Beyerdynamics Headphone - Discussion

adydula

• Restricted
Beyerdynamics Headphone - Discussion
« on: 29 May 2019, 09:15 pm »
Ok this was the third request for a Discussion thread from timidn.

This is a place where you can opine on your love for Beyerdynamic headphones. I hope you will share your positive experiences as well as what you might not like or want to see changed or improved. This is not a discussion to bad mouth or beat a "dead horse to death" again.....all brands have positives and negatives so lets have a postive discussion about your Beyer experience.

Again to start it off...I have bought several Beyerdynamic headphones over the years to include the DT1350's, T90's and T1R2's. I still have them all. Unlike many others that I have purhased and sold. I seem to prefer the Beyer house sound, but recently I have strayed....(another topic).  :D

I have had my DT1350's for over 4 years and use them daily, I was always surprised at the overall crisp listening experience these small portable headphones are capable of. Well built, wonderful punchy tight base....but their worts IMO are the fit on your ears, getting it right for a good response, and overall comfort.

I know there are several others that have Beyers and please share your experience, its ok to compare to other headphones good or bad, lets not get carried away on beating up one vs the other....

:D

Alex

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Beyerdynamics Headphone Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 09:21 pm »
 I have a pair of T1 r1s that I damaged the drivers on doing a cable change (careful with that soldering gun!), and so they became T1 r2s when I bought some replacement drivers from Beyer.  Love the sound of both versions.  I think the T1's might be the one bit of audio gear I've owned the longest.  They do everything very, very well, no weaknesses at all.  Most importantly (to me), is they have a very nice, musical tonal balance.  I can listen to them all day and all night with no fatigue. 

I've owned and/or demo'd a ton of high end headphones and I always come back to the T1.  It just fits my needs/desires perfectly.

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Beyerdynamics Headphone Discussion
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2019, 09:24 pm »
Tyson,

Thats a neat upgrade story!

What amplifier do you use with your T1's?

So you find that they sound better or different on differing pieces of gear or is it all good?

Alex

toocool4

Re: Beyerdynamics Headphone - Discussion
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2019, 09:38 pm »
I have a heavily modified T70 that sounds amazing and when one of the guys on the development team of the T70 heard it, he said this is what we should have designed in the first place.

The T1 all variants sounds amazing, very revealing and detailed but still forgiving of not so good recordings.

I heard so many good things about the DT1350 and wanted to try it for a very long time. I got to listen to it once at a CanJam, wow what a disappointment. To my ears what a pile of crap, I don’t know what everybody was talking about? maybe my standards are just higher.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2019, 09:50 pm »
I have a heavily modified T70 that sounds amazing and when one of the guys on the development team of the T70 heard it, he said this is what we should have designed in the first place.

The T1 all variants sounds amazing, very revealing and detailed but still forgiving of not so good recordings.

I heard so many good things about the DT1350 and wanted to try it for a very long time. I got to listen to it once at a CanJam, wow what a disappointment. To my ears what a pile of crap, I don’t know what everybody was talking about? maybe my standards are just higher.

I own the 1350s as well as the T1....I mean, 1350s were mean for portability but the size of the band it has a clamping force that gives me physical headache after 3-40 minutes.  If you attempt to bend it out....still the pressure points remain next to the pivot.  Not designed for large headed people like me.  The sound is fine...albeit bright.  The T1 is an entirely different beast. 

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2019, 09:54 pm »
The T1 is an entirely different beast.

I am not comparing the DT1350 to the T1. I am just saying people rave on about the DT1350 but when I heard it, it sounded like crap to my ears.

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2019, 09:58 pm »
I purchased Custom Studios a couple years ago and I have only listened through them a couple of times. I bought them because my Sony headphones disappeared (somebody took 'em).

They were approx. $400 CDN, I didn't want to spend

more. Comparing to other brands at the store, on careful listen these seemed to have the clarity I wanted, though the differences are subtle. It has a switch to adjust the sound to 1 of 3 setting.

I plug them into mixer. Don't know if I need a headphone amp, they sound okay. Mainly listen through loudspeakers which is why I haven't used them more.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2019, 10:05 pm »
Tyson,

Thats a neat upgrade story!

What amplifier do you use with your T1's?

So you find that they sound better or different on differing pieces of gear or is it all good?

Alex

For movies I run them out of the headphone jack of my iDSD Pro DAC/Amp, which does a MUCH better job driving headphones after I kicked the crappy stock SMPS power supply to the curb and got an R-Core based linear power supply for it.  For music I have a custom tubed headphone amp built for them.  It uses a 6SN7 input tube and 6BL7 output tubes, Lundahl transformers throughout.  That thing is a beast.  I use it as a preamp in my main speaker system too. 

