To much power? mono or stereo subs?

WarmColors

To much power? mono or stereo subs?
« on: 8 Feb 2020, 04:45 pm »
Hi all,

I am considering getting the Monitor speakers. I will be pairing them with NAD M33 Master series integrated amp. It won't be released until March.
Is 200W overkill for the monitor speakers? I'm not a loud listener at all. Plus the room i will be using is medium size so i don't need to turn it very high to enjoy my music.

Since the M33 offers Stereo subs i was looking into pairing them with the Monitor speakers. (Servo Sub Kit2)
What are your thoughts on stereo pairing subs? I will be treating my room to defuse/absorb all that low energy on the bottom corners should i do the same for the top corners as well? Should i stick to mono sub?

Thank you.

Sonicjoy

Re: To much power? mono or stereo subs?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2020, 09:46 pm »
Nothing wrong with having lots of head room (power over and above the minimum needed) I would not worry about 200 watts being too much. The pair I'm building for my dad will be used with a Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated rated a 185 watts.

Stereo subs are the right way to do it in my opinion. There is stereo information in the bass in most recordings so you should strive to maintain that in playback. Think of it as an extension of the main speakers, left and right. Contrary to popular belief deep bass is not truly mono. There is actually directionality in the lower ranges. Plus introducing bass from a second location tends to smooth the bass response out in the room as well as increase the power of the bass. If you are considering Danny's H frame open baffle subs remember they need to be positioned at least 3 feet from the front wall ideally close to each main speaker.

WarmColors

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2020, 02:13 pm »
https://youtu.be/0pG1qmjMTbE
NAD was going to release the M33 back in March maybe April. Due to Covid it was prostponed.

I had my heart set to purchase the M33. I went in a completely different direction actually building a stack.

If anybody watches the video, any thoughts on the M33?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2020, 02:59 pm »
You can’t have too much power. An amp doesn’t push power to the speakers, it provides what you ask for with the volume control. I’ve had my NX-Otica monitors with everything from a 5 watt integrated amp to the correct monoblocks Which are 600 watts each.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2020, 05:06 pm »
There may be two reasons not to over do power.  Number one is big power costs more. and at a price point may use cheaper parts/ sound quality s less. (THis is not to say the particular amp is such. just a hypothetical)
The second reason is friends. drunken fools, idiots children etc.. a really powerful amp can kill a small speaker instantly, if it is cranked up far beyond the max power handling of the speaker coils.
THis could happen in many ways at a party, some kid, a sort or some flaw of signal before amp that send the killer 100% signal through the amp regardless of the volume control position.
So yes there IS a reason not to use an overkill amp.
But if you are aware of these problems, and guard against the obvious ones. should be OK.
Just be aware such problems exist if using a too big amp

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2020, 05:34 pm »
200 watts is perfectly fine.

nickd

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2020, 07:11 pm »
That NAD will be a great amp.
BTW, speakers are usually damaged from amp clipping and DC offset. Well designed products like those from NAD are typical free from those issues.

200 watts will bring them to life quite safely. Dynamics need headroom. NAD is famous for great dynamic headroom.
Let us know how it sounds when you’re up and running.. :thumb: