cherry MEGA MK2 Stereo currently).

Strangely, mine say just “2” on the back (see photo above), not 2Ce, but the boxes say 2Ce and so does the manual....

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2020, 05:51 am »
Unfortunately, one of the woofers seems to have an issue....

It’s only noticeable when loud and when there’s lots of bass.

Is it a rattle or a broken connection? One of the leads from the woofer coil to the post may have an intermittent break which can sound like a rattle when it cuts out. One way to tell is to use a continuity tester and manually move the cone. If the tone stops and starts then you will have to find the break because it will only get worse. Depending on the location the break may be repairable with MG Chemicals 8331 Silver Conductive Epoxy Adhesive. Usually the death rattle means you need a replacement woofer.

Or it could be loose screws somewhere.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2020, 06:50 am »
Is it a rattle or a broken connection? One of the leads from the woofer coil to the post may have an intermittent break which can sound like a rattle when it cuts out. One way to tell is to use a continuity tester and manually move the cone. If the tone stops and starts then you will have to find the break because it will only get worse. Depending on the location the break may be repairable with MG Chemicals 8331 Silver Conductive Epoxy Adhesive. Usually the death rattle means you need a replacement woofer.

Or it could be loose screws somewhere.
Thanks for the info. I’ll probably solder the voice coil connection if it’s that. Good idea for something to check!

The real issue is getting the damn grill cloth off to take a look.  They should have made the grills removable, at least from the front!  Plus, the connector arrangement creates an additional issue with wiring, so I’m using two pairs of 8’ Cherry MEGA Snakes (9-gauge equivalent), but that’s another story.

These sound way too good for the “problem woofer” to have a rubbing coil.  Sadly, I’m all too familiar with that.  It might be a loose mounting screw like you said, or the surround might be unglued in a small area (how to fix that?).

I base this on the sound when varying the volume while playing 40 Hz and other close frequency sine wave test tones.  It’s ok until excursion gets large, which is why your coil connection theory makes the most sense so far.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2020, 01:32 pm »
Concerning the "CE" version, the version designation is in the serial number stamped on the plate. CE will follow the numbers if CE version. Prior version has C stamped at end of numbers.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2020, 01:52 pm »
... , or the surround might be unglued in a small area (how to fix that?).
Surrounds are easily repaired.  If simply loose, use a bit of rubber cement to reattach.  More likely is a rip or deterioration.  Even then, a complete replacement isn't a difficult job.  I've done it more than a few times.

DZetye

« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2020, 08:08 pm »
make sure the screws on the bases are tight underneath.  I had a pair with the same problem

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2020, 08:59 pm »
Concerning the "CE" version, the version designation is in the serial number stamped on the plate. CE will follow the numbers if CE version. Prior version has C stamped at end of numbers.
Thanks very much for that information!  Yes, it has “Ce” after the serial number.  Whew!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 7 Aug 2020, 09:01 pm »
make sure the screws on the bases are tight underneath.  I had a pair with the same problem
The stand or the bottom “plate”?

DZetye

« Reply #15 on: 7 Aug 2020, 09:07 pm »
both

circleman

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2020, 01:06 pm »
My guess would be surrounds separating but it could be something else.  Couple links below.  I think I would want to inspect them and if they need repair send the drivers to Vandersteen to do it.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/vandersteen-2ce-mid-driver-problem.179759/

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/289655-woofer-surround-repair.html

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:30 pm »
Tommy,

Pull both woofers and send them up State to Mr. Bill LeGall and get them done better than new. He Da Master !

PS; Still hunting for my Multimeter ......

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2020, 02:25 pm »
Tommy,

Pull both woofers and send them up State to Mr. Bill LeGall and get them done better than new. He Da Master !

PS; Still hunting for my Multimeter ......
Is this his website?
http://www.millersound.net/

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2020, 08:25 pm »
Tommy,

Yes you have it correct. He will make sure everything is good to go thru an thru.

Doug