This hobby is some kind of sickness........

Danny Richie

Re: This hobby is some kind of sickness........
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:39 pm »
You might give Dan a call and ask him about his pre-amp outputs.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #41 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:58 pm »
 :oops: :oops: :oops:

Nevermind! 10-22!

Operator error!

Major Homer Simpson moment DOH!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(I don't want to say what I did wrong because it is so embarrasing as to be humiliating and would likely cause me to never participate in further conversations on this forum).

Working now. Time to ply around with settings - seem to have a slight hum in there, but I can work with that.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #42 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:00 pm »
You might give Dan a call and ask him about his pre-amp outputs.
I was about to post that question when my mistake hit me like a bolt of lightning!

Thanks to all for their suggestions and my apologies for my stupidity.  :oops:

studiotech

« Reply #43 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:08 pm »
Well, glad you got that sorted out.  What was the error....we won't make fun, promise.   :no_see:

About that hum.  Are the Servo amps perhaps plugged into different outlets than the rest of the equipment? Are those outlets actually on a different circuit than the other gear?  Are the RCA cables connecting the system far away from the speakers?  Maybe the hum was always there, but with 10+ dB more sensitive speakers, you can hear it more clearly.

Greg

SoCalWJS

« Reply #44 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:36 pm »
Well, glad you got that sorted out.  What was the error....we won't make fun, promise.   :no_see:

About that hum.  Are the Servo amps perhaps plugged into different outlets than the rest of the equipment? Are those outlets actually on a different circuit than the other gear?  Are the RCA cables connecting the system far away from the speakers?  Maybe the hum was always there, but with 10+ dB more sensitive speakers, you can hear it more clearly.

Greg
I exercise my Constitutional Rights and hereby invoke the Fifth Amendment on the basis that my answer might tend to incriminate me (and boy would it prove how stooopid I can be).

The hum is a by product of spatial limitations. Too much stuff in too small of a room. Until I get stuff outta here, It's gonna be tough. That's partly why it took me so long to figure out what was wrong. I have to go through a series of contortions to squeeze between and step over speakers/amps/power conditions on the floor then peer behind the equipment rack at a sharp angle. I'm not that flexible anymore (never really was) and I'm a little tired out from doing it over and over and over and (you get the idea....) and need to sit for a bit.

persisting1

« Reply #45 on: 30 Jan 2013, 07:35 pm »
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Nevermind! 10-22!

Operator error!

Major Homer Simpson moment DOH!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(I don't want to say what I did wrong because it is so embarrasing as to be humiliating and would likely cause me to never participate in further conversations on this forum).

Working now. Time to ply around with settings - seem to have a slight hum in there, but I can work with that.

Don't worry; we've all been there  :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #46 on: 30 Jan 2013, 07:47 pm »
John,

Welcome to the club. :)

As old as I am, I stil find out on a daily basis how much I didn't know.  :oops:

rockdrummer

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jan 2013, 08:44 pm »
Try singing into a microphone without a chord in it.  My band mates still like to make fun of me about that. 

We have all been there.  I build a set of AV 1 mini monitors for my parents and I was going to build the cabinet with the crossover board in it already.  Danny pointed out that I need to make that board small enough to slide through the woofer hole.  That would have been a problem if I ever wanted to get that out.  That was even mentioned in all of the threads I read up on.  I'm building stands for my brother's XLS encores.  Cut the tops and bottoms of the cabinets and cut the stand tops at the same time.  Had to glue on another 1.5 inches to one and cut an entire new one because I didn't take into account the depth includes front and back baffles.  Oops.  I better stop.  Don't worry about mistakes that make you feel stupid.  That's how I am learning!

Ben

Cheeseboy

« Reply #48 on: 30 Jan 2013, 09:26 pm »
Oh well.  Quiet time is over. 

Resume Rockin!

Trismos

« Reply #49 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:16 pm »
I exercise my Constitutional Rights and hereby invoke the Fifth Amendment on the basis that my answer might tend to incriminate me (and boy would it prove how stooopid I can be).

The hum is a by product of spatial limitations. Too much stuff in too small of a room. Until I get stuff outta here, It's gonna be tough. That's partly why it took me so long to figure out what was wrong. I have to go through a series of contortions to squeeze between and step over speakers/amps/power conditions on the floor then peer behind the equipment rack at a sharp angle. I'm not that flexible anymore (never really was) and I'm a little tired out from doing it over and over and over and (you get the idea....) and need to sit for a bit.

If you could find the courage, I for one won't laugh at you. I have the full kit here myself and haven't put it together yet.... waiting for spring so I can assemble the cabinets out in my otherwise chilly shed. -45f here today.

I am not too sure myself about a few things - mainly that the servo amps have a left and a right input. If I want the left Super V to only have the left channel signal, do I still need to have a Y adapter and feed both amp input signals from the left channel on the pre-amp or doesn't one RCA from the left out on the pre-amp to the left in on the servo serve the purpose?

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm »
I am not too sure myself about a few things - mainly that the servo amps have a left and a right input. If I want the left Super V to only have the left channel signal, do I still need to have a Y adapter and feed both amp input signals from the left channel on the pre-amp or doesn't one RCA from the left out on the pre-amp to the left in on the servo serve the purpose?

You can use just one output from your pre-amp to one of the inputs on the servo amp. You won't need to feed the signal to both inputs unless you need more input voltage to the servo amp. In other words if you are turning the gain setting on the servo amp almost all the way up to balance with the output of the upper end (your amp is REAL easy to drive) then use both inputs.

Trismos

« Reply #51 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:30 pm »
Thx Danny

I am actually going to use my Virtue M-901 to drive the coaxials from the speaker outs and use the line level outs for the servo amps. I'm not sure what the line level output wattage's are but I'm hoping this is a good match.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #52 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:29 am »
Trismos, I did just that with my 901 when I was running the coax sealed with a pair of sealed servos under it.  No problems and had plenty of gain left on the dial of the servo amp, and I was only plugged in to one of the inputs on the servo amp (no Y-splitter).  You should be good to go.  :thumb:

Trismos

« Reply #53 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:32 am »
Trismos, I did just that with my 901 when I was running the coax sealed with a pair of sealed servos under it.  No problems and had plenty of gain left on the dial of the servo amp, and I was only plugged in to one of the inputs on the servo amp (no Y-splitter).  You should be good to go.  :thumb:

Thanks for that little bit of confirmation Jonathon.

Regards
Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #54 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:15 am »
This is fun!

I've spent a few hours listening to a bunch of my regular demo material, and the early impressions are exactly where you'd figure they'd be. The sheer dynamic capbility of these speakers on well recorded material can really throw you if you're not prepared. I was listening to a Jazz trio where the song starts off very soft, so I turned it up. When the drum joins in a few bars later....

WOW! :o I reached for the volume button very quickly.

There are tradeoffs, that much is obvious. The speed of the bass (except for the very lowest octave or so) on the LS-6'es is incredible and you get spoiled by it.....

.....but the OB bass on the Super V's..... oh my! What has been said is so true. FAR less room loading even at high volumes. It leads to much clearer mid-range. Vocals on some songs by artists who tend to mumble and are hard to understand are now very clear (examples so far are Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth and Rickie Lee Jones Chuck E's in Love CD's) everything is soooooooo much easier to hear.

One of the other things that is immeditely different with the Super V's is when an instrument has reverb added. It's in a different league. i wish I could describe it - you really need to experience the depth that it can add.

I'll get back at some point with more detailed impressions, but I'm still making lots of adjustments (which is getting tough to do because there is just too much stuff in the room - and I know that's holding back the performance, but it is what it is right now).

A thought struck me while I was listening to Perter Gabriel's "Security" SACD "Lay your hands on me" at a fairly good volume: What if I run the speaker wires from my amp to the LS-6'es instead of the upper drivers of the Super V's while the servo amps/OB woofers are still hooked up..... :scratch:   :green:

......much experimentation ahead  :thumb:

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:25 am »
Glad to hear you figured out the problem. May a private pm to what you did, I just cant stand the suspense not knowing what was wrong. I promise not to repeat.

sortner

« Reply #56 on: 31 Jan 2013, 02:56 pm »
I certainly would not be embarrassed of anything you did, that's is how we learn....I recently spent an hour hooking and re-hooking up my new preamp trying to figure why I was getting no sound, turns out I hadn't turned the amp on  :oops: and I am only 47 - What's next going to work with my underwear on the outside of my pants?

Steve

cheap-Jack

« Reply #57 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:33 pm »
Hi.
I certainly would not be embarrassed of anything you did, that's is how we learn....I recently spent an hour hooking and re-hooking up my new preamp trying to figure why I was getting no sound, turns out I hadn't turned the amp on  :oops: and I am only 47 - What's next going to work with my underwear on the outside of my pants?

Steve

These sorta 'silly' things always happen.

Only last nite, as my project to rip my favourite music from tapes, vinyl records, CD & DVD to MP3 (using a special software), I switched the stereo pair of O/P signal ICs from my Blu-ray player to my phono-preamp to provide the audio signal to feed my DVD burner. I stupidly hooked up the left channel cable to the wrong O/P jack at the back of my phono-preamp.

So I found out there was only right channel got sound. It took me a while to find out why. Something so simple I should never so stupidly screw up & I yet I did.

Old man sickness coming too soon or what?? :scratch:

c-J

SoCalWJS

« Reply #58 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:43 pm »
I certainly would not be embarrassed of anything you did, that's is how we learn....I recently spent an hour hooking and re-hooking up my new preamp trying to figure why I was getting no sound, turns out I hadn't turned the amp on  :oops: and I am only 47 - What's next going to work with my underwear on the outside of my pants?Steve
Well, at least I'm not so inept/senile as to do that.

In fact, I'd never do that .

I'm retired.  :green:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #59 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:12 pm »
Soooooooooo...  I guess you weren't in the room with us at RMAF when Stephen Stone (with his usual directness) informed us that we had the L/R channels swapped.  Seasoned professionals can look realty dumb very fast when the obvious is not so obvious.   :duh:

Dense is the same worldwide.

Doh!!!