Audio-Technica

mca

Audio-Technica
« on: 2 Jul 2005, 03:15 pm »
Has anyone heard the Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 phones that Srajan raved so much about?

I am looking into my first headphone system and it sound like these with the MiniMax CD make a great combo.

ooheadsoo

Audio-Technica
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2005, 05:00 pm »
I've heard their top of the line model L3000 ($2400) and wasn't impressed at all.  I think the source was a meridian of some sort being driven by a singlepower supra.  It was probably one of the only phones I actually didn't like at the headphone meet.  Flat soundstage, peculiarly unengaging and lacked transparency.  Ok, I know all those AT fans are coming to kill me, now.

What kind of sound are you looking for?

mca

Audio-Technica
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2005, 05:09 pm »
Looking for something very warm and relaxing. I'd like to be able to pop in any old CD and just be able to enjoy it without any listener fatigue. Is there such a thing in the headphone world?

randytsuch

Audio-Technica
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2005, 08:07 pm »
Are you busy July 30?
I would make time for this.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119725

I am pretty sure they have one of the high end AT cans.  There are other threads for meets that have already occurred back east, you can find those and read about what kind of stuff they will have.

I have been trying to buy a pair of used w100's, but I am never fast enough when they go up for sale for a good price.

Randy

Jon L

Audio-Technica
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2005, 09:02 pm »
Quote from: randytsuch
Are you busy July 30?

I am pretty sure they have one of the high end AT cans.  There are other threads for meets that have already occurred back east, you can find those and read about what kind of stuff they will have.

I have been trying to buy a pair of used w100's, but I am never fast enough when they go up for sale for a good price.

Randy

Is headroom tour coming to So. Cal at all??

mca

Audio-Technica
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2005, 11:42 pm »
Sounds like it would be a good place to try out some goodies  :D

Obie

Audio-Technica
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2005, 12:07 am »
I had exactly your thoughts about a first headphone system and bought both the cans and player last November.  The AT's are great headphones that I've used in the studio as well-- finding them compelling and accurate.  The player  is all that you've heard about, and the headphone output seems great, although I've never A-B'ed with another amp.

Although I've been very pleased with both, I struggle to enjoy headphone listening as much as listening to my main rig.  I keep waffling about whether or not to sell them both to someone who is really looking to listen with headphones more than I do.

I really encourage you to listen to them together when you get the chance-- it really was a great, easy way to get a good headphone rig.

Best,
Kj

Loftprojection

Audio-Technica
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2005, 01:38 am »
Kj, have you ever compared the W1000 with other headphones?  I'm also tempted to order them after reading the 6moons review but like you I find it difficult to enjoy headphones as much as speaker rigs.  I thought it was because I have old Beyerdynamic DT511 and new good headphones would do the trick but now you bring doubts in my mind...  

Quote from: Obie
I had exactly your thoughts about a first headphone system and bought both the cans and player last November.  The AT's are great headphones that I've used in the studio as well-- finding them compelling and accurate.  The player  is all that you've heard about, and the headphone output seems great, although I've never A-B'ed with another amp.

Although I've been very pleased with both, I struggle to enjoy headphone listening as much as listening to my main rig.  I keep waffling about whether or not to se ...

randytsuch

Audio-Technica
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2005, 02:40 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Quote from: randytsuch
Are you busy July 30?

Randy

Yes, I saw a thread at head fi about a so cal stop.  I think it is sometime around the end of July too.

Randy

Obie

Audio-Technica
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2005, 04:27 am »
Loftprojection-

I wasn't able to demo the ATH's directly against other 'phones, but I've spent time with Senn. HD600, HD650, and several Grados.  I like the ATH's more than any for engagement, detail, and tambour.  They probably aren't the end-all of bass, but I really love their strengths enough to overlook that possible defecit.  

I find that I'd probably keep the cans to use in other applications (studio, composition, etc).  I'm tempted to try the Naim heaphone amp before giving up on cans for home listening permanently.

