NBA season suspended

kmmd

• My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
Re: NBA season suspendedsDia
« Reply #100 on: 19 Mar 2020, 02:11 am »
Thanks to all for your well wishes.

Where I work, we have to reuse safety glasses, goggles and face masks.  We clean them after a patient encounter in the “tent.”  My colleague just sent us an email to ask others on social media for donations.  As we are in the Bay Area, many of us have earthquake kits.  She was able to secure a donation from her neighbor for N95 masks. 

charmerci

Re: NBA season suspended
« Reply #101 on: 19 Mar 2020, 04:48 am »
I braved the outside world twice today:

People really should be outside exercising in the fresh air - the best thing for the prevention of covid-19!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #102 on: 19 Mar 2020, 09:55 am »
People really should be outside exercising in the fresh air - the best thing for the prevention of covid-19!

During the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 they didn't have antibiotics or Tamiflu, so instituted "fresh air therapy" where patients were put in tents, given large doses of sunshine, wards opened all the windows for cross ventilation, etc.  Reports of death rates going from 40% to 4% were common.  All public park fees have been waved in PA. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #103 on: 19 Mar 2020, 11:10 am »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-says-high-temperature-high-213034915.html

A bit of bright news on the horizon?
Hope so, who the heck wants to live like Howard Hughes?
These Kleenex Boxes are really screwing up my super long toe nails.

TomS

« Reply #104 on: 19 Mar 2020, 03:13 pm »

Record high of 91 here yesterday. Doesn't seem to be slowing anything down, but warm sunshine is certainly nice :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #105 on: 19 Mar 2020, 04:37 pm »
OMG Tom, what’s yer 20?

kmmd

• Systems
« Reply #106 on: 19 Mar 2020, 05:12 pm »
I feel much better now.  The press conference just informed me to reuse my masks or use a scarf or bandana to protect myself.  :roll:  Should I use and would I be safe using the cashmere scarves I bought in Beijing?  I am an American Born Chinese though.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/face-masks.html

TomS

« Reply #107 on: 19 Mar 2020, 05:33 pm »
OMG Tom, what’s yer 20?
Southwest Florida

TomS

« Reply #108 on: 19 Mar 2020, 05:46 pm »
I feel much better now.  The press conference just informed me to reuse my masks or use a scarf or bandana to protect myself.  :roll:  Should I use and would I be safe using the cashmere scarves I bought in Beijing?  I am an American Born Chinese though.

There is a woman here making and selling masks made of cotton and pellon fabrics for $10 sort of as a community service. Washable, re-usable?

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41912127/lee-county-woman-makes-reusable-face-masks-to-try-and-help-people-during-pandemic

I feel for all the docs and what you are doing, hopefully more PPE finally starts flowing very soon (our daughter is a cancer doc in Houston).

Photon46

« Reply #109 on: 19 Mar 2020, 06:00 pm »

I say the following with tongue only slightly in cheek. If our government is considering co-opting the forces of private industry to direct manufacturing capabilities towards the immediate needs of the medical community's shortage of PPE, ventilators, etc., we should also marshal the forces of tailors and seamstresses to immediately engage in the manufacture of this resourceful Taiwanese doctor's DIY multi-layer cloth face mask:

https://mustsharenews.com/cloth-face-mask/

kmmd

• Systems
« Reply #110 on: 19 Mar 2020, 06:09 pm »
Thank you Tom.

I'm sure many of you have seen the creativeness of those in Wuhan...https://www.thesundaily.my/style-life/all-the-buzz/video-wuhan-man-wears-a-sanitary-pad-as-a-facemask-AK1936233

I'm thinking of fabricating something using my Filtrete furnace filters.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #111 on: 19 Mar 2020, 08:57 pm »
I say the following with tongue only slightly in cheek...

That seems a little drastic but also quite appropriate given the current reality. This is no time for half measures. Unlike China, it’s too late for containment here; therefore everything everyone does matters...

Remember to wash your hands often, clean surfaces often, avoid all unnecessary contact with others and keep at least 6’ away from the other person if you really have to meet. :rules:

Photon46

« Reply #112 on: 19 Mar 2020, 10:48 pm »

We all hope that warming weather does slow transmission. This study reinforcing the theory that warmer weather slows down viral transmission was just released.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/new-study-says-high-temperature-and-high-relative-humidity-significantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #113 on: 20 Mar 2020, 01:12 am »
My wife says that I'm full of covfefe about the weather as the Dominican Republic is hot and humid and it's experiencing the outbreaks.

I'm doing what little I can: work at home, ride motorcycles in my free time and don't touch my face unless I've washed my hands.
Will that be enough?
Who knows.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #114 on: 20 Mar 2020, 02:18 am »
If you think that young adults are not at risk:

FROM MMWR

A review of more than 4,000 U.S. patients who were diagnosed with novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) shows an unexpected 20% of those hospitalized, and 20% of those who died of the infection, were aged 20-44 years.

The expectation has been that older people are most vulnerable to COVID-19 infection, but this study indicates that, at least in the United States, a significant number of younger patients can land in the hospital and can die of the disease.

