Open Baffle LS-9's - Pictures

Danny Richie

Re: Open Baffle LS-9's - Pictures
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:24 pm »
hi Danny,

would you happen to still have the ob ls-9's? what are you thinking on price?

I do have them. Want to make a deal? Call me.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2015, 01:07 am »
Wife friendly indeed. Mine took one look at the LS-X's and told me in no uncertain terms the only way I would ever be allowed to have something like that in the house is if I were building it for somebody else  :( bummer

Mike
\
Who says the LS9's aren't wife friendly?  When I built mine I told my wife that I got a great pre-funeral deal on a matching pair of coffins for that eventual day.  She suggested that it might come a bit sooner if I bought anything else.   

THROWBACK

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2015, 01:09 am »
What Ruben said about me and my speakers (see pics) in the first post is absolutely true. I do love my LS-9's. And yes, mine are OB.  I run the LS-9's full range, but note that I have added the OB servo subs (3@ 12" per side) to mine to fill out the bottom end. The sound I am getting is the best I have ever had or heard in 60 years as an audiophile. I just returned from CES and heard systems costing up to $.5 Million. I'll take mine over any of them.

BTW: Ruben did an absolutely gorgeous job with the LS-9 cabinets. I used the subs with my 'stats before I got the LS-9's. I had a local guy build them out of 3/4" MDF with counter-top material glued on them.

Highly recommended.

LSfromBC

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2015, 01:33 am »
cough cough cough! oh crap! :oops:  I should have looked a little more before I asked a silly question.

I had no idea they cost that much :cry:.   lol I thought maybe a bit more than the ls-9's (which I am still trying to get funds for) but at a USED price. I cant even bother you with asking the price.

sorry Danny, I will do more research before asking anymore dumb questions.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:36 am »
Another option for open baffle LS9s is to buy the Neo 8PDRs and M165Xs (only $45 each) from Danny and use an electronic xover.  I will have a state of the art line level crossover in a few months.  It will allow 6-24 db per octave and you can change the frequency of xover as well.  With an electronic xover you do not have to be concerned about matching the woofer sensitivity to the tweets (or visa versa).  You just pad the more sensitive amp/speaker combo in the xover.  This way you have no passive xover parts and the woofers are driven directly from the amp for incredible dynamics.  Also, the mids and highs do not have to see the back emf from the woofer amp.  You could use a Emotiva or ? or high control class d amp for the bass (Ncore would be great!) and whatever amp you wanted for the mid/tweets.  You would have to cut the M165Xs down with a hacksaw or whatever to make them fit closer together (not hard to do).  Even though Danny's newer drivers have higher Q for lower response on an open baffle....you will have plenty of response down to 100 hz with the M165Xs....remember, you have 12 of them and you have the big wing.....you will have incredible bass.  Danny's newer drivers will go lower but you don't need them as you are using subs below 100z.  You can use his servo woofs or start with other less expensive subs (maybe you already have some).  This will blow your mind! 

Of course, you could just buy the whole LS9 kit from Danny and not use the passive xover....then you will have exactly what is shown here in drivers but use an electronic xover for even better sound.  You could A/B the passive xover with the active....that would be fun....and useful information for many.

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:16 am »
What Ruben said about me and my speakers (see pics) in the first post is absolutely true. I do love my LS-9's. And yes, mine are OB.  I run the LS-9's full range, but note that I have added the OB servo subs (3@ 12" per side) to mine to fill out the bottom end. The sound I am getting is the best I have ever had or heard in 60 years as an audiophile. I just returned from CES and heard systems costing up to $.5 Million. I'll take mine over any of them.

BTW: Ruben did an absolutely gorgeous job with the LS-9 cabinets. I used the subs with my 'stats before I got the LS-9's. I had a local guy build them out of 3/4" MDF with counter-top material glued on them.

Highly recommended.

Did you ever swap those  speakers left to right  and get them orientated with the wings on the inside ?  Curious to know how much difference you noticed orientating them  this way.  I'm guessing you'd get a wider soundstage and  a  more focused , forward center image    but I don't  know for sure  :scratch:
-jay
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2015, 05:30 am by Captainhemo »

THROWBACK

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2015, 01:36 pm »
Yes, I did swap them around. And yes, the image did improve.

BTW, that's one of the great things about these speakers: a very stable image. JG Holt talked about a test in which one would run a mono input signal through the octaves and chart on a piece of paper how much the image would shift back and forth. Don't try this if you are afraid of the answer. With these speakers, the image stays right in the center all the way up and down.

bdp24

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2015, 03:53 pm »
I'm so happy when J. Gordon Holt is quoted, or even mentioned. He deserves even more credit than he is given, credit that is often incorrectly afforded Harry Pearson rather than Gordon.

