NEW IN ODYSSEY

jgtx

NEW IN ODYSSEY
« on: 29 Nov 2021, 01:52 pm »
Hello everybody.

I never heard of this brand until a month ago I bought a second hand unit of the Odyssey Tempest preamplifier after 15 years using the same system (ELECTROCOMPANIET EC 4.7 pre / ELECTROCOMPANIET AW 250 DMB power amp). Well, the thing is that the sound of Klaus old model sound in several ways beyond the Norwegian. I am using three very different preamplifiers and with my speakers (B&W Matrix 800), each one sound very different from each other. The other player is a Vincent SA-93.

Well, the Tempest is a good piece I want to maintain. Whatever, I bought it second hand and it has little issues. Remote works, but when I pushed to minimum, the physical volume don't move from the remote, so I have to wake up and move it by hand. The other thing I would like to know what model is mine (serial number 602), I mean, the normal Tempest or the Extreme.

Regards from the Canary Islands!

Jgtx.

JMW73

Re: NEW IN ODYSSEY
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2021, 09:38 pm »
Welcome to the Odyssey family!

I believe Klaus will probably be able to address your questions...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2021, 10:15 pm »
That's an impressive amount of room treatments!

jgtx

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2021, 07:58 am »
Welcome to the Odyssey family!

I believe Klaus will probably be able to address your questions...

Thank you! I would like to try Stratos or Kismets after the very good feeling I've had with the preamp, but in Spain it is difficult to get in touch with Odysssey users. Well, the remote issue has been miraculously repaired, so the only question now is to know which Tempest model it is (the normal one or Extreme). The toroidal transformer is a Pikatron RNF 1136M, I don't know if that helps.

jgtx

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2021, 07:59 am »
That's an impressive amount of room treatments!

Lockdown was too long!  :lol:

jgtx

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2021, 09:32 pm »

« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2021, 01:10 pm by jgtx »

JMW73

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2021, 11:03 pm »
As far as the volume control, potentiometers can stiffen up when they aren't used.  Turn it off and turn the knob all the way up and all the way down 30-40 times.  I've sprayed Deoxit Fader on them before to clean them up (check with Klaus before doing that one!).  In addition, the knob can bind a little (which you'd feel in the above exercise) if it's not on perfectly.  It's held on by a set screw that's easy to find.

I don't know the answer to the "extreme" or not.  I think Klaus will have to chime in on that.  You can always send it in for service and upgrades, too.  But I'm sure shipping would be a serious issue from Spain!

I have Kismet Mono amps, but running off of the Candela preamp.  I love them!

jgtx

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2021, 11:18 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Volume is now moving flawlessly. Let's see if Klaus can answer about my model. I am looking for a pair of Kismet monos, but one power amp blows the fuse. Price is very nice for the pair, but I don't know how deep the problem is about. I really want to try them, because this Tempest (that looks to be the Extreme one according to the SLB seen within) has brought a very different air to my all time music. Have any of you experience blowing fuses failure?

Chewbacca

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2021, 11:23 pm »
I just had to drop by and say your room is absolutely amazing! I am truly jealous... but happy you can enjoy something so well put together!

I have Kismet monos with standard offboard caps, and they sound wonderful to my ears! I'm probably sending them in in the next few months for some upgrades!... 35k offboard caps anyone? 8) I have no doubt you'll love them!

Also - no fuse blowing here!

jgtx

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:02 pm »
I just had to drop by and say your room is absolutely amazing! I am truly jealous... but happy you can enjoy something so well put together!

I have Kismet monos with standard offboard caps, and they sound wonderful to my ears! I'm probably sending them in in the next few months for some upgrades!... 35k offboard caps anyone? 8) I have no doubt you'll love them!

Also - no fuse blowing here!

Nice you enjoy my Lockdown hard work  :lol:. Thank you!

According to the set of KISMET's I have seen at a very good deal, one power amp is fully working, but the other just blowns the fuse. It is a risk, because it may be easy to repair but maybe no, and living in Spain, I don't want to think in shipping cost to the USA, round trip. Here are some pics of the units. They are two consecutive serial numbers, custom made to a guy named Andy Foolchand (Andy, are you here?). Have any of you experienced a problem like this? Thanks in advance!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2021, 04:59 pm »
The Odyssey amps aren't extremely complicated, I bet a local electronics tech could fix the amp for you. Good Luck!

I've had my Odyssey amp for many years, it's a great amp.  :thumb:

Bambudist

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2021, 11:57 pm »
If you check the total capacitance on the amp you can tell if its been upgraded.  The upgraded versions have 120K capacitance, I think.