MOG and AppleTV (gen 3)

grimace

MOG and AppleTV (gen 3)
« on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:48 am »
Just signed up for MOG and set it up over my Apple TV using AirPlay from my iPad/iTunes from computer, optical toslink into my Peachtree Decco2 to my N3TLs and it sounds awesome!  320kb/sec and so easy to control with the iPad. Even Pandora One sounds good.

(http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/computer-audio/airplay.html)

Now, please feel free to suggest some good music to try. Am pretty happy with the amount available on MOG. Danny, just listened to Roger Waters Three Wishes that I remember you commenting on a while back it that Genie voice was wild.   :green:

geowak

Re: MOG and AppleTV (gen 3)
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:56 am »
While I do not know what kind of music you enjoy, I have recently added a Jimi Hendrix new release; "People Hell & Angels" to my MOG favorites. It's just awesome and a great Legacy recording.

grimace

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:59 am »
While I do not know what kind of music you enjoy, I have recently added a Jimi Hendrix new release; "People Hell & Angels" to my MOG favorites. It's just awesome and a great Legacy recording.

Other than Country & Rap, I pretty much listen to everything else.  Will check out the Hendrix one. Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:01 am »
Just signed up for MOG and set it up over my Apple TV using AirPlay from my iPad/iTunes from computer, optical toslink into my Peachtree Decco2 to my N3TLs and it sounds awesome!  320kb/sec and so easy to control with the iPad. Even Pandora One sounds good.

Now, please feel free to suggest some good music to try. Am pretty happy with the amount available on MOG. Danny, just listened to Roger Waters Three Wishes that I remember you commenting on a while back it that Genie voice was wild.   :green:

Try the music circle " what  are youlistening to right now".  There are tons of great suggestions  there

I signed up for Rdio a few months back  and  have  been  getting lots of great suggestions  from   that circle eve since.  I tried to joion MOG but   it's not available n Canada,  strange that Rdio is.  Most of Rdio's content sounds  good as well.  Also connected via toslink   and listening  thru my N3 TL's  until the OB7's are done :)

-jay

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2013, 04:04 am »
I do a lot of my listening via Spotify streaming to my Apple TV and then to my Peachtree Decco. To Me, it sounds great (also 320 Kbps), and the ability to just be able to play any damn thing I want is quite amazing. Discovering tons of new music this way, too.

What a time to be a music lover!

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2013, 03:22 pm »
That does sound pretty awesome.

nickd

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2013, 05:33 pm »
I use a Sonos, PS audio PW DAC with the computer bridge (Mac mini server). I haven't had a CD player in my rig for over a year now. Never thought I would go that way, i'm a bit "old school". Thousands of songs at your finger tips is quite amazing indeed. I still can't believe I was missing out on Pandora for all those years. The "Music Genome" has some tunes that you can't find anywhere and the resolution isn't half bad with a good digital front end.

Danny gets partial credit for my tech change. Hearing his rig (Super V's, Dodd & DB labs) at RMAF and the ease of selecting music changed my mind. I've had a lot of fun building speakers since I met him too. :thumb:

grimace

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2013, 09:09 pm »
I use a Sonos, PS audio PW DAC with the computer bridge (Mac mini server). I haven't had a CD player in my rig for over a year now. Never thought I would go that way, i'm a bit "old school". Thousands of songs at your finger tips is quite amazing indeed. I still can't believe I was missing out on Pandora for all those years. The "Music Genome" has some tunes that you can't find anywhere and the resolution isn't half bad with a good digital front end.

Danny gets partial credit for my tech change. Hearing his rig (Super V's, Dodd & DB labs) at RMAF and the ease of selecting music changed my mind. I've had a lot of fun building speakers since I met him too. :thumb:

Almost went with Sonos, they are doing some interesting things with streaming over wireless, but gotta say I can't believe how solid the AppleTV/MOG setup is.  I had been going down the Spotify Premium route which offers 320kbps too, but I found that most of the songs were actually at a lower bitrate.  That said, Pandora One sounds really good too.  So fun to have access to so much new & "old" music.

cody69

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm »
I find the ability to run MOG, Spotify, Pandora apps on mac mini or apple device platform amazing for convenience, quality and breadth of material. I stream to a pair of Danny's A/V1-RS speakers in the dining room, A/V-1s in the shop, and even made a pair of X-LS monitors for listening to music in the gazebo and on the deck.

Having the ability to put in an artist and letting the system select similar music has brought me in touch with more artists that I could ever imagine. It is a wonderful time to be into music.

neekomax

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2013, 02:47 am »

I just realized that you asked for music recommendations, I got all excited talking about streaming and forgot all about that...

The "What Are You Listening to Right Now" thread is pretty cool, I post there occasionally, and also go looking for new stuff to check out there as well when I'm stumped for what to listen to. But it's a little one-note in terms of genre for me, though, there's like 3 or 4 guys who post constantly there, and they seem to have a limitless supply of obscure 80's and 90's garage and alt-rock acts, and seemingly not much else. It's actually quite astonishing, the depth of these dudes' collections... and I've heard of almost not a single artist  :lol:

I'm thinking of starting a new thread called, "What music have you discovered this week?" (or something like that). Would be cool if that caught on, give us streaming guys a place to share and talk about discoveries, and hopefully have a healthy mix of genres.

