burned voice coils

blueaudiodon

burned voice coils
« on: 10 Mar 2009, 06:02 pm »
I just bought an used pair of jr's and it appears to have 2 bass drivers in one cabinet with burned voice calls.  Anybody know where to get new drivers or voice coils repaired? 

Thanks,
Donnie

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: burned voice coils
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2009, 07:39 pm »
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

McTwins

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2009, 08:37 pm »
How did that happend? :scratch:

blueaudiodon

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2009, 10:04 pm »
Yes, I emailed VSA today.  No idea what happened.  Brought them home, hooked them up and played an album and then put on Holly Cole and discovered a lot of rattle in one of the cabinets.

McTwins

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:30 pm »
Do you know what amp the previous owner had?

He must pushed them very hard. I mean, didn't he told it to you that there was somthing wrong.

Thanks

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2009, 05:08 pm »
Yes, I emailed VSA today.  No idea what happened.  Brought them home, hooked them up and played an album and then put on Holly Cole and discovered a lot of rattle in one of the cabinets.

Holly Cole?  Well that explains it  :dance:  :wink:

blueaudiodon

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2009, 05:19 pm »
I don't know what he was using.  The thing is, I listened to a couple cuts from a Patricia Barber cd and sounded great.  He did have a Velodyne sub hooked up and I questioned him why.  He said it was low passed at 50hz and barely turned up.  I can play 90% material and not hear the noise.  I can run a tone on it and it goes crazy around 60hz.  And Holly Coles Double bass drives it nuts.

McTwins

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2009, 05:29 pm »
Ok I see

What amp do you use and how is it connected?
Maybe its a room mode issue?

blueaudiodon

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2009, 05:42 pm »
I am bi-amping with 4 100w mono amps.  However, i have tried an 845 triode with single wire (sounded horrible).  I am sure it is voice coils because of the terrible scraping noise when I manually push the cone in and out on these 2 specific drivers.  The other 2 are smooth and quiet.  Am I thinking wrong?

McTwins

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2009, 05:56 pm »
You are not thinking wrong :wink:

If you say that it is a scraping noisy sound then there is something broken.
Your former owner must done something terrible with it, or connected it in a wrong manner.

What brands of amps?

blueaudiodon

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:04 pm »
The 845 is Dared VP-845 intergrated and the four monos are connected to a Kenwood KM-X1 THX 6 channel amp with Audible Illusions pre.

McTwins

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:17 pm »
Sorry, dont understand.

So you mean that the four monos amp are connected via your Kenwood amp. :scratch:

I understand about the Dared.

blueaudiodon

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:31 pm »
My bad... the 4 monos are 4 mono channels of the six in the Kenwood.  They sound very good for an old and non expensive amp.  These speakers sound so great on 90% of the material(maybe 99%) that I hate to give them back.  If I could just find the replacement drivers.  I talked to VSA yesterday and they do not have mk1's in stock.  However they have MK2.  Could I replace all 4 drivers with mk2 and be ok or is there a different xover?

McTwins

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:38 pm »
OK, now its better.
But what are you doing with the other two posts?

Couldn't the VSA answer the question for you.

blueaudiodon

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:43 pm »
The other 2 posts are left unused.  I have tried to contact VSA again today, but no answer.  I will try again and question about the difference.

McTwins

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:48 pm »
They can answer the question for you :thumb:
Can you run the amp in that way, just curious.

blueaudiodon

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:59 pm »
Yes,  it is nothing more than six individual amps in one case.  I have run these amps like this for a number of years, off and on, and they keep on singing.  I have just talked to VSA again and Joe says that the mk2 is different xover and silver in color.  He is still trying to locate me some mk1's at a warehouse.

McTwins

« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2009, 07:04 pm »
Understand :thumb:
Hope they find new drivers for you.

blueaudiodon

« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2009, 07:18 pm »
Thank you!!!

kgturner

« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2009, 08:16 pm »
call me paranoid, but i think the guy who sold you the speakers probably knew there was any issue and that's why he had them low-passed to the velodyne. this is part of the reason why i always demo speakers full range and insist that all subs in the room are disconnected. hopefully joe can help you out, otherwise it might be kinda costly for a new set of mkII crossovers and 4 new bass drivers.

kevin t