Sentimental Speakers

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Sentimental Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2017, 12:53 am »
University 6201 coax/tri-ax? driver.   Gradually I've reconstructed most of my father's 1957-era system for nostalgic reasons, but still lack the 6201.  Eventually I got another speaker and converted his old Garrard 88 to stereo.  He gave me all of it when I was about 13, and I've been screwed hooked ever since.

Special thanks to a STL-area AC member for offering up his father's Grommes pre and amp last year for free.   Exactly what I had been looking for!  :notworthy: 

Still would like to identify and acquire the Fisher FM tuner with multiplex connector he had.  Then I'd have gone full circle to the start of the madness.

Russell Dawkins

Re: Sentimental Speakers
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2017, 01:09 am »
University 6201 coax/tri-ax? driver.   Gradually I've reconstructed most of my father's 1957-era system for nostalgic reasons, but still lack the 6201.  Eventually I got another speaker and converted his old Garrard 88 to stereo.  He gave me all of it when I was about 13, and I've been screwed hooked ever since.

Special thanks to a STL-area AC member for offering up his father's Grommes pre and amp last year for free.   Exactly what I had been looking for!  :notworthy: 

Still would like to identify and acquire the Fisher FM tuner with multiplex connector he had.  Then I'd have gone full circle to the start of the madness.

Hmmm. You're going back a little farther than I am. I recently bought, partly out of nostalgia and partly because I wanted to investigate what a very seasoned mixing engineer was recommending, a pair of Yamaha NS-1000Ms and (very important) a genuinely matching amp—the Yamaha B-2. The speakers date from 1974 and the amp 1978 or so. The B-2 is quite the piece; everyone knows about the NS-1000s.