Meanwhile, I've just found a decent thread on Reddit r/audiophile of people posting their 'deep listening' album recommendations, checked a few things out, and it's good. Have a scroll through, a lot of genres there (well mostly rock-ish stuff, but dig down a little and you'll find others):

http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/19tcpo/recommended_deep_listening_albums_lossless/

Here's a few things I'm digging, all of which I think are very well recorded and system-worthy:

Kimbra - Vows - Yes, this the woman who sings on Gotye's giant hit song, "Somebody That I Used to Know". She is the better artist IMO. This album is sonically pretty innovative. Genre is hard to define, but it's in pop-post-rock-Bjork-sort-of-not really category.

Mighty Sam McClain - Give it up to Love Oh, hell yeah, nicely recorded blues. Nothing fancy, but authentic, quality electric blues done by a real deal dude.

Kurt Elling - Man in the Air, and The Gate Kurt Elling is a rarity - a male jazz vocalist, and one that is clearly a serious musician. Check out the great arrangements of 'Norwegian Wood' and Joe Jackson's 'Stepping Out' on The Gate.

Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street Just getting into this Scottish duo, very natural sounding recording with beautiful, rich mostly acoustic alt-pop songs.

Fernec Snetberger Trio - Nomad CRAZY acoustic gyspy flamenco jazz type stuff. Wonderfully recorded.

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid I got this one from an ACer, Diamond Dog, like over a year ago. Still listen to it regularly. British rock, neat lyrics too.

Omar - Best By Far - British Nu-soul from the turn of the millenium. Super creative, catchy songs, and he uses bassoons and oboes on one of the tracks!  :)

Jim Kremens - Spun - Nice sounding singer-songwriter stuff.

Peter Erskine - The Interlochen Concert - This is the best sounding live jazz album I've ever heard. Piano trio.

grimace

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2013, 03:00 am »
Thanks Neeko...some great suggestions there and new things for me which is always fun.

Just loaded up a new playlist on MOG with your suggestions. Found everything except for Omar

harley52

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2013, 01:02 am »
Until Mog figures out how to set up a site for music streaming they will fall by the wayside. And Mog isn't available on most streamers.
 I had no problem hooking up to Pandora and Rhapsody and bought membership to both. Both are user friendly. I use a dedicated laptop for my source so I can have all the streamers I want.

WC

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2013, 01:56 am »
Until Mog figures out how to set up a site for music streaming they will fall by the wayside. And Mog isn't available on most streamers.
 I had no problem hooking up to Pandora and Rhapsody and bought membership to both. Both are user friendly. I use a dedicated laptop for my source so I can have all the streamers I want.

What streamer do you use? MOG has desktop apps for computers and portable devices. Is available on the squeezebox and sonos streamers.

grimace

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:02 am »

Not sure I get what you mean?  Works on my laptop, desktop, iPad, phone, etc. and sounds great

harley52

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2013, 02:04 am »
Maybe things have changed at Mog, the last time I tried to use their service was back in August/Sept. I'll go over to their site and see the results. Maybe they had enough complaints to make there service avail. to more streamers. With a user friendly site.
 BTW, can you get the Beatles at Mog?Thanks

harley52

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2013, 02:12 am »
I just went over to Mog and if I want to use it I have to pay or do some gimmikey things with friends. So I can't say if it has changed or not.

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2013, 06:04 am »
I just went over to Mog and if I want to use it I have to pay or do some gimmikey things with friends. So I can't say if it has changed or not.

Not sure if you'd be interested but I heard on the radio today that  Rdio.com   is  giving away 6 month memberships right now for free.  I think they pretty  much  have the  same selection as Mog but  they don't let you  choose  bit rates.  So far since I've been there,  most  albums sound very good ( through my PC at home, not mobile as they  apparently reduce   the bit rates  for mobile  connections)

-jay

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2013, 08:00 am »

Didn't you go through all this in another thread? You are the only person who can't seem to figure out how to use MOG. Maybe it's just not for you. If you like Pandora, then by all means stick with it.

neekomax

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:52 pm »
Didn't you go through all this in another thread? You are the only person who can't seem to figure out how to use MOG. Maybe it's just not for you. If you like Pandora, then by all means stick with it.

I was a bit confused by harley52's comments as well, but then I went to MOG and tried to get a free account (as they do promote themselves as now being free), and they were like, 'ok, which plan would you like?', and the 'free' one was NOT one of the choices. Kinda wtf.

:dunno:

No worries, though, Spotify is certainly doing the trick. They lack just a couple of features that would be cool, but otherwise it's a fantastic service. 

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2013, 05:46 pm »
I googled Mog free and right at the top:

http://mog.com/promos/trial_info

I set up another account no problems, and in the account tab it indicates free as long as you do the networking sharing thing, which is decidedly not my thing. Then you have the 4.99 and up. It's not for everyone. If sound quality is not a priority and having access to certain premier groups like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin *is* a priority then MOG is not the best option.