Tyler Acoustics Decade D2

rjryan

Tyler Acoustics Decade D2
« on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:16 am »
I'm brand new to the forum, largely due to Mr. Ritchie's involvement in the Tyler Acoustics Decade line. I must say: in the two weeks that I've owned my D2's, they are easily the most reveling speaker that I've heard in a long time...even When compared to the Revel Salons and Focal Utopias. These just "fit" with the way I like to enjoy music. Absolutely stunning sound and imaging!

One question, however: Does anyone have access to a frequency plot? I know they're rated for 30Hz to 20kHz, but I was wondering if there was an actual plot anywhere to show the tolerances etc.

I'm a recording engineer...I just geek out on that stuff :lol:

Thanks in advance for any insight!

rjryan

Re: Tyler Acoustics Decade D2
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:37 am »
My apologies. Should read "...Mr. Richie..." and "...revealing speakers..." :oops: I should know better than to fire off posts on my iPad without spell checking :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2013, 03:14 am »
Welcome to AC.

Yes, I have all of the measured data on those. They are actually very smooth. From about 4kHz and down they are about +/-1db. There are a few little wiggles in the top end but not bad, and easily +/-2.5db over their whole range.

Port tuning is at 27Hz.

They can also be considerable upgraded with Sonicaps, Mills resisters, Erse XQ inductors, better wire, tube connectors, and No Rez.

You are likely just getting a taste of the true clarity and resolution that they are capable of. So if you like what you are hearing now...

rjryan

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply, Danny! You're info reinforces what I've been hearing. As for the upgrades: Well, now you've got my interest piqued...I might be asking for more specifics at a later time :D

As an aside: I do theater with these, too. Is there any sub recommendations that anyone has? I'm looking at REL and Sunfire, as I've a local dealer here. I'm curious about the Tyler, too, although, there is very little info.

sl_1800

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:20 am »
The Tyler Sub looks like a GR 12" sub to me, which is a awesome sub, I'm sure Danny can tell us for certain.  Another excellent option is the Rythmik Audio subs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:37 am »
Our servo controlled subs beat up all of those in sound quality. By comparison the rest are just uncontrolled.

And we sell our servo woofers to Ty. So he can build you a really nice matching cabinet for your sub.

Here is a pic of the D2 crossovers with all the good stuff.

rjryan

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:20 pm »
Thanks again, guys! That crossover looks pretty sweet, too.

Does Ty use your amplifier as well?

nickd

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2013, 02:51 pm »
Nice crossover Danny, low parts count for a 3 way too.

One question though. I had read somewhere that you didn't like iron core inductors in woofer circuts, yet I have seen them in many of your designs. I thought iron cores saturate with a bit of current and slightly reduce woofer dynamics. Is their use a necessary size and cost compromise on most designs or is my understanding incorrect? :dunno:

My last two builds have used powered woofers (no inductors). My next build may be a passive fullrange augmented by powered subs. So I'm still working it out in my head.

rjryan

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:11 pm »
Our servo controlled subs beat up all of those in sound quality. By comparison the rest are just uncontrolled.

And we sell our servo woofers to Ty. So he can build you a really nice matching cabinet for your sub.

Here is a pic of the D2 crossovers with all the good stuff.

O.K. I'll bite...I apologize if this bends the forum rules (I'm really not sure if it does) but what does the D2 crossover update cost? :lol: I'm not a speaker builder per se (too many other hobbies/obligations) , but would be able to swap out a completed crossover myself. Same with the sub...could certainly load up a cabinet with completed parts and drivers. Just curious. Feel free to move this to a PM if you need to.

Thanks, everybody!! Great information out here!

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:32 pm »
One question though. I had read somewhere that you didn't like iron core inductors in woofer circuts, yet I have seen them in many of your designs. I thought iron cores saturate with a bit of current and slightly reduce woofer dynamics. Is their use a necessary size and cost compromise on most designs or is my understanding incorrect?

I won't use them in a circuit handling any mid-range. In this case the crossover point is below 200Hz. And it is a 14 guage Erse Super-Q. That is the best of its type.

O.K. I'll bite...I apologize if this bends the forum rules (I'm really not sure if it does) but what does the D2 crossover update cost?  I'm not a speaker builder per se (too many other hobbies/obligations) , but would be able to swap out a completed crossover myself. Same with the sub...could certainly load up a cabinet with completed parts and drivers. Just curious. Feel free to move this to a PM if you need to.

No problem at all. Parts cost was only $288. And you can assemble them yourself if you like. This customer had me assemble them for him. So I charged him $160 for assembly (not too bad). He also needed 82 feet of my internal wire and a set of tube connectors. He installed it all.

The customer said that they "sound phenomena", and that "I have owned these speakers for 2 years and I immediately noticed a the difference." 

This customer also lined them with No Rez a few months before the crossover upgrade.

By customers request I can send these parts to Ty for him to use when he builds them.

