This hobby is some kind of sickness........

Cheeseboy

Re: This hobby is some kind of sickness........
« Reply #60 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:22 pm »
Well, at least I'm not so inept/senile as to do that.

In fact, I'd never do that .

I'm retired.  :green:

Now that is funny!

dragoonxp20

« Reply #61 on: 31 Jan 2013, 08:01 pm »
I feel left out. I'm only 20. Curious what happened though as I'm contemplating how to hook my super-vs up when I get them.

Trismos

« Reply #62 on: 31 Jan 2013, 08:38 pm »
I feel left out. I'm only 20. Curious what happened though as I'm contemplating how to hook my super-vs up when I get them.

20? pffft   Are you even allowed in here?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #63 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:07 pm »
Welcome Dragoon!

Some of us have senior moments and may not remember how they fixed thier system.   

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:21 pm »
no offense im only 45 but twenty does count because they are they are the future of hifi

rockdrummer

« Reply #65 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:40 pm »
I'm 35.  But the way I act talking about new gear and building stuff is more like 11. 

At least that's what I look like to my wife and kids.

Ben

Trismos

« Reply #66 on: 31 Jan 2013, 09:51 pm »
I'm 35.  But the way I act talking about new gear and building stuff is more like 11. 

At least that's what I look like to my wife and kids.

Ben

I'm 52 - but when I unwrapped that first P-Audio coaxial - woah.    Hey Rockdrummer. This one's for you:

Dave

steve in jersey

« Reply #67 on: 31 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm »
Nah, it's no worse then any other "diversion" that other people might have.

As long as you
are taking care of the "big stuff" (family, living expenses, etc..) first , you're entitled to some "luxury" audio items. If you get the significant others interested in the "fruit" of your audio hobby, the feelings of guilt lessen to a much greater degree.  :thumb:

(This is coming from a bachelor, but if I had my "druthers" this could be a nice diversion to share with a "wifey") (Man,I'm glad that moment of "seriousness" is over !)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #68 on: 1 Feb 2013, 12:19 am »
Compared to my friends with Sailboats, Wake Boats and Fishing Boats my little hobby should make my wife and family very happy.  My wifes old license plates were "SURFWDO".  She sees me now more than ever. 

We don't golf well together.  So we listen to music.  Live and at home.

rockdrummer

« Reply #69 on: 1 Feb 2013, 12:36 am »
Trismos (Dave) Nice Ayotte!  Big kit.  Hobby or career?  I have opened my P Audio coaxes 2 different times just to look at them.  I haven't ordered the bottoms yet.  Just the tops.  Like a kid in a candy store. 

Trismos

« Reply #70 on: 1 Feb 2013, 01:43 am »
That is such a classic kit Ben. Very nice. I have a Gretsch set now. A present from my good wife. And it's just a hobby. My OTHER sickness. I am starting to collect snare drums too - have a beautiful 10 lug Pork Pie and a 12 lug Ludwig stadium.

I have a pair of N3 TLs that I augmented with a pair of servo 12s and amp with the intent of upgrading to the Super V. I recently bought the rest of the Super V kit and it's sitting in different boxes waiting for spring. Whenever a thread like this pops up I soak it up. I am always keen on how others have done their cross-overs as I will be doing my own this time (Skiing Ninja Sean built my N3 cross-overs). I know how much I like reading about other peoples builds so I will make an effort to document mine better this time.

Hope you do the same!!

soundofrockets

« Reply #71 on: 1 Feb 2013, 08:24 am »
 John.... you are one of the few people who has heard 6, 9 and the supver V.............how would you compare the 6 vs 9s vs the super Vs.  and if Danny can chime in...where does the super 7 or whatever the hell they are called stack up against the usual suspects.....txs

sl_1800

« Reply #72 on: 1 Feb 2013, 02:47 pm »
soundofrockets,  I have not lived with all of them but I have heard all of the above speakers.  As for me Super 7's are in my near future!!!!!!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #73 on: 1 Feb 2013, 05:11 pm »
Last night I got the urge to throw on some Floyd. Pulled out my MoFi The Wall CD's and put the first one on. I just kept turning the volume up.

Let's just say I'm very happy with my decision to get the Super V's  :green: I hate to think how loud I was playing - there was probaly some temporary hearing damage that occurred (at least I hope it was temporary). I freely admit that, when I am in the mood, the bass is very important to me. The kick drum and bass line from Another Brick in the Wall (part I and II) were so visceral.

Each speaker (LS-6, LS-9, and the Super V) is an incredible performance for the price value. Each one has it's strengths compared to the other (the LS-9 is a bigger speaker that gives you more performance than the LS-6 - a bit more extension in the bottom and a bit more volume which results in greater dynamics).

As sl_1800 posted (at least how I take it), The Serenity 7's are another step up. I think I'm beginning to understand, on a different level, why Danny chose to go in the direction he has. The Serenity 7's are trying to blend the advantages of each design philosophy and blend them in to one higher performance speaker. That results in a more expensive speaker, and that is a pretty big step (laws of diminishing returns - as you get near the top end in audio, even small improvements can cost a lot more money).

