Star Trek: Picard - coming in 2020

WGH

Star Trek: Picard - coming in 2020
« on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:04 am »
Star Trek: Picard

Lookout aliens, Picard is back. Just announced at this years Comic-Con with a trailer released today.
https://www.wired.com/story/star-trek-picard-2019-comic-con

Also appearing will be a Borg cube, Data (Brent Spiner), Jeri Ryan’s part-Borg character Seven of Nine, first officer Riker (Jonathan Frakes) and Counselor Troi (Marina Sirtis). 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Star Trek: Picard - coming in 2020
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:31 am »
I dont see Seven of Nine as a typical Star Trek characther, I feel her as a artificial, dummy and hard character, just me.
Great cast other wise.

Mudslide

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2019, 06:07 am »
Yeah, but..........

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2019, 07:52 am »
Now that the Star Trek movies are nothing but action flicks with similarly named characters to TOS, I hope this will be something different.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2019, 02:34 pm »
I remember when Shatner complained when they pushed him out for being too old to portray a ship captain.  Now they are bringing back Stewart who will turn 80 in 2020.

As to Jeri Ryan, she was probably the main character in Voyager over its last 3 seasons.  That show had a lot of weak characters. 

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2019, 03:08 pm »
The trailer didn't do much for me, I think it makes Stewart look a little past his prime. But I'll definitely go see it, if for nothing else than to honor Gene Roddenberry, and Patrick, and to see Spiner in anything, anytime.

Seems to have that same diznified feel to it, like the last batch of Star Wars with the new young actors legitimized by the old stars in effort to breath new commercial viability into a very old story.

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2019, 05:29 pm »
My favorite Star Trek series. I also hope I am not disappointed by this effort. 

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2019, 06:25 pm »
But I'll definitely go see it...

You don't have to go anywhere, just sign up for CBS All Access

CBS All Access is a streaming network that already has Star Trek: Discovery and the upcoming animated show Star Trek: Lower Decks
Star Trek: Discovery season 1 was kind of meh but luckily it found it's footing and Season 2 was much better.

The Good Fight is also on CBS All Access, season 1 first aired February 19, 2017 and is now airing on network TV. Based on that schedule, if you don't want to pay for CBS All Access wait 2 years and watch Picard for free with commercials on network TV in 2022. Check to see if it will be included with your Amazon Prime membership.

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2019, 06:52 pm »
You don't have to go anywhere, just sign up for CBS All Access

Cool! Thanks for the info WGH

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2019, 06:59 pm »
Seven of Nine was a really great character. Someone totally different, but still a Human. Different agenda. Different attitude.

nc42acc

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2019, 07:13 pm »
Since the last three movies were prequels I guess this has played itself out. I really liked the Next Generation series but Picard has been obliterated so many times in the X Men movies he is looking a little worse for the wear. Maybe they can run him through the replicator and spit out a younger version to keep the series going.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2019, 09:53 pm »

If you haven't seen it, Season 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Discovery should scratch that Star Trek itch until 2020. Star Trek is never as good as we think it should be but even average science fiction is better than no science fiction. Now streaming on Amazon Prime.

The best science fiction series ever made was the 4 seasons of Battlestar Galactica from 2004 - 2009 along with a few 2 hour movies between seasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Battlestar_Galactica_(2004_TV_series)_episodes#Miniseries_(2003)

Start with parts 1 & 2 of the 2003 Battlestar Galactica Miniseries. The over 3 hour 2 part miniseries introduces the characters and sets the stage for season 1, episode 1 '33'.

33 - season 1 episode 1, is a classic and sets the tone for the entire series. This is a dark series, after the 12 Colonies are destroyed and the survivors are relentlessly persued by the Cylons there is nothing to be happy about.

"The Galactica and the other remaining ships - with about 50,000 people aboard them all - are being pursued by the Cylons. They are forced to jump into hyper space every 33 minutes. Somehow, the Cylons know where they are going and appear exactly 33 minutes after the Galactica arrives. The crew hasn't slept for over 130 hours now and everyone is exhausted."

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2019, 05:46 am »
Galactica was nice, I should mention The Invaders was great with Roy Thinnes mainly from the 1967 perspective, that opening was impressively bold with that incidental music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOLGrXOtuwQ

There is an alternate opening also great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQF6uUYF5V8

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2019, 02:40 pm »
My son and I are Sci Fi buffs.  I have to agree with the Battle Star reboot being great.  I think that the Expanse is almost on par with it.  Babylon 5 is also up there but it was a little bit hokey which is expected given the time period it was made.

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:31 pm »
There's lots of cast interviews from Comicon last weekend on utoob

Mudslide

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2019, 05:37 pm »
My son and I are Sci Fi buffs.  I have to agree with the Battle Star reboot being great.  I think that the Expanse is almost on par with it.  Babylon 5 is also up there but it was a little bit hokey which is expected given the time period it was made.

Yes!...I believe that The Expanse was THE best sci-fi tv series of this century.  I detested its cancellation.  But I see it's destined now for Amazon TV, whatever that is.

I'll add that I think Killjoys is a close second...also sadly ending this year.

mhconley

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2019, 07:13 pm »
SciFi junkie here, too.

The Expanse is a fantastic TV series. Very happy Amazon picked it up when SyFy cancelled it. Read the James SA Corey books!

Star Trek Discovery was interesting; it really grew on me. I'd sign up for the free month when the last episode was released and binge the season then cancel before I was billed. I am really looking forward to watching Picard. I loved The Next Generation when it aired. Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise were each a little less than the ones before... I think The Orville is a great series for those missing The Next Generation.

Never watched the later Battlestar Galactica although I liked the earlier series. I'll have to go back and watch it.

If you like reading SciFi book series look up the Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold; sure wish someone like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon would take it on.

Martin

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2019, 08:39 pm by mhconley »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2019, 07:15 pm »
Yes!...I believe that The Expanse was THE best sci-fi tv series of this century.  I detested its cancellation.  But I see it's destined now for Amazon TV, whatever that is.

I'll add that I think Killjoys is a close second...also sadly ending this year.

Jeff Bezos owner of Amazon saved the Expanse as he is a big fan of it.  Amazon TV comes with Amazon Prime and it is similar to Netflix.  The Expanse will be back December 13th.  I have read all 7 books so far.  They are worth reading.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2019, 08:22 pm »
The Expanse will be back December 13th.  I have read all 7 books so far.  They are worth reading.

There are 8 books so far, Tiamat's Wrath is the latest. 1 more is scheduled for 2020 to finish out the series.
Don't miss the 7 short stories that add depth to the characters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)

WGH

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2019, 08:42 pm »

Never watched the later Battlestar Galactica although I liked the earlier series. I'll have to go back and watch it.

If you like reading SciFi book series look up the Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold; sure wish someone like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon would take it on.

Battlestar Galactica is a big binge, you'll love it. In addition to the drama and action the series has ongoing religious conflicts first hinted at the very start of the 2003 Miniseries and get more complex as the series progresses, the survivors of the 12 Colonies believe in many Gods while the cybernetic Cylons (toasters) believe in one God.

A "toaster"