Good sound in small packages

jsalk

« on: 18 Dec 2005, 03:12 pm »
One of my neighbors wanted a pair of HT3's in the worst way, but didn't have the room.  They tried everything they could think of to re-arrange their living room to allow for HT3's.  But they just couldn't make it work.

Then there was the new cabinet that housed their TV and stereo equipment.  It couldn't even accommodate the size of a normal pair of HT1's.

So I agreed to build a pair of sealed HT1's for them.  At their 15" height, they fit perfectly.

The finish is waterfall bubinga with curly bubinga solid wood front baffles.

As you can imagine, the sound quality is quite high.  The only thing missing is bottom end extension.  But a dedicated sub will address that shortcoming very nicely.

They will be installed later today.

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2005, 04:50 pm »
Sweet!!

Is the sub coming from you?

If so, any details?

George

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:07 pm »
zybar -

Well, I haven't actually talked to them about a sub yet (I will when I install the speakers later today).  But I am certain that it would address any shortcomings in regard to lack of bass extension.  Actually, I finished these speakers yesterday and listened to them most of the afternoon.  While the bass was not quite as extended as with the vented HT1's, the sound was of very high quality and most enjoyable.

And the fact that they are sealed would really make integrating them with a sub a lot easier.

This customer currently has speakers that cost about $50.  So they may decide that the improvement is so dramatic, they don't really want a sub.  I will, however, recommend one and see what happens.

As for subs, I would expect to have some pictures of some sealed 15" subs with TC Sounds drivers in the next few weeks.  We are currnetly working on a number of them for clients.

Then I would like to do a vented sub along the lines that we talked about a few months ago.  If there were just a few more hours in a day...

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
...then I would like to do a vented sub along the lines that we talked about a few months ago. If there were just a few more hours in a day...

I am almost ready to get things going.  Figure another month or two...

George

audiojerry

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:36 pm »
Beautiful cabinet work

Had a chance to look at your Gallery - quite a variety of speakers, and all beautifully built.

Do you have any models available for demo?

brj

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:56 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Beautiful cabinet work

Had a chance to look at your Gallery - quite a variety of speakers, and all beautifully built.

Do you have any models available for demo?

Jim has a demo pair of his standard HT1s that he sends out upon request.  These are his standard (vented) version without any upgrades.  You just have to covered insured shipping back to him or the next guy on the list.

Several AC members in North Texas heard them, and then I sent them on to CA.  I don't know if they ever made it back to Jim, but I know that he was wanting to give them a once over and perhaps install his latest set of binding posts and a few other minor adjustments.  If I recall correctly, this pair was the second ever built, and he is typically fast to point out that they don't represent his usual standard of finish work.

If you go for the demo, audiojerry, I'd be curious to know how they compare to the SP Tech Timepieces!  Hope this helps.

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:15 am »
Thanks for the info and the links, brj.
I'll try to find out the status, but it looks like Mr. Salk is a very busy man. Maybe things will settle down after CES. If I ever get a pair to audition, I will let you know know how I feel about them.