Gallo 3.5 among 10 best "cost no object" speakers?

jdoris

Re: Gallo 3.5 among 10 best "cost no object" speakers?
« Reply #40 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:00 pm »
I have auditioned the 3.5s twice, once at a dealer, once at 2010 RMAF. (They mated very well with the Spectron amp at RMAF.)

They are lovely: jaw dropping imaging, natural, and non-fatiguing.  If there's a complaint, it's that they could have a bit more heft: the sound might be too airy for some.  (I've not heard them with the optional bass-amp, which might help here.)  It's also possible that the "wow factor" of the 3.5s might become a "wear factor" with time, but I'd bet against it.

Looking to replace my very fine, but (unsurprisingly) limited North Creek Eska mini-towers, I've been auditioning a lot the past couple of years, including:

Legacy Whispers
Legacy Focus SE
GMA Eos HD
Wilson Sophia 2
Dynaudio Sapphire
Vandersteen 5a
Vandersteen Quattro
Daedalus Audio Ulysses (upgraded)
B&W 803 Diamond
Salk HT2-TL

These speakers range from around the price of the 3.5 to much higher.  To my ears (and to some former/present members of the trade who have been helping me shop), the 3.5 are markedly better than a number of these speakers, and competitive with all of them.  If cost (and set up) were no object, I might take the Whispers over the 3.5s; on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I'd taker the 3.5s over the 16k Sapphires, and ditto for both of the Vandys.

So while I'd be surprised if the 3.5's punched with the best designs in the "cost no object" class (you can spend a *lot* on speakers), I do think claims to the effect that you might well want to consider the 3.5 if you're looking to spend 15-20k class are justified.

IMO, the 3.5 is both better integrated and more substantial sounding than the Strad with a Gallo sub, but I do think the Strada is a great value.

my2c,

John

Val

« Reply #41 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:57 pm »
What about soundstage height? The previous model wasn't very good at this. Also the new squishy base complicates things if you want to use a stand like the Bright Star Audio. By the way, 10Audio has a new, very favorable review of the Strada.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #42 on: 31 Jan 2011, 04:41 pm »
For what ever reason, the 3.5 throws a much higher sound-stage than the earlier 3 series models did.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #43 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:45 pm »
Any opinions on the Reference Stradas performance when paired with Mapleshade's Strada Stands?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2011, 08:09 pm by davidrs »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #44 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:12 pm »

Any opinions on the Reference Stradas performance when paired with Mapleshade's Strada Stands?

Thanks.

There was some interesting opinions and test results in the January 2011 edition of Sound & Vision on the Gallo Acoustic Nucleus Reference Strata Speakers , incase you haven't already read them David.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Barry_NJ

« Reply #45 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:02 pm »
Here's the most recent Reference 3.5 review in TAS: "Must Listen" January 12th, 2011 -- by Neil Gader

davidrs

« Reply #46 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:13 pm »

There was some interesting opinions and test results in the January 2011 edition of Sound & Vision in case you haven't already read them David. 

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the link.

I'm curious about how they pair with the Mapleshade stands as seen here:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/bUpgrade-Stands-for-Reference-Strada-Speakers_bblack-lacquer/productinfo/STRA-UP-BL/

- David.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #47 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »
Hi David,

I haven't heard them myself, but Anthony said he was impressed with what Pierre was able to accomplish with that set-up. In my listening, the Strada/TR-3 system lacks a bit of the integration that the 3.5 has, with a dip somewhere in the upper bass/lower mids that's just real difficult to fill, especially with the Strada placed away from the walls. Anthony said that Pierre was able to get them so well integrated, that it may have bettered the 3.5. Also of note, I didn't see any mention on the Mapleshade site, is that a TR-3 was used in this system that Anthony was talking about, with Heavyfoot brass feet replacing its stock feet.

FWIW, Just yesterday, I was at Anthony's listening to some Strada on floor stands placed a few inches from the wall, and the bass, while not thumping, was satisfying. I imagine the same could be said of the bass produced by the Strada mounted to the Mapleshade bases and placed according to Pierre's instructions.

davidrs

« Reply #48 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:39 pm »
Barry,

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

There are aspects of Pierre's setup I like and which happen to be useful for my functional needs.

His stands are pricey, but aesthetically very pleasing to my eyes. If they add to overall performance in a significant way, as you (and others) have pointed out, the cost becomes a bit more justifiable.

- David.

johzel

« Reply #49 on: 9 Feb 2011, 02:06 am »
I had a pair of soapstone plinths/bases made for my Reference 3.5's from a local stone company. They suggested soapstone saying it "pings" less than granite and in their opinion would be better for "sound". I simply traced the bottoms on cardboard and had them cut the stone 1" wider than the bases (1/2" overlap all around). I did have screw inserts installed in the bottoms but just have them without spikes right now. Am even considering attaching outriggers. I do like them and they raise the speakers just above the carpet which was my goal. Total cost was $170. You'll notice the Gallo Reference cables. And unfortunately, you'll also notice a bit of dust - oops   :oops:

Barry_NJ

« Reply #50 on: 9 Feb 2011, 03:29 am »
Very Nice johzel! That's a great idea.

OzarkTom

« Reply #51 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:00 am »
The price was great also, compared to other audiophile tweaks.

Val

« Reply #52 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:57 am »
I haven't listened to the Stradas, but I would guess that if you place them on the floor the soundstage height would be even lower than the References. I can't imagine myself looking down to hear the sound. This is exactly the opposite of, but just as weird as, the tall YG Anat Reference speakers at at a couple of audio shows I've been at, and the maybe taller Von Schweikert speakers I listened to at a guy's home in Trinidad several years ago. In both instances, the sound was coming from the roof/wall intersection!