Lots of boxed sets on sale at Presto Classical

Ericus Rex

Lots of boxed sets on sale at Presto Classical
« on: 24 Mar 2014, 02:01 pm »
I've ordered from Presto Classical UK many times.  Shipping is about the same as domestic retailers and time is usually 1-2 weeks arrival.

Some good deals here!

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/boxsets.php?k=0&w=all

Ericus Rex

Re: Lots of boxed sets on sale at Presto Classical
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2014, 04:21 pm »
I ordered two box sets and the shipping from UK to Boston was only $4.45.  Cheaper than Amazon methinks.

gab

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:21 pm »
I ordered two box sets and the shipping from UK to Boston was only $4.45.  Cheaper than Amazon methinks.

any "must have" or "records to die for" sets in this sale?

gab

rbbert

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:49 pm »

gab
It depends on your tastes and what you already have.  Yes, there are some widely recommended and well reviewed "all-timers" here.  Just off the top of my head - Mahler Haitink or Bernstein, Bruckner Jochum (earlier DG set), Boult Vaughan Williams, Dvorak Kertesz, Mendelssohn Abbado, undoubtedly many more.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:44 pm »

gab

Generally speaking, all boxed sets are compromises.  No one set will have the best recording of each individual piece.  You can go by the listings themselves to see which boxes have won awards and recommendations.  Or look at the Amazon listings for a given box and read the user reviews (I usually find them more confusing than helpful buy you might not).

If you're into Baroque and earlier you can't go wrong with anything conducted by Pinnock or Gardiner on the Archive label...both in sonics and performance. Their classical recording are more controversial.  I enjoy them but many prefer the more modern orchestra sound and performance technique for this period.  Let us know what you find out.

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2014, 12:46 am »
Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't familiar with Presto Classical. I ordered a couple Shostakovich boxed sets for a great price. Amazing to get 20 discs delivered from England for $4.45.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:05 am »
Glad you found some goodies Photon.

These sale prices are better than Amazon's new prices and even compete with Amazon's USED prices on many of the boxes once you figure in the shipping charges.

If you sign up for their weekly newsletter you'll get lots of biographical/historical info on composers and performers and you'll get the heads-up on current sales.  They're always running specials on performers and/or composers and/or entire labels.