Best,
Kj

ooheadsoo

Audio-Technica
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2005, 10:55 am »
Quote from: Jon L

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123586

That should help.  headroom should be there.

Loftprojection

Audio-Technica
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2005, 12:51 pm »
Very good feedback Kj.  I also compared my old Beyers to Senn 600, Grado 325 and Beyer 880 and was not that impressed.  They were all nicer but not enough to justify changing my old ones.  I think I'm gonna open up my wallet and try out the w1000, too bad I can't listen to them before buying.  Like you I'll probably always return to the main rig but I find that headphones are still convenient when it's impossible to listen to speakers because of external factors.  

By the way, if I was you I'd try a good tube amp or try other tubes in your Minimax instead of a Naim amp.  The 6moon review was saying the w1000 did not benefit from adding a tube amp unlike the HD600.  However, he did not try out different tubes both in the amp or the Minimax.  Personnally I found that tube amps are a really good match for headphones, it might be because headphones are so revealing.  I have a Jasmine and I tried an ASL at a shop compared to 2-3 SS amps and the sound from a tube amp was more enjoyable in all the different headphones I tried, never tried a Naim though!  

Thanks again for your comments on the W1000.

Quote from: Obie
Loftprojection-

I wasn't able to demo the ATH's directly against other 'phones, but I've spent time with Senn. HD600, HD650, and several Grados.  I like the ATH's more than any for engagement, detail, and tambour.  They probably aren't the end-all of bass, but I really love their strengths enough to overlook that possible defecit.  

I find that I'd probably keep the cans to use in other applications (studio, composition, etc).  I'm tempted to try the Naim heaphone amp before giving up on cans for home listening permanently.

Best,
Kj

ooheadsoo

Audio-Technica
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2005, 06:45 pm »
For the sound goal you are describing...I just don't think an AT phone will hack it IMHO.  I heard the L3000 side by side with all the other standard headphones (owning the senn 580 and 600 myself, the beyer 880, a couple stax, the sony r10 -another $4000 phone, cd3000, grado 225, ps1, and hp1, you name it, and the ATs were the dogs - except perhaps for the ultrasones.  The amp and source were both $$$$ for all the equipment involved.  Since AT has to be imported to the US, I would highly recommend you either visiting a head-fi meet or trying out a sennheiser with an easy return policy first before seeking out an AT.

They do look fantastic.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Audio-Technica
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2005, 06:59 pm »
When the review came out on the MiniMax and the AT W-1000 phones I had to check it out myself.
 Please take this into consideration as I hadn't listened to headphones for 25 years.Picked up the AT's from Audiocubes as Srajan suggested.
 Absolutely stunning! IMHO
After matching the volume of my main rig Tannoy Churchills and EE gear and adjusting the volume of the phones to match as close as possible, it floored me just how good the sound was. For a 20th of the cost, High end doesn't get much better then this combo. I'm not sure if going thru the tube output of our cd player or the w-1000 cans made this combination a oral delight or what but it has changed my very late night listening routine.
   Folks have had great success with the player and the Sennheiser line, either 580,600, or 650's also.

Later,
 Bill

elnero

Audio-Technica
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2005, 07:30 pm »
I've owned both the W100's and W1000's and had a couple of weeks with another pair of W1000's recently. The W100's are one of my favorite headphones and I kick myself to this day for letting them go but the W1000's just didn't do it for me when I owned them and even less so when I tried them again with my MiniMax.

The W100's have warmer more relaxed, natural, very involving sound that can be just a tad too forward in the mids at times while the W1000's I found a bit too sterile for my tastes, a bit bright and lacking a bit in the bottom end.

note: If you do decide to look into the W100 be aware that there are supposedly two flavors, one warmer and one on the brighter side and it's just a crapshoot which you might get.

slwiser

ATH-W1000s
« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:42 pm »
The ATH-W1000 sound is very sweat and natural to me.  I love that smooth sound and quite sound between the notes.  I also have the DT880s with Cardas cables.  I go between these two often and always come back to the W1000 with a little awe at how it emotionally hits me.  The DT880s are analytical while the W1000s are emotional.