Soon to be new Omega owner with questions...

roscoe65

Re: Soon to be new Omega owner with questions...
« Reply #60 on: 28 Apr 2020, 11:48 pm »
I agree with highly accurate and revealing.  That is why I bought mine.  I agree with the poster that a sub at 65 hz is a very good addition.
Mine was using a very inexpensive Elekit TU-873S with 7 watts to great effect.  (backed by superior phono amp and pre amp from LKV)

Is that your amp and speakers for sale over on the ‘gon?

If so you may find some people interested over here.  The price is great and if I didn’t already own a pair (narrow baffle, real ebony) I would have jumped on them.

thetakeout

« Reply #61 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:16 am »
Kray,

How is that Sayes 45 amp?  I would like to get one of those also.  I guess they sound more powerful than the Alan Eaton amps I have.  I would love to have a 45 amp battle to the death.  Or maybe just good fun hearing the two different tones!

Also what is the tale of the custom amp Oliver is building you?

How do you feel the 45 amp mates with the Omegas?  Do you have a sub with your Omegas?

Thanks!

thetakeout

« Reply #62 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:22 am »
JM

We need to find someone with the little Decware 2 watter you used to have and do a comp with the 45 amps. 

I need to get a different set of speakers up here so you can hear the 45 with different speakers.  My Zu DW's are an OK fit.  They really sound great, but they probably aren't efficient enough for the 45.  Really they can run you out of the room with volume, but I have a hunch there is a touch more the amps can put out.  I also have some of those vintage Zenith drivers I had planned to do an open baffle build with.  I need to get that done.  For one reason or another, I got discouraged and put that aside.  I guess at this point I have no excuse not to pick the project back up!  Heck, that might be as good a reason as any to get you up here after the world returns to normal. 

When you had the Harbeths in house, what amps did you have pushing them?

jmolsberg

« Reply #63 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:41 am »
I auditioned a couple different harbeth with mastersound amps. Skip @ audio thesis in Arlington is great with allowing home auditions. I am loving the 45 with my Omegas! Hopefully not long before we can return to some level of normal.

AvsFan

« Reply #64 on: 29 Apr 2020, 04:48 am »
JM

We need to find someone with the little Decware 2 watter you used to have and do a comp with the 45 amps. 

I need to get a different set of speakers up here so you can hear the 45 with different speakers.  My Zu DW's are an OK fit.  They really sound great, but they probably aren't efficient enough for the 45.  Really they can run you out of the room with volume, but I have a hunch there is a touch more the amps can put out.  I also have some of those vintage Zenith drivers I had planned to do an open baffle build with.  I need to get that done.  For one reason or another, I got discouraged and put that aside.  I guess at this point I have no excuse not to pick the project back up!  Heck, that might be as good a reason as any to get you up here after the world returns to normal. 

When you had the Harbeths in house, what amps did you have pushing them?

I too have a pair of DW's, and even though they sound good with any amp I used with them, they responded very well to good clean and higher power.
I had them hooked up to a DAC STM putting out about 125 watts per channel. They LOVED that power!

I had the Decware little 2 watter a few years ago when I had a pair of Omegas speakers. Fabulous little amp. I am in talks right now with another company on a custom version of his 5 watt per channel amp. He looked at all the specs on my Super 3 HO's and said that if he took he his Ultralinear version and wired it in triode mode with upgraded output transformers,it drops the power down to a little over 2 watts per channel but that distortion figures are lower and sound quality increases at the expense of some power. But with the Omega's should be a perfect match and plenty of power.

jmolsberg

« Reply #65 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:31 pm »
^ speaking w Andrew. He’s seems to be a good guy from the chats we’ve had.
I think his amps look great!

AvsFan

« Reply #66 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:01 pm »
^ speaking w Andrew. He’s seems to be a good guy from the chats we’ve had.
I think his amps look great!

I can't get anything by you can I? LOL
Yeah, Andrew seems like a straight shooter and no nonsense. He really went into details with me on everything. And it seems like a REALLY good fit for what I am looking at doing. Plus the logo and name of the amplifier is just cool. LOL  :D

jmolsberg

« Reply #67 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:15 pm »
I’ve certainly been tempted too. I’d love for someone to take the plunge.
At the end of the day low watt tube amps make omegas sing - I don’t think you can lose with an6 of them, honestly.

thetakeout

« Reply #68 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:56 pm »
Who is this Andrew you guys speaker of? 

AvsFan

« Reply #69 on: 29 Apr 2020, 05:44 pm »

Myth, legend folklore.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #70 on: 29 Apr 2020, 06:00 pm »

But in all seriousness. Here ya go.

https://www.wolfearaudio.ca/pages/home

thetakeout

« Reply #71 on: 29 Apr 2020, 07:08 pm »
thanks for the link!

I have been to that page before.  I didn't know much about the builder. 

AvsFan

« Reply #72 on: 29 Apr 2020, 10:32 pm »
thanks for the link!

I have been to that page before.  I didn't know much about the builder.

Sure. He seems very passionate and straight forward. He took the time to answer every detailed question I asked him. He also took the time reviewing other equipment and the specs I was looking at to make sure all played well together. System synergy is key to building a good system.
I might firsthand, know soon enough how good his tube amp really is.

Kray

« Reply #73 on: 12 May 2020, 11:11 pm »
Blue is such a purty tube....

jmolsberg

« Reply #74 on: 12 May 2020, 11:45 pm »
blue globes are just silliness

AvsFan

« Reply #75 on: 13 May 2020, 04:44 am »
blue globes are just silliness

Where is the best place to go for tube shopping?

Kray

« Reply #76 on: 13 May 2020, 05:13 am »
Where is the best place to go for tube shopping?

Brent Jessee or Andy at Vintage Tube Services

AvsFan

« Reply #77 on: 13 May 2020, 03:48 pm »
Brent Jessee or Andy at Vintage Tube Services

Thanks. Will check them out.

jmolsberg

« Reply #78 on: 13 May 2020, 04:08 pm »
completely agree with Brent and VTS. you have to call Andy,  he doesn't do email.