LSfromBC

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2015, 06:46 pm »
hey Ric,

thank you sir for your input, but lol its all French to me. :D I guess I'm just that guy that knows plug and play. not much of a tweeker at this point. all I know is I like giant speakers that go loud. :thumb:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2015, 07:19 pm »
Danny I will ask, how much are you asking for your demo pair?

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2015, 07:56 pm »
Danny I will ask, how much are you asking for your demo pair?

We really need to get 19k out of them. That's a break even point.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2015, 08:35 pm »
 :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Captainhemo

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2015, 08:44 pm »
Danny,
What about  what  Ric mentioned, using the  M165X  as an alternate woofer  to  build  OB LS9's?  I realize you are  out of  c/o boards for the LS9 but  would you still  sell the  componetsas/schematict to   build the P2P network  and avoid the electronic  c/o  route ?
 :lol: , you  probably know  where I'm going with this, but I get the feeling he's still pretty pumped on  the OB LS9's

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2015, 08:56 pm »
Danny,
What about  what  Ric mentioned, using the  M165X  as an alternate woofer  to  build  OB LS9's?  I realize you are  out of  c/o boards for the LS9 but  would you still  sell the  componetsas/schematict to   build the P2P network  and avoid the electronic  c/o  route ?
 :lol: , you  probably know  where I'm going with this, but I get the feeling he's still pretty pumped on  the OB LS9's

-jay

You're talking developing a new speaker, having prototype test baffles sent it for measurements and testing, having a finished pair built out in a nice veneer... matching sub towers.....shipping, creating, assembling.... designing new crossovers, listening and tweaking....and you are right back up to the $19k mark.

And the woofers that were used in the LSX were designed specifically for that application.  The M165X were not. And it is doubtful that the sensitivities would match. And the frames aren't truncated....

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2015, 09:22 pm »
You're talking developing a new speaker, having prototype test baffles sent it for measurements and testing, having a finished pair built out in a nice veneer... matching sub towers.....shipping, creating, assembling.... designing new crossovers, listening and tweaking....and you are right back up to the $19k mark.

And the woofers that were used in the LSX were designed specifically for that application.  The M165X were not. And it is doubtful that the sensitivities would match. And the frames aren't truncated....

Point taken   :duh:
I actually  wan't  referring to subbing the LSX drivers or  getting it's c/o schematic   but  rather the LS9's  (they did use different drivers if I'm not mistaken).
But as you say,    bascially the same issus

had to ask

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 14 Jan 2015, 10:18 pm »
I didn't mind you asking. And unfortunately there are no more LS drivers left in stock.

devste

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm »
I didn't mind you asking. And unfortunately there are no more LS drivers left in stock.

Hi Danny,

Is there any way to get LS drivers for LS6 and LS9s if we get a damaged driver in the future?  I thought I read somewhere you would save some for this very reason.  Are we SOL if we get a damaged woofer?   :cry:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #37 on: 15 Jan 2015, 12:04 am »
Yup.

People forgot how much effort, time, & money to go into developing these things. :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2015, 01:08 am »
Yup.

People forgot how much effort, time, & money to go into developing these things. :)

Hi Hugh,
That may be true to a point,  but for us guys who aren't  designers,  it is can easilly be overlook/misunderstand. I'm sure it probably happens even more when   we see  such a well respected speaker  becoming  "not available", it's wishful thinking I guess   I think  many of us do realize there is  TON of  R&D that goes into these kits.
In this particular case,   I was  just hopig there was an off chance  there may be a  close sub for the LS woofers     which are now  gone.  The  M165X  write up says it works well on  an OB,  figured it was  worth asking about.   And, in this instance thread,   the LS woofers (used in the 6's and 9's) weren't ideal  for OB use anyway.  I know  those used in the LSX's of courese were..  I hadn't even  thought about  the  M165X's not being truncated (not 100% sure  what that means in this context but  assume it   reduces the frame size and allws  for stacking in a LS)  :scratch:

Danny,  I knew you didn't mind me asking.    That's  why your circle is such a great  place to learn  :thumb:

-jay

Folsom

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2015, 03:16 am »
Developing anything in audio is much more difficult than most would expect. How do you decide what capacitor for signal? Listen to a bunch... for long periods of time. It's more of a job than many believe.