New 1C or used 2Ce ?

tesseract

New 1C or used 2Ce ?
« on: 27 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm »
I am considering new Vandersteen 1C's or used 2Ce's. Which is the better deal?

I would like to avoid foam rot and old electrolytic XO caps. Is that something to be concerned about with older Vandy's?

I have dual subs, so bass is not a concern. No ability or desire to high pass the mains, they will run wide open. Available amp power is 75 watts 8 ohms, 100 watts 4 ohms.

Thank you and regards,
tesseract

Dan Driscoll

Re: New 1C or used 2Ce ?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:50 pm »
I have 2Cs and have not had any problems with foam rot or capacitors drying out. Even with dual subs, IMO the 2Ce is the better option.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:29 pm »
    Have to agree with Dan on the 2Ce. If you can find the Singnature version even better. Happy hunting.

charles
SMA

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2011, 05:23 pm »
Depending on room size, if you have two subs, you might want to try the 1C.  You might get better imaging and due to the 1C's having a 90db sensitivity compared to 87db for the 2Ce's, you might get more oomph with the smaller speakers.

How big is your room?

But both are excellent.

tesseract

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2011, 09:38 pm »
My room is 12'x16' with large doorways in two corners. A terrible room, but I manage with careful speaker/listening position placement.

The NIB 1C's I was looking at for $500 are gone, and the seller never replied to my emails anyway, or I would have bought them.   :|

I just bought omnipole speakers, going to try constant directivity horns next. Someday, I want a pair of Vandys.

Thank you for the advice, all.

cody69

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2011, 01:55 am »
I have a pair of 2Ce Sigs that I am extremely happy with. They're playing in a room 24' x 22' and they fill the room nicely with music. I have them paired with a set of GR servo subs, not necessarily required as the Vandy's have enough bass on their own. When I auditioned the 1Cs I felt subs would be needed as they don't play as strong on the bottom. Ideally, try to find someone who has both so you can listen yourself and see which you prefer.