N3S L/C/R are set up, couple questions.

JonnyFive

N3S L/C/R are set up, couple questions.
« on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:38 pm »
I picked up an N3S L/R to combine with the N3S center channel I previously bought from "JoeMamma."  I now have 3 "Ron-built" N3S's as my front 3.  :) Ron did a great job on the L/R cabinets, my gf approves of them even though they aren't the piano black finish she thought would look best.

My first impression is "wow"!  These speakers are incredibly detailed and open sounding.  They disappear into the room, and I love the tweeter....no listening fatigue whatsoever. 

I'm a fan of Audyssey (I am, after all, an applied mathematician who works on algorithms).  I ran Audyssey last night and got some peculiar results.  Audyssey correctly detects the crossover of my SVS sealed speakers at 60hz, and the center N3S is correctly detected at 60hz.  But the L/R N3S are both set to 120hz????  That's way off.  The center might be getting a little bass reinforcement from being under the TV in a semi open cabinet, but 120 hz???  I bumped it down to 80hz and everything sounds great, but I believe this means I won't get any EQ correction below 120hz on the L/R.  Any thoughts?  (Cross over at 80hz to SVS SB13 sub, FYI).

Also, I have the SVS S series sealed bookshelves as my height channels.  Would I gain anything by adding matching N2X's as heights, or is the information so diffuse coming from there that it is of little added value?

Thanks Danny for designing a great speaker and Ron for his work on building these speakers.  I'm very impressed so far,

Jon

Danny Richie

Re: N3S L/C/R are set up, couple questions.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:15 pm »
You will actually get much better integration to the sub if you cross them over to the sub at 60Hz or below. So I'd let them play on down a little more.

Also those speakers that you are using for added height does get is signal that is very much like the mains. They can actually disrupt the on axis response and cause some cancellation. This can cause problems in many areas. You might actually get a much more accurate sound field and better image height if you turned those upper speakers off.

JonnyFive

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:39 pm »
You will actually get much better integration to the sub if you cross them over to the sub at 60Hz or below. So I'd let them play on down a little more.

Also those speakers that you are using for added height does get is signal that is very much like the mains. They can actually disrupt the on axis response and cause some cancellation. This can cause problems in many areas. You might actually get a much more accurate sound field and better image height if you turned those upper speakers off.

Thanks Danny, I'll try 60hz.  Even at 80hz they integrate well.

I know you're not a fan of those heights... I do find that Audyssey DSX heights make the front sound stage muddy, but Dolby heights (which are much lower in volume, as well as matrixed differently) don't have this same effect.  The difference is pretty dramatic, and a watch of Tron Legacy or the bridge of Khazad-dum scene in LOTR give evidence to this.  Without them on I feel like I'm missing a dimension that I've come to really enjoy.  Its an issue of the sound coming from the towers versus the sound coming from the front wall.  I'll keep tinkering with it.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:54 pm »
  Thanks Jon for posting your thoughts and comments about your N3S. I agree they are wonderful sounding speakers with a lot of detail, clarity, and openess from top to bottom especially if they are upgraded with all the performance options including  platinum bypass capacitors. In my opinion, all of Danny's speaker designs sound great, but the N3S and N3 TL towers are two of my personnal favorites.

Ron

JonnyFive

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:58 pm »
  Thanks Jon for posting your thoughts and comments about your N3S. I agree they are wonderful sounding speakers with a lot of detail, clarity, and openess from top to bottom especially if they are upgraded with all the performance options including  platinum bypass capacitors. In my opinion, all of Danny's speaker designs sound great, but the N3S and N3 TL towers are two of my personnal favorites.

Ron

You did a great job on these, Ron.  I'm really impressed. :)

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:59 am »
I know you're glad to have finally taken the leap into upgrading your speakers after all your research.  I hope I was of some help.

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to hear them. :thumb:

JonnyFive

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:51 pm »
I know you're glad to have finally taken the leap into upgrading your speakers after all your research.  I hope I was of some help.

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to hear them. :thumb:

You got it! :)