To assess rates of hospitalization, admission to an ICU, and death among patients with COVID-19 by age group, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed 4,226 COVID-19 cases in the United States that were reported between Feb. 12 and March 16.

Overall, older patients in this group were the most likely to be hospitalized, to be admitted to ICU, and to die of COVID-19. A total of 31% of the cases, 45% of hospitalizations, 53% of ICU admissions, and 80% of deaths occurred in patients aged 65 years and older.

"Similar to reports from other countries, this finding suggests that the risk for serious disease and death from COVID-19 is higher in older age groups," said the investigators. "In contrast, persons aged [19 years and younger] appear to have milder COVID-19 illness, with almost no hospitalizations or deaths reported to date in the United States in this age group."

But compared with the under-19 group, patients aged 20-40 years appeared to be at much higher risk of hospitalization, ICU admission, and death, according to the data published March 18 in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The researchers excluded from their analysis patients who repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China, and from Japan, including patients repatriated from cruise ships. Data on serious underlying health conditions were not available, and many cases were missing key data, they noted.

Among 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged 85 years or older, 26% were aged 65-84 years, 17% were aged 55-64 years, 18% were 45-54 years, and 20% were aged 20-44 years.

Among 121 patients admitted to an ICU, 7% were aged 85 years or older, 46% were aged 65-84 years, 36% were aged 45-64 years, and 12% were aged 20-44 years. Between 11% and 31% of patients with COVID-19 aged 75-84 years were admitted to an ICU.

Of 44 deaths, more than a third occurred among adults aged 85 years and older, and 46% occurred among adults aged 65-84 years, and 20% occurred among adults aged 20-64 years.

More follow-up time is needed to determine outcomes among active cases, the researchers said. These results also might overestimate the prevalence of severe disease because the initial approach to testing for COVID-19 focused on people with more severe disease.

"These preliminary data also demonstrate that severe illness leading to hospitalization, including ICU admission and death, can occur in adults of any age with COVID-19," according to the CDC.

kmmd

• Systems
« Reply #115 on: 20 Mar 2020, 05:30 am »
Marcus Smart, 3 Sixers and two Lakers.  NBA count up to 9.

And to reinforce I.Greyhound Fan’s post: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-19/glendora-man-dies-coronavirus-disney-world

Edit:
Oops I just read on SFGate that there is someone on the Nuggets that tested positive as well.  Somehow there are 14 testing positive.

Photon46

« Reply #116 on: 20 Mar 2020, 10:51 am »
My wife says that I'm full of covfefe about the weather as the Dominican Republic is hot and humid and it's experiencing the outbreaks.

I'm doing what little I can: work at home, ride motorcycles in my free time and don't touch my face unless I've washed my hands.
Will that be enough?
Who knows.

Well, the problem with all these theories is that we don't have enough time and data to make definitive judgements. That said, the presence of a disease is a community doesn't mean that weather, hand washing, social distancing, etc. isn't slowing the spread of the disease. It might be worse in the Dominican Republic if the weather was cold and dry.

This is similar to the issue of proving the worth of preventative medicine and public health. If a public health department does its job well, nothing happens. Then politicians and the public says "why are we paying for all these health measures, we don't have any disease issues, we're all healthy." So the next time budget strains occur, the first thing we want to cut are public health budgets (which we have been doing at local and Federal levels for decades under both Democratic and Republican administrations.) Now look where we are as a result. In contrast, the reason South Korea was able to ramp up their testing program so rapidly is because they learned lessons from earlier disease outbreaks like SARS and MERS and invested in nationwide testing labs and have maintained their capacity to ramp up as needed.

charmerci

« Reply #117 on: 20 Mar 2020, 02:56 pm »
Not sure how this will affect us right away but just FYI -
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgqkyw/copper-destroys-viruses-and-bacteria-why-isnt-it-everywhere?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Maybe you can rub your hands on some bare speaker wire?  ;)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #118 on: 20 Mar 2020, 04:22 pm »
Who here thinks that the upcoming NFL and College football seasons will be cancelled?

I suspect that they will be cancelled unless the virus suddenly disappears.  At the very least, games will be played with no fans in the stands and it will be TV only.  But I don't see the pro players wanting to play and put themselves or their families at risk even if it means losing millions of dollars.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #119 on: 20 Mar 2020, 04:25 pm »
I really appreciate the various posters in this thread who have been providing critical information and informative perspective - all the while keeping your heads (and mine!) cool.

I have invested in the stock markets for nearly four decades now. One particular forum that I have belonged to since its inception is mostly populated by members in their 60s to 80s. I've known many of them for 25+ years. Back then, they used to be curious to learn; used to be voracious researchers, and used to be open to new ideas. Now, most of them rely heavily on talking heads on various news channels for their health news. I have posted CDC reports, Public Health officials' reports, and other scientific papers discussing this virus. All but 5 to 10 of the members either ignore me (the majority) or accuse me of conspiring to confuse them with fake facts. They won't read/believe the CDC reports.

I find this behavior worrisome at best.

Keep posting, please.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just in case you're wondering how I'm holding up in this exciting stock market action, I sold nearly everything about 4 weeks ago, so I entered the crash with approximately 92% cash. I'm now down to about 50% cash.  8)