Setting bass level (Quatros and up)

Daverz

Setting bass level (Quatros and up)
« on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm »
Does anyone have anyone have any good strategies for setting the overall bass level?  I have "Soular Energy" on CD, but I really don't understand what I'm supposed to be listening for.  I have cloth Quatros, but I'm betting any method that worked for any of the speakers with built in subwoofers would work here.

I long ago just set it at 0 and left it, but I tried increasing it to 1 today, and I think I prefer the "lift" it seems to give the overall sound.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Setting bass level (Quatros and up)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2011, 01:32 pm »
Here is what I did to setup my 5A's:

1.  Place them for the best sound possible (imaging, sound stage, timbre, etc...) with the subs off
2.  Using test tones and some type of measurement device (I used a Velodyne SMS-1), measure one speaker at a time
3.  Try to use the 11 band equalizer to bring down peaks and only add a little to dips
4.  Once both speakers have been measured and set, measure with both speakers playing
5.  Make adjustments based on both speakers playing
6.  Listen, listen, listen!!!  Listen to some good upright bass, percussion, etc...you want it sound natural and have the right amount of slam, speed, and detail.

This process took multiple hours and multiple sessions before I finally left things alone.  Don't rush it.  Also, don't worry if things are perfectly flat.  At the end of the day, go with what sounds best to you and that you enjoy.

Best of luck.

George

Daverz

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2011, 09:39 pm »
Yeah, I guess listening is the only way to go.  Double basses in orchestral recordings are maybe a little too fulsome with the +1 setting, so I'm back down to 0.

I have my own procedure for doing the EQ in a systematic way, which maybe I'll describe elsewhere here when I have time.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm »
Yeah, I guess listening is the only way to go.  Double basses in orchestral recordings are maybe a little too fulsome with the +1 setting, so I'm back down to 0.

I have my own procedure for doing the EQ in a systematic way, which maybe I'll describe elsewhere here when I have time.

Woops!  Just realized that I didn't answer your question.

I just listen and use what I look best.  Nothing more scientific than that. 

George

Wig

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:17 pm »
Has anyone done a Youtube video on the process of setting up the Quatros?

Wig :D