Soundofrockets -

I really would have liked to spend more time listening to your setup, as it was very impressive, but I had to get out to catch my flight.

All of my impressions are very highly room/equipment variable - that is, I have only been able to control the variables at my house. I believe that the room/speaker interaction is probably the biggest variable there is. At RMAF, they have to deal with a hotel room, but they get to make a bunch of equipment changes. At your place, some equipment got swapped, but I'm not familiar with your room....

....so the following opinions are based on my conclusions with my equipment in my room. With those caveats....

I think the Super V's produce far more depth to the soundstage than the LS-6's. I think the Bass slam is better with the Super V's. I think the speed of the Bass (down to the upper 20's) is quicker in the LS'6.

I'm having more trouble with the rest of it and am still playing around with setup. The P-driver has a different tone to them than the Peerless 6.5 and the Neo 8's. Not quite sure which I like better. I got very used to the sound of the LS-6, so right now the tone of the Super V's is different, and therefore "wrong"

But I find that that on most tracks, I am enjoying listening to the Super V's more.  :thumb:

(FWIW, YMMV, etc)

I will probably start taking measurements next week when I get more confident with the positioning of the speakers and where I put the room treatments. I also need to gain some confidence in the settings on the Servo amps - I think I can improve things a bit there. For example, I put Pete Belasco's Deeper on, and the low note was not there. I know these speakers can reproduce it (with ease - I heard it at RMAF), but it wasn't there. Room node? Speaker positioning? Knob/switch on amp? - no clue at this point, but I will get it figured out.  :icon_twisted:

Trismos

« Reply #74 on: 1 Feb 2013, 05:23 pm »
SoCalWJS

Did you post room dimensions and equipment anywhere's? I haven't touched the PEQ yet nor have I really fiddled with the rest of the Knobs and switches as it seems quite tight at the moment as a sub to my N3's. But the time will come and I've been saving all of the Super V threads for future review.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #75 on: 1 Feb 2013, 05:56 pm »
SoCalWJS

Did you post room dimensions and equipment anywhere's? I haven't touched the PEQ yet nor have I really fiddled with the rest of the Knobs and switches as it seems quite tight at the moment as a sub to my N3's. But the time will come and I've been saving all of the Super V threads for future review.
I'll post here again (it's in other threads somewhere....).

2 channel setup: (this is a hybrid 2 channel/HT room)
Source is an unmodified Oppo 95. Preamp is the ModWright LS100 with tubes rolled to Shuguang Black Treasure CV181-Z's and a 1964 Mullard 5AR4 4 notch. Herbies tube dampers on all. Amps are the Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks. Interconnects are Morrow MA-3 Reference with standard RCA termination. Speaker wire is the old Kimber 8 TC (Black and blue). Power treatment consists of an UberBUSS, BUSSStop and RSA Haley. Pretty much stock power cords (with one from Triode Pete on the Uber - one of my next planned upgrades)

Room is about 15 1/2 x 17 1/2 with cathedral ceiling (low is behind the speakers) rear opens to a lower floor (think of the room as a large loft in a mountain cabin and you'll get the idea). Room treatments are 2 242 absorbers and 4 AQD-1 diffusors that get moved around regularly. OC703 chunk traps in the front corners. Carpeted floors, heavy curtains along much of the walls.

I think that covers it.  :scratch:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #76 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:01 pm »
The V series seems to really sing with tube amps, or with low powered SS amps like the First Watt stuff.  Before making any final judgement on them, you have to hear them with a tube amp.  It fleshes them out, tonally, and creates an almost holographic soundstage, with little to no loss in dynamics and jump factor. 

Trismos

« Reply #77 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:03 pm »

Room is about 15 1/2 x 17 1/2 with cathedral ceiling (low is behind the speakers) rear opens to a lower floor (think of the room as a large loft in a mountain cabin and you'll get the idea).

Hey! Exactly like my room......
Well ok, not even remotely. Sounds like a tough room to have all that great gear in. My sympathies.

Trismos

« Reply #78 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:06 pm »
The V series seems to really sing with tube amps, or with low powered SS amps like the First Watt stuff.  Before making any final judgement on them, you have to hear them with a tube amp.  It fleshes them out, tonally, and creates an almost holographic soundstage, with little to no loss in dynamics and jump factor.

I've longed for a lower watt tube amp for some time, maybe a pair of mono-blocks. I have a wish list folder that I keep adding to. Any recommendations with the Super V in mind would be appreciated!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #79 on: 1 Feb 2013, 06:15 pm »
I hope to at some point. I've got an old pair of modified Dynaco Mark IV's in a closet someplace. I haven't had then hooked up since 1986. I believe we put them on the bench and they were just over 40 watts each. I've been in contact with the Dynaco Doctor to do a rebuild. I would love to give them a listen again. 8)