Legend Audio Design (VonGaylord Audio) L2Mkll 6sn7 based TubePreamp/power supply

farfignugen

Rare chance to buy a truly great Preamp from one of the premier German designers. The enigmatic & mysterious VonGaylord who moved manufacturing of his designs from California (under the Legend name) to Germany (under the VonGaylord name), but continued the same fanatical build quality. The current iteration of this Preamp (MklV) sells for $8000+. I'm the second owner & unit has never given me any trouble (I've owned it for 13 years). Published professional reviews from The Audiophile Voice & Soundstage both raved about its transparent, dynamic nature & found that it even bested thier reference units (CAT SL1, Audio Note 3.1) & I have heard it in direct comparison to best the following fine preamps... VTL 2.5, Cary SLP 98, Joule Electra LA100 Mkll, Quicksilver, Audio Research LS16, Emotive Audio Sira. The soundstage is broad, deep & detailed. The tonal balance is spot on & the dynamics are unparalleled IMHO. Image focus & density are excellent & the coherence across the entire spectrum maintains composure at all volume levels. I'll truly be sad to see this go, but my knees are bad & I need to find something with a remote. I'll include a pair of Tungsol Tall boy 6SN7s & a couple other pairs (including a wonderful set of RCAs), the cable that runs between power supply & line stage & original box factory EIC power cord. The half inch thick faceplates ( on both units) still look great (one small nick) & there are a few small scratches on the top of the unit. (See pics) internal wiring from jacks/switches to board is silver. I'm asking $1650.00 obo but I'm not backing off a whole lot on that price (although I'm open to partial trades). Contact me here or see my ad under "farfignugen" on USAudiomart Or on EBay.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

farfignugen

Thanx brother.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Some more important details (from their website):

•    Class A preamplifier
•    Tubes: 6SN7 x 2
•    Separated external power supply unit
•    Discrete and noise and isolated left/right audio section
•    Inputs for CD, Tuner, Auxiliary and A/V
•    Hand soldered point-to-point wiring
•    Special internal Von Gaylord silver wiring
•    Frequency response : 10Hz to 85kHz
•    S/N ratio : >102db
•    Input impedance : 1k ohms
•    Input sensitivity : 120mV, 2V out, 30db gain
•    Dimensions : 19.5 inch width x 4.25 inch height x 9.5 inch depth
•    Total Weight (2 chassis) : 50lbs

Hi!

You might want to email VonGaylord/Legend regarding the accuracy of their specs. In particular the input impedance being reported as 1K ohms. Are they sure they mean INPUT impedance or OUTPUT impedance? Also find out if the overall gain is 30dB because that is a tremendous amount of gain for a linestage that does not have a phonostage.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2015, 08:44 pm by poseidonsvoice »

farfignugen

Input impedance is 100k ohms, not  1k ohms