Got a set of used LS6 Speakers, Questions now!

Danny Richie

Re: Got a set of used LS6 Speakers, Questions now!
« Reply #40 on: 17 Feb 2013, 12:11 am »
I second what Cheeseboy said.

ufokillerz

« Reply #41 on: 17 Feb 2013, 02:28 am »
Thanks for the replies, will definitely give that a shot tomorrow.

Since i'm at it with questions, does the orientation of the Ribbons matter, like ribbons on the outside, vs ribbons on the inside?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #42 on: 17 Feb 2013, 02:46 am »
Neo's to the outside.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2013, 04:10 am by SoCalWJS »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #43 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:57 am »
Only in the Matrix. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #44 on: 18 Feb 2013, 03:08 am »
Only in the Matrix.
No, Neo was on the inside in The Matrix

ufokillerz

« Reply #45 on: 18 Feb 2013, 03:30 am »
got some work done today, stuffed my cabinets with polyfill, and put on some sorbothane feet i had around, it was previously on felt pads on hardwood floor, not sure if it was the polyfill or the sorbothane feet raising it above the floor, it definitely sounds a lot better!

para7452

« Reply #46 on: 18 Feb 2013, 06:13 am »
Well, I was looking at building some Super V's, but that seems to be out of the question now that the kit is off of the market, unless someone knows something that I don't! Bah, bad timing. Anyway, I'm in the market for new speakers after about 13 years with my NHT 2.9's. One speaker I've been considering (other than the V) is the LS6, now built by East Street Audio. They're a bit over 5K, about what I figured the Supers would have taken to finish. Does anyone know of the East Street version?  My room is 12 wide, 31 deep, 8 tall. I will be using the speaks for 2ch (mostly) and HT. I have good digital front end (maybe analog someday) ARC LS16 pre and ARC HD 220 amp, so I think that's covered pretty well for now. The speakers will be placed about one to two feet closer to the listening area than the 65 inch DLP that they will sit to the sides of, and about ten feet from the front wall.

You guys think they might be a good match? 

I've also been looking at the newest generation of Ohm speakers. Anyone have any experience with those?

Thank you in advance,
James

Cheeseboy

« Reply #47 on: 18 Feb 2013, 07:21 pm »
Para,

I think the LS6's would fill that long room with high quality sound very nicely.  I'm not one to speak to the speakers being 10 ft from the front wall but there are many here that could.  Hugh from Angel City Audio is a man of integrity.  I would trust him to build a pair of LS6 for me in a heartbeat.  East Street Audio is his distributor.   They also carry the Melody Line of products.  If you can get a demo of the Melody PB-101 preamp it might do a really good job in front of your Hybrid Audio Research Amp.  I was able to listen to one with some LS speakers in the system.   I liked it alot.   

Cheeseboy

« Reply #48 on: 18 Feb 2013, 07:23 pm »
No, Neo was on the inside in The Matrix

Once they unplugged him he was on the outside.  Neo's on the outside!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #49 on: 18 Feb 2013, 08:06 pm »
got some work done today, stuffed my cabinets with polyfill, and put on some sorbothane feet i had around, it was previously on felt pads on hardwood floor, not sure if it was the polyfill or the sorbothane feet raising it above the floor, it definitely sounds a lot better!
Could be either or both - that's the problem when you do 2 things at once. It's tough to tell which change is responsible for what part of the improvements. I think both of the things you did will improve the sound.

The main thing is that you like the sound better, so it was worthwhile.  :thumb:

para7452

« Reply #50 on: 19 Feb 2013, 05:16 am »
Thank you,  Cheeseb,  for your information. I've decided to try the big Ohms for now. Tough to argue with a 120 day-in home audition, and I really like dealing with the owner of the company directly.  Danny seems great as well. Maybe one of these days I'll be dealing with him. Heck, he's bound to replace the Super V's with something even better, as his speaker designs always seem to offer more. And thank you for the info on Hugh of Angel City. I'll know that's a safe direction as well.
Cheers.
James

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 19 Feb 2013, 02:42 pm »
Welcome to AC.

If you like the Ohm speakers then you might also really like our X-Omni, A/V-O, or O-3 kits. All are omni designs. If you like building kits and want to try one just for fun then give the X-Omni a shot. They are only $169 a pair. And you might like them better then the Ohm speakers.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #52 on: 19 Feb 2013, 03:55 pm »
As Cheeseboy mentioned, Hugh at ACA is building them out and I am a dealer.  I don't know where you are located, but if you ask around here you may find somebody with a pair of LS6's or LS9's who would be willing to demo them for you.  The LS6's and the Ohms are very different presentations.  If anybody else is interested, I believe there are a couple of pairs of each model still in stock.

para7452

« Reply #53 on: 19 Feb 2013, 08:07 pm »
Well, hello Danny. I appreciate the ideas. I may just have to try one of the 0-3's as rear surrounds, if I like the Ohms, or I may just try a less involved kit, just, as you say, for fun.  And woofersus, if the Ohms don't work out, you'll likely hear from me!

Hey, how low do the L6s go anyway? I wish to avoid the use of subs for 2 channel music.

Thanks again.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 19 Feb 2013, 08:51 pm »
Hey, how low do the L6s go anyway? I wish to avoid the use of subs for 2 channel music.

-3db down is mid to low 20's in most rooms.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #55 on: 19 Feb 2013, 09:57 pm »
Well, hello Danny. I appreciate the ideas. I may just have to try one of the 0-3's as rear surrounds, if I like the Ohms, or I may just try a less involved kit, just, as you say, for fun.  And woofersus, if the Ohms don't work out, you'll likely hear from me!

Thanks again.
My measured in room response LS-6'es 1/3 Octave with no sub:

mojave

« Reply #56 on: 20 Feb 2013, 06:56 pm »
Here is my native in-room response of my LS-6's. With EQ in the bass region they are -3dB at 16 Hz. With the IB subs added I have a -3dB point of 6 Hz.

ufokillerz

« Reply #57 on: 20 Feb 2013, 11:41 pm »
listening to music, the LS6 definitely have something my previous speakers didn't have

will need to work on a few more upgrades, but on the good note, i have a Modwright Oppo 105 on order, and 2 Merrill Audio Veritas coming.

The sad part is that asides from the 2 nice power cables the merrill comes with, all my other cables are from monoprice, speaker cables, xlr cables everything.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb 2013, 11:44 pm »
Get the power cables from Triode Wire Labs (Pete).

They are very good.

ufokillerz

« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2013, 01:51 am »
Get the power cables from Triode Wire Labs (Pete).

They are very good.

my amps will have triode wire labs cables, the merrill audio veritas
i have 3 cables from mojo audio which is made of 8awg nos western electric cable, that is the same brand that i've read Pete post that he uses for his cables.