OTL amps powering Vandersteen speakers

mgsboedmisodpc2

OTL amps powering Vandersteen speakers
« on: 29 Jan 2012, 06:27 pm »
has anyone ever heard the model 2 of any vintage or a model 3 using Atma-Sphere gear in particular the 30 mk3.1.

Is the Vandersteen model 2 CE signature still an 8 ohm speaker

Mr645

Re: OTL amps powering Vandersteen speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:00 pm »
Vandersteen speakers are not hard to drive.  I would guess that the combo would sound beautiful.  Perhaps a bit of a warm presentation and probably not to concert levels, but a very musical combination

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2012, 12:20 am »
mgs*, this is somewhat not applicable, but I drove my 5As with Atma-Sphere M-60 M3.1s.  Even tho the 5As put vey little demand on the amps in the lower-2 octaves of bass, and even tho I do NOT listen at high levels, I was never quite satisfied with the sounds of this combination, and I do NOT know why.  IOW, I have no good idea why I didn't love the sounds; I know only that I didn't.  It wasn't lack of power or macrodynamics--I'm now using single 30Watts-into-8 Marantz MA-24s on my 3 front speakers (the center is a V-steen VCC-1) and love the sounds.  You may love the sounds of M-30 and model 2s; only trying that combination will tell.

* that's quite a handle you use.  :-)
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2012, 04:35 pm by jeffreybehr »

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2012, 10:12 pm »
thanks for the response
I always wanted to try a tube amp with my Vandies but have not yet jumped in yet.  I would use an outboard transformer if I ever take the OTL plunge. i DO NOT rock out with my speakers and when i DO  I use an old pair of maggie SMGs which fill the room much better than my Vandies