True story:  I changed out the stock cable with a Furutech cable that's 25 feet long.  Why 25 feet?  Because that's exactly long enough to reach the toilet at the back fo my HT room.  :lol:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2019, 10:14 pm »
Tyson!!

OMG...thats really funny!!

I "can" almost visulize that 25 ft reach!!

toocool:

Sorry they sounded like crap to you, gosh I think my DT 1350 are superlative all around except for the clamping force, small cup size amd critical placement.
Wondering if anything else was going on there when you listened to them?

There are so many positive reports on these including Tyll at Innerfidelity, one of the things that prodded me to buy them in the first place.

...and thanks folks for sharing and making this discussion come alive.

Alex

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2019, 10:21 pm »
True story:  I changed out the stock cable with a Furutech cable that's 25 feet long.  Why 25 feet?  Because that's exactly long enough to reach the toilet at the back fo my HT room.  :lol:

That is mental  :lol:

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2019, 10:26 pm »
adydula I respect Tyil’s opinion but he and I have different tastes, he likes darker sounding headphones and I like more sparkle up top.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2019, 10:30 pm »
Yup, I agree there we all have listening preferences.

If you like the sparkle on top, which headphones do you prefer or like?

Be interesting to find out.....are your T70's the only Beyers you have?
Would you share your mod on these ?

I just added a Focal discussion and was thinking of a Grado Discussion next as well...talk about sparkle on top!

Alex

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2019, 10:39 pm »
adydula just replied to your Focal thread.

I don't like the sound of Grado they are terrible, well there is only one Grado that sounds good to me and that is because it does not sound like a Grado. The PS500 is the only Grado i could put up with, i think it's a Grado designed for none Grado fans.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2019, 10:50 pm »
Like I said we all have different tastes and listening preferences for sure.

I am upstairs on my main listening system and am listening to my DT 1350's...some Tommy Emmanual guitar stuf..and the sound is superb here.

I am using a newly built OPA 1622 amp designed by a friend in France.

They sound pretty nice to me on low gain settings....but again YMMV.

The only thing IMO is the soundstage is not as good as other full sized or over the ear headphones...

Alex

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2019, 12:50 am »
I used headphones for serious listening in the early to mid 80s, with speakers being secondary. I had more freedom of speaker use during the 90s up until a few years ago when health issues affected my wife. For the last 6-7 years I've been using headphones for a lot of late night listening. As I was using mainly an ipod for source I was using IEMs. Then five years ago I built a Bottlehead Crack and started using Senn HD650s.

I loved those Senns for two solid years when a member on AudioCircle lent me a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s. Those T1s blew me away with what they did; so much music there I hadn't been hearing. Well they were good, but honestly, they had too much detail for me. After a couple weeks I returned them and went back to the 650s. I started doing some research on Beyer and decided to try a pair of 250 ohm DT-990 premiums. It was love at first listen, but I knew from my experience with the T1s I needed to give it time. Well the DT-990s just grew and grew and grew on me.

I must stress I am not using the Pro version as I tried a pair and found them too bright. It's been a good 3 years now and I have no desire to change from the 990s. They have the exact tonal balance I seek in speakers.

Although I had no complaint with the amp, I no longer use a Crack. My headphone setup consists of a 5th gen ipod with 512gb of memory, loaded with AIFFs, sitting in a dock feeding a Nuforce HDP amp with the DT-990s. It's a perfect bedside system for me. Not planning any upgrades.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2019, 12:57 am »
timind.

What a nice story, thanks!

I have never heard the 990's but i sure would like to!!

Even though I have the T1's and others I still enjoy just rotating thru them all and rotating thru the amps I have.

Getting ready here to possibly do another Class A amp....if I can get the pc boards!!

:>)

Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2019, 02:55 am »
A year and a half (or so) ago, I bought a set of Beyer Amiron Home cans after hearing them at Capital Audiofest. Although a  lifelong Sennheiser fan, I never plugged my HD650's in again after the Amirons arrived (an open-box Amazon deal and a gift card put them within reach). Most comfortable fullsize cans I've ever had on; no-nonsense design; great sound (I actually preferred them to the significantly more expensive Focal Elears I heard at the same show). Very satisfied customer..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2019, 09:14 am »
This not fair the HD650 is a senile hp from the 1990s, the Amiron are recent new technology.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2019, 11:39 am »
Aren't the Amirons the follow up for Beyers T90's?

..and if the HD650s are senile, then my 600's are its great grandfather!

Morning all!

Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2019, 01:19 pm »
The 600 was released in 1997 thats 22 years, think them Vintage.