Does Ty use your amplifier as well?

Yes, Ty uses the Rythmik A370PEQ amps as well.

motorcitym3

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:02 pm »
Danny,
Will these crossovers work for the Linbrook series as well?   I'm currently thinking about upgrading them :scratch:
(Sorry for the hijack!)

rjryan

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2013, 06:22 pm »
Thanks again for the info, Danny. Looks like I've found another "rainy day" project or two to tackle after I get caught up in the studio!

Nice Linnbrook's, Motorcity!!! Beautiful speakers. I'm pretty impressed with Ty's build quality overall...and with Ty himself. Really nice guy and easy to deal with.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2013, 08:12 pm »
Sorry Motorcity the crossovers are specific to the D2 speakers. But Ty does take trade ins if you wanted to upgrade to any of the Decade Series models.

I'm pretty impressed with Ty's build quality overall...and with Ty himself. Really nice guy and easy to deal with.

:thumb: :thumb:

AKLegal

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm »
Sorry Motorcity the crossovers are specific to the D2 speakers. But Ty does take trade ins if you wanted to upgrade to any of the Decade Series models.

:thumb: :thumb:

I upgraded from the Linbrooks signatures to the Decades.  IMO the Decades are the superior speakers.

rjryan

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:12 am »

I upgraded from the Linbrooks signatures to the Decades.  IMO the Decades are the superior speakers.
I can't necessarily speak to the differences between the Linbrooks and D2's, but I CAN tell you that Ty has pretty tight QC on his trades FWIW. I decided to purchase my D2's used direct from Ty because I couldn't audition...couldn't be happier! I get the feeling there's a nice "zen" flow through his shop: Trade up and pass along :) One thing I can say...the Decades are incredibly nice speakers: I ordered a matching center channel as a result of the LR sound.

To frame this a little bit: I've been a B&W enthusiast for many years (mainly 600 and 700 series, but I've installed several pairs of 800's for clients and friends) and I can tell you, from my perspective, my D2's definitely play in the same league as the 802's...in my opinion, they play better.  Of course, to each his own ears  :D

At this point, I just couldn't see how you'd go wrong trading up into Ty's line. Actually, he just introduced a new series, the Highland, at AXPONA...

harley52

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2013, 07:22 pm »
Since so much is being said about xovers, I'll throw my 2cents.

This could be a long story but, I'll do my best to be pify. For years, 25 or so, I've always had a very hard time finding a speaker that didn't become hard,glassy or distorted in the 3k hz-4.5 hz area. I'm talking about price from about $1500- 5 figures. The worst of the 5 figure speakers are Avalons. Can not make it thru 2-3 songs listening to that noise. B&W forget it. I run when I see those. Theil, another one to stray from.

The Wilson W/P was the only one of the 4 expensive speakers I could enjoy. I heard them at the same place I listened to my Stages. I thought they where dead even on vocals and I loved the low end on the Stages. They are about 16db high at 40hz compared to a 1khz. But man what a sound. I purchased the Stages that day. I also have two different pairs of Clements hybrids from the 90's. These have been the only speakers I could listen to all day into the night. But I'm tiring of setting in the sweetspot. I want something I can have a little room to move w/o killing the sound.

So, recently I been thinking of going for an omni type speaker or a speaker that will give me a little more freedom of movement. But, I'm thinking about those daunting frequencies that I have a problem tolerating. :roll:

So I ordered a pr. of Gallo Classico CL 2's. Little stand mounts. No xover at all and can handle a good amount of power for such a design. To say they have a larger sweet spot is an understatement. I gues it's the 180 degree peizo tweeter that's responsibile for the larger sweetspot. And no problems at the previously mentioned frequencies. I'm impressed. And placement was so easy to get good sound. All for $800.

I'm not positive about this, but maybe the CL 4's are what I'll end up with. Still want to hear the omni's, Ohm and Decware. And the VSA 22's.

Does the Gallo sound so good to me because of the xoverless design? I do think that is a major part of it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2013, 07:37 pm »
Does the Gallo sound so good to me because of the xoverless design? I do think that is a major part of it.

They have their problems and weaknesses. What you are liking though really has nothing to do with them having no crossover. In fact that is the reason their response is less then accurate. What they have going for them is no surface reflections. And that is a big deal.

dragoonxp20

« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2013, 09:29 pm »
They have their problems and weaknesses. What you are liking though really has nothing to do with them having no crossover. In fact that is the reason their response is less then accurate. What they have going for them is no surface reflections. And that is a big deal.

Are you referring to the driver's inability to play lower frequencies and the problems associated with not limiting those?

harley52

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm »
Danny, the Classico's are traditional boxes. :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2013, 10:47 pm »
Oh, I was thinking of the ones with the sphere shaped boxes on the drivers.

Those woofers on the Classico models look like they come from Peerless of India. I recognize